Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Has anyone done NatGeo's DNA test? I sent mine out two weeks ago, and I'm curious as to how they deliver your results. I still have about 6-8 more weeks to go, of course.
    I got the Ancestry DNA kit for Christmas. So I still have a few weeks to wait.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Made a huge find on Ancestry last night. Finally got a foothold for one branch of the family in Norway. First time I've found anything in Norway, since their records aren't nearly as good or just not as accessible as Sweden's. I have every branch of the Swedish sides of the family tracked back to the villages they came from in Sweden, but still missing a ton in Norway.
      I'm 100% Norwegian, though I haven't tested. Very frustrating, though, because my people appear have been among those who stayed back to clean fish while the others went to more desirable places to rape and pillage.
      Last edited by burd; 01-25-2017, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Has anyone done NatGeo's DNA test? I sent mine out two weeks ago, and I'm curious as to how they deliver your results. I still have about 6-8 more weeks to go, of course.
        Is this the $150 one? My mother-in-law did this a few years ago, or maybe a pre-cursor. Is there any independent analysis about the degree to which it can claim accuracy? How well have we mapped the distribution of the relevant markers so that we can make assumptions about time periods and locations?
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          We could be cousins!?!
          Fingers crossed....
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            I'm 100% Norwegian, though I haven't tested. Very frustrating, though, because my people appear have been among those who stayed back to clean fish while the others went to more desirable places to rape and pillage.
            So far, the ancestors I've found in Sweden and Norway are all farmers, except for one cobbler, and one carpenter. But, I don't think I've gone far enough back to get to the Iron Island Era.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              well, if the rapers and pillagers came back you probably have a little something else mixed in.

I have Bishops, soldiers and farmers on the Swedish side. Bishop as in big guy bishop. My Swedish cousin is still digging.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Is this the $150 one? My mother-in-law did this a few years ago, or maybe a pre-cursor. Is there any independent analysis about the degree to which it can claim accuracy? How well have we mapped the distribution of the relevant markers so that we can make assumptions about time periods and locations?
                That's the only one I found from Nat Geo. https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...FR6ewAod_NQKJw
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  well, if the rapers and pillagers came back you probably have a little something else mixed in.
                  The rapers and pillagers didn't come back. Sven the Coward was told to hold the boat at the mooring. He spent his time looking at the stars and working out a rudimentary theory of astrophysics. Then one day he found an arrow with a note reading, "All dead. Kill yourself for honor." So he burned the note and rowed back home.

This is the same principle as the Marine Corps.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

There are a couple that are in the $150 range - NatGeo Gen 2.0, and 23AndMe. I'm starting with NatGeo. From what I gather, their test is more about general human migration over time (all the way back to Mother Africa), than it is trying to peg you to a specific region or country. 23AndMe or FamilyTreeDNA are supposed to be better choices for the latter. I'll eventually do one of those two as well.

It's worth pointing out that 23AndMe and Ancestry make you sign away the right to sell your data to big pharma. I assume National Geographic/Helix also probably has a clause about it that I didn't read. So if you're squeamish about that sort of thing, it's probably best to avoid getting sequenced.

Comment

I did that with FT-DNA. That part of the test came back 100% Ashkenazi. It missed my slight (perhaps 3%) Sephardic.

I won't comment upon the worthlessness of the test for predicting the degree of relationship among Ashkenazim for anyone beyond a 3rd cousin.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

There are a couple that are in the $150 range - NatGeo Gen 2.0, and 23AndMe. I'm starting with NatGeo. From what I gather, their test is more about general human migration over time (all the way back to Mother Africa), than it is trying to peg you to a specific region or country. 23AndMe or FamilyTreeDNA are supposed to be better choices for the latter. I'll eventually do one of those two as well.

It's worth pointing out that 23AndMe and Ancestry make you sign away the right to sell your data to big pharma. I assume National Geographic/Helix also probably has a clause about it that I didn't read. So if you're squeamish about that sort of thing, it's probably best to avoid getting sequenced.
                        Ancestry has an opt out.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Since, the 1950 Census hasn't been released yet I am in a pickle. Family Search has only the 1940 census of my family and Ancestry does not have anything it's like they don't exist anywhere online. Poof. What would you guys recommend I do? My mom has done the DNA Ancestry test but still nothing. For example, all her DNA relatives on that side of the family are second or third cousins. Ideas?
                          Last edited by 4four4; 01-28-2017, 02:29 PM.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                            Since, the 1950 Census hasn't been released yet I am in a pickle. Family Search has only the 1940 census of my family and Ancestry does not have anything it's like they don't exist anywhere online. Poof. What would you guys recommend I do? My mom has done the DNA Ancestry test but still nothing. For example, all her DNA relatives on that side of the family are second or third cousins. Ideas?
                            Death records for the people you do know. From there you look at Obits. Also post on Ancestry in a number of threads. . I found my Swedish cousins by accident answering a question about a distant relative.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              Death records for the people you do know. From there you look at Obits. Also post on Ancestry in a number of threads. . I found my Swedish cousins by accident answering a question about a distant relative.
                              Try find a grave.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Try find a grave.
                                I never have luck with them I have had luck calling the historical society of the particular town. Didn't find me the person but did give me background I found useful in how I proceeded with my search.

Comment

Working...
                                X