Anchorage Sullivan Arena Remodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchorage Sullivan Arena Remodel

Ok, after seeing all that I can see about the Sully remodel, I am not sure it has met my expectations. The glass looks beautiful, the ice looks fresh, but the seat colors look horrible and the wall paint is very bland. I hate to say it, but I am missing the former colors except the yellow. I compared photos of the new and old and I am not sure I like how the new look. Somebody said that the seats are actually not as comfortable either.

With that said, it appears that the muni went with lowest cost on this. I think they had a great chance to really make this arena shine. However, I have not physically been in the arena, so this evaluation may not be that fair.

I am interested in hearing more about the remodel and see some more pictures if any have any to post. I hate being a Debby downer, but I guess I figured the Sully remodel would match the "gravitas" that the Alaska Airlines Center presented when it was opened.

What do you Anchorage fans say? Suze, DD?

Re: Anchorage Sullivan Arena Remodel

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
    Ok, after seeing all that I can see about the Sully remodel, I am not sure it has met my expectations. The glass looks beautiful, the ice looks fresh, but the seat colors look horrible and the wall paint is very bland. I hate to say it, but I am missing the former colors except the yellow. I compared photos of the new and old and I am not sure I like how the new look. Somebody said that the seats are actually not as comfortable either.

With that said, it appears that the muni went with lowest cost on this. I think they had a great chance to really make this arena shine. However, I have not physically been in the arena, so this evaluation may not be that fair.

I am interested in hearing more about the remodel and see some more pictures if any have any to post. I hate being a Debby downer, but I guess I figured the Sully remodel would match the "gravitas" that the Alaska Airlines Center presented when it was opened.

Got any links to photos for those of that are lazy?

I've said it in other threads... but the glass was the worst I've ever seen, even worse then the Berry used to have. Maybe now on the TV/web broadcasts it'll look less like an abandoned building with people actually sitting low.
    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
      Got any links to photos for those of that are lazy?

I've said it in other threads... but the glass was the worst I've ever seen, even worse then the Berry used to have. Maybe now on the TV/web broadcasts it'll look less like an abandoned building with people actually sitting low.
      Don't get me wrong...on TV the Ice and Glass look AMAZING! It really does. It is just that the seats look very "military camouflage" at least from a distance. Almost like the seats were manufactured that color but the Municipality did not want to spend the money to have them painted any color, so they chose a "stock" color.

I know that the arena is way better functionally, just appearance wise, I thought they could do much better. Money is tight, so I guess beggars can't be choosers. Know what I mean Vern?

Comment

We got a remodel, not a new arena. That being said, the place is lit up nice with led's, even the concession hallways. They got rid of those banners in the concession hallways like they had in the Georgia Dome where the Falcons play, I only remember Aces blue idk. **** throughs are still there. Seats are comfier I guess, they have muni logos on them. The padded seats are nice, the red goes great with the stock silver. Net is lower, net is new, maybe too low though. Ice seemed alright, a few blow outs but I'd chock that to the start of the season more than the ice itself. The paint scheme works for me, the yellow/gold numbers look horrible in pictures but makes finding your "assigned" seat easier.

All in all, I came in pleasantly surprised. I guess we'll be stuck with the Sully in its current form for another 10/25 years.
        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

When I saw the photos of the finished arena I also felt this way. However, having watched 4 games there so far, I am starting to like it. The inside of the building looks smaller to me, probably because there's a lot of the darker gray color ... but face it, those orange and yellow seats were UGLY. The upgrade is so much better than it was. The glass is so clear, it's amazing. The padded seats are really nice and comfortable. I would love to sit in them (I am one who feels the seats are uncomfortable, but that is only due to an issue I have with leg pain called myofascial pain syndrome), but we love our balcony seats and don't want to move below. We actually tried out several seats in the lower bowl that were padded, but nothing compares to the view we get from the lower balcony.

Just be happy that the upgrades were made! It really does look much better in person. The bottoms of the wine colored seats are gray, so unless you see them from the proper angle, everything looks gray.
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            When I saw the photos of the finished arena I also felt this way. However, having watched 4 games there so far, I am starting to like it. The inside of the building looks smaller to me, probably because there's a lot of the darker gray color ... but face it, those orange and yellow seats were UGLY. The upgrade is so much better than it was. The glass is so clear, it's amazing. The padded seats are really nice and comfortable. I would love to sit in them (I am one who feels the seats are uncomfortable, but that is only due to an issue I have with leg pain called myofascial pain syndrome), but we love our balcony seats and don't want to move below. We actually tried out several seats in the lower bowl that were padded, but nothing compares to the view we get from the lower balcony.

Just be happy that the upgrades were made! It really does look much better in person. The bottoms of the wine colored seats are gray, so unless you see them from the proper angle, everything looks gray.
            OK, I will take your word for it. I am glad we also got a new locker room and fresh new amenities at the WFSC too! So, I am happy for all that we have. I just want recruits just to really really want to come to UAA. When I graduated in 1997, UAA was a lot different University than it is now. I am really hoping for a couple of wins tonight!!!! I will be watching!

BTW, can anyone post really good clear pictures here so we that don't live in our beautiful state can see the new remodel?

Comment

Even as a Nanook fan, I think the remodel is an amazing upgrade to what the Sully used to be. The seats are darker but I think it gives more attention to the ice which was nice. The walls are a bit dark but it I think it gives the building a clean and modern look.

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                Even as a Nanook fan, I think the remodel is an amazing upgrade to what the Sully used to be. The seats are darker but I think it gives more attention to the ice which was nice. The walls are a bit dark but it I think it gives the building a clean and modern look.
                Thanks Ice Angel. Glad to hear that it looks good. I just might not have seen pictures in its entirety.

Comment

BTW, can anyone post really good clear pictures here so we that don't live in our beautiful state can see the new remodel?
                  Not sure if you've already seen the photos in this tweet, but they are the best I could find.

Comment

Working...
                  X