Clear All

• Re: BU Recruiting Update, Part 4

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
    My $.02 about the D.

Graduating:
    * Grzelcyk

Flight Risks:
    * Somerby (high)
    * Macleod (low-medium) -- I really hope he stays, but he hasn't played well and needs to play the way he did much of last season in order to regain a regular role.
    * Hickey (low) -- I think he needs at least 1 more year. Haven't seen his offensive game progress this year. Calgary has typically been more patient with the NCAA players they take in 3rd round (i.e. Gaudreau, Gillies, Jankowski). I also wouldn't be surprised if Hickey is next year's captain.

No-Show:
    * Krys (low) -- There were some rumors circulating from Canada a while back that he might to go the Q, but nothing since. Won't assume anything until he's in the lineup opening night next season.
    * Fabbro (low) -- Getting him to commit was huge, but you never know. Also, won't assume anything until he's in the lineup opening night next season.

Returning:
    * McAvoy -- He needs at least another year, probably 2. He's projected to go in middle of the 1st round, so it's more likely the team drafting him doesn't have an immediate need for him to fill.
    * Fortunato
    * Diffley
    * Switzer
    Excellent post. Thank you.
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      A boatload of talent, I'd argue the most since Shattenkirk, but so young and so raw. He's not ready. Whether his drafting team recognizes that, we'll see. He has the potential for a lengthy pro career ahead of him.
      McAvoy doesn't even turn 19 until December. He'd have 1.5 seasons at BU under his belt by the time he turns 19. Shattenkirk turned 19 in January of his Freshman year, so there's almost an entire age year (and year of development) difference between the 2.

Am I correct that Somerby will be very close to graduating at the end of the spring semester?
      Yes. That's what I heard back in the Fall. But if he leaves, it's unclear whether if it will be to sign an ELC w/ the Islanders, or wait until August 15 to become a UFA (since he was drafted in 2012).

Comment

The Hockey News on Fabbro

If Somerby decides to return, which apparently is a real possibility:
        Hickey-Fabbro
        Krys-McAvoy
        Somerby-Diffley/Switzer/MacLeod
        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post

Hickey-Fabbro
          Krys-McAvoy
          Real possibility? Is that a personal thought or based on actual info? Of course if he returned he's a shoo-in for the C.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Real possibility? Is that a personal thought or based on actual info? Of course if he returned he's a shoo-in for the C.
            Does anyone see him as an NHL-caliber player? I think he is a fine college defensive defenseman, but I don't think he was as good as Gryba or Strait. I don't know that he is any better than, say, Sean Sullivan?

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
              Does anyone see him as an NHL-caliber player? I think he is a fine college defensive defenseman, but I don't think he was as good as Gryba or Strait. I don't know that he is any better than, say, Sean Sullivan?
              Size matters

I think he's a better skater than Gryba (definitely not as good a skater as Strait) and his offensive game is improving. I think he could be a solid 5th/6th NHL D-man on the right team.

Comment

Hickey-Fabbro
                Krys-McAvoy
                What did I miss? Where's Fortunato?

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                  Size matters
                  On the BU recruiting thread I would have expected this to be typed by Rogie.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                    What did I miss? Where's Fortunato?
                    Oops!

Hickey-Fabbro
                    Krys-McAvoy
                    Somerby-Diffley/Fortunato
                    Switzer-MacLeod

Couple of reliable sources think so. And, definitely would be captain.

Comment

Oops!

Hickey-Fabbro
                      Krys-McAvoy
                      Somerby-Diffley/Fortunato
                      Switzer-MacLeod.
                      again, no way TB is gonna be leaving macleod here as the 7th or 8th dman on the chart. they will offer him $$ to go play in syracuse or the echl to get legs and see what they have.
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I also don't see Fortunato as the 7th d-man on this team.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Fabbro named BCHL defenseman of the year.
                          Fabbro leads all BCHL rear-guards in points with 63, despite only playing in 43 games. Fabbro is second in goals (14) and assists (49) but is head and shoulders above any other blue-liner in points per-game average (1.47).

Comment

Fabbro-McAvoy
                            Krys-Fortunato
                            Diffley-MacLeod

Switzer / (and some summer prep kid who "applies" to BU and plays for the boys)

[Somerby & Hickey will be professionals next season]
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Check out the Eichel-esque rush by 2018 recruit Jake Wise in Central Catholic's 4-3 shootout win over Reading in a Super 8 playoff game. (3:00 mark of the video)

Comment

What, no mention of his horrendous giveaway leading to a goal right before that?

Comment

Working...
                                X