Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cars: 2015

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Speaking of which, how is the Civic treating you?

I'm having ha-ha-only-serious thoughts of treating myself to something midrange sporty yet daily drivable in a couple years, and the Civic Type R would fit my bill (if I can restrain myself from puffing a 3-foot vape cloud and yelling at everyone nearby to smash that like, follow, and subscribe button like a boss every time I get out.)

The gut answer is wait a couple more years and score a used C7 Corvette, but the problem with that is the real world has things like speed bumps and potholes (my dad picked up a C5 and he's petrified to drive it due mostly to the above, and I can't say I blame him.)
    The Hyundai Genesis is awesome, and at least here in MN, if you find one just 2-3 years old, it's really affordable. It honestly drives like a poor man's BMW. The pricing is what I found when looking last year. That was my "fine, can't get what I REALLY want" choice."
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      The Hyundai Genesis is awesome, and at least here in MN, if you find one just 2-3 years old, it's really affordable. It honestly drives like a poor man's BMW. The pricing is what I found when looking last year. That was my "fine, can't get what I REALLY want" choice."
      Heard good things about the Kia Stinger GT as well. Solid product, well put together, and gets up shockingly well for the price point. Plus you get to troll the heck out of people blowing by them in a farking Kia.
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Heard good things about the Kia Stinger GT as well. Solid product, well put together, and gets up shockingly well for the price point. Plus you get to troll the heck out of people blowing by them in a farking Kia.
        True on the Kia. Dunno much about them except they have pretty much upped their game every year, which I find astounding. They were on the Yugo track for their first couple of years.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          True on the Kia. Dunno much about them except they have pretty much upped their game every year, which I find astounding. They were on the Yugo track for their first couple of years.
          Did some more research, apparently they're essentially the same platform (Hyundai owns a controlling stake in Kia.) Also the guy that designed it was previously the head of BMW's M (performance) division.

It's like a BMW 3-series/Audi S4, but two-thirds of the price loaded, with a killer warranty, I can drive it in the real world, I avoid looking like the typical BMW/Audi brotato, and my mechanic won't want to shoot me.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

... and my mechanic won't want to shoot me.
            Have mechanics in general moved past the "Oh, eff no, not a KIA," stigma? I know a few mechanics around our age who still hold a grudge against anyone for owning a KIA.

I do have to say that I was impressed when friend of mine showed me her KIA and was comparing it to the similarly sized Malibu I owned. Some of the "oh this is standard on the base model," made me start to wonder why I stick to bowties.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Have mechanics in general moved past the "Oh, eff no, not a KIA," stigma? I know a few mechanics around our age who still hold a grudge against anyone for owning a KIA.

I do have to say that I was impressed when friend of mine showed me her KIA and was comparing it to the similarly sized Malibu I owned. Some of the "oh this is standard on the base model," made me start to wonder why I stick to bowties.
              Ask Brent what his mechanic thinks of Audis

Plus Kia's warranty is awesome. IIRC 5 year/60K bumper to bumper, 10 year/100K powertrain.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Patents. Create unique screw driver heads, odd shaped connectors of various sizes, and then not license the patents. When they finally run out, the model will be old enough for the original owners to not have much care at that point.
                They still cannot make it so people cannot service their vehicles, I don't believe that is legal. The one thing they can do is pull your warranty if you have someone unauthorized perform service, but that is the one "hammer" they have.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Ask Brent what his mechanic thinks of Audis

Plus Kia's warranty is awesome. IIRC 5 year/60K bumper to bumper, 10 year/100K powertrain.
                  My brother, coming up on 23 years in his field, will NOT touch an Audi unless he is forced to by his job. Even then, he'll try and shove it off to some other mechanic in his shop (he works for a dealership, but he's head mechanic and can delegate).

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    They still cannot make it so people cannot service their vehicles, I don't believe that is legal. The one thing they can do is pull your warranty if you have someone unauthorized perform service, but that is the one "hammer" they have.
                    They make it very expensive in upfront costs to service your own vehicle. Look at the lug nuts on a VW - they're not hex nuts. They use the six-pointed star/asterisk, like an over-sized screwdriver head.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

They make it very expensive in upfront costs to service your own vehicle. Look at the lug nuts on a VW - they're not hex nuts. They use the six-pointed star/asterisk, like an over-sized screwdriver head.
                      Those lugnuts are to prevent people from stealing wheels though. You see that pretty often with expensive alloy wheels.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Speaking of which, how is the Civic treating you?
                        I'm loving it -- depending on my mood, I can put it in Eco mode which saves a little on gas (though it's pretty fuel efficient at baseline), or "regular" which definitely has the pleasant turbo feel of stepping on the gas and she takes off. Regular mode is excellent for tollbooths (which I drive through on my way to work every shift). The clutch is sooooo loose compared to the Mini (and even compared to the 2010 Civic which tcbg drives). Some of me wishes I'd upgraded to the touring for the real nice perks (I'd love a sunroof and heated seats for the winter), but it didn't come in a manual. I didn't look at the R-type as it wasn't in my budget this time around and...I'm pretty sure no one would ride with me ever; it's a ridiculous looking car (but I secretly really love it). It has tons of room (fit a Weber Genesis III Weber + Propane + 125$ worth of plants and soil), but doesn't feel bulky. It also has an electronic parking break, which is weird and also means no E-break turns (the Grand Tour/Top Gear guys would be disappointed).

Comment

VW is the king of new fasteners. Snap on, Mac, Matco, Gear Wrench, and about 20 other taiwan companies will sell you all the torx sockets you want.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

With Volvo rolling out the new S60 at its North Carolina plant today, the odds of Mrs. P and I doing the Overseas Delivery is getting pretty slim.

https://youtu.be/5gwxUp80UN8
                            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

That's a good looking ride.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Holy ****!

https://jalopnik.com/porsche-beat-a-...ith-1827226899
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X