Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Well then my ancestors who lived in the Rhineland were also under French rule in the Napoleonic era. The language used in records on both sides of the Rhine fluctuated.
    Most of Europe was "Greater France" prior to Waterloo.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm digging into it to see if I can find more exact locations. So far I've been focused on getting the people right and then going back and getting the details.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The worst part is that even different census documents show different info (to be expected). For example, some of the documents show from Germany, speaks Polish. Others say German German. Yet others say Polish Polish. *shrug*
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Most of Europe was "Greater France" prior to Waterloo.
          But I don't think that all records were in French in all of the territory which he controlled.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Holy crap.

I had a pretty big find last night. My paternal lineage came from a town in Prussia called Vandsburg. They spoke German, however, the town is now located in modern Poland and called Więcbork. This is incredible.

There's also a very good chance my great-great-great-grandfather had a wife before my GGG-grandmother and had children. The christening record of my GGG-grandparents' child was in 1846. In 1850, he had a daughter whose middle name was the same as his first wife's first name. It could be coincidence but I'm wondering if his first wife didn't die at some point between 1846 and 1849 and decided to name his daughter after her. It's an interesting thought because I can't imagine in a town that in 1853 had 1,586 people (1,332 of which were Christians - Thanks Wiki!) there were very many people that shared the name of my GGG-grandfather. Especially the last name. This is interesting.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Depending on where that could be Czech, but it could also be German, Slovak, Silesian, or Polish. Do you know from what part? My Mother's side is pretty murky but I think we were from České Budějovice.
            Kep, I'm still working on my Czech heritage. It's a lot more difficult to find the towns they hailed from.
            Code:

Comment

Its exciting when you find the village/town names ancestors came from. I have gotten there on one line, my great-great grandpa on my dad/grandpa's side of the tree is the only person I've been able to trace all the way back to the actual village he came from. It is a small town called Norra Harene, just southeast of Lidkoping, Sweden. I streetviewed it, and I could see why he settled in southern MN, it looks identical.

https://www.google.com/maps/@58.4367...7i13312!8i6656
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Its exciting when you find the village/town names ancestors came from. I have gotten there on one line, my great-great grandpa on my dad/grandpa's side of the tree is the only person I've been able to trace all the way back to the actual village he came from. It is a small town called Norra Harene, just southeast of Lidkoping, Sweden. I streetviewed it, and I could see why he settled in southern MN, it looks identical.

https://www.google.com/maps/@58.4367...7i13312!8i6656

Ditto.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...1!1e1?hl=en-US
                Code:

Comment

Just after starting to post about it....a few days ago I got an email for a special 6-month offer from Ancestry. Too good of a deal to pass up. World Explorer. Since I was planning on signing up again over the winter, this 6 month deal worked out quite well. Will probably cancel again in the spring, just don't use it enough over the warm months.

I really like the improvements they've made to the website, it is more functional, and easier to use.

No huge breakthroughs in the last couple days, I'm really getting stumped in some areas.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I suspended my Ancestry account for a few months, will probably get back to it over the winter.

Right now I'm at a complete dead end in most of my "lines". I have all of Swedish ancestry traced back several generations into Sweden (Sweden has awesome records), into the 1700's. But the Norwegian side of the tree is a massive cluster****. I can trace them back to their first US census, and anything in Norway is a lost cause. If anyone has insights into Norwegian records, it would be helpful, I wasn't able to find any kind of foothold in Norway, not even enough to know what questions to ask in the Ancestry forums.
                    you didn't hit a point where all the records were in Swedish? that's when I gave up.
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Both my sons in the car yesterday said they were doing research on the family and were able to talk about the mutt heritage I spoke of before, but had more detail than even I had. One item I knew about but they didn't know was that he created several murals for the United Nations Security Council Chamber and received the King's medal of Merit from Norway.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Ellis Island has the manifests. To view the log, either make the trip to NJ or pay for the manifest online.
                        Ancestry has a library edition that allows you to look at a lot of stuff. You have to go to the library to use it but it is free if your library has it.

I suspended my Ancestry account for a few months, will probably get back to it over the winter.

Right now I'm at a complete dead end in most of my "lines". I have all of Swedish ancestry traced back several generations into Sweden (Sweden has awesome records), into the 1700's. But the Norwegian side of the tree is a massive cluster****. I can trace them back to their first US census, and anything in Norway is a lost cause. If anyone has insights into Norwegian records, it would be helpful, I wasn't able to find any kind of foothold in Norway, not even enough to know what questions to ask in the Ancestry forums.
                        Just post the name and a basic question of the relative that is the oldest. I ended up finding my cousin of some sort removed, or rather found someone else who was found by the cousin and connected us. Just found some cousins in Saskatchewan who are only 2nd cousins.

I am 50% Scot (mum's parents came on the boat), 25% Swede (GM parents were on the boat) and 25% loyalist English that moved to PEI/colonists from England somewhere. The Scottish side is the easiest. They all were in the same place for hundreds of yrs and everyone in Scotland is related to each other somehow. One branch had been on the land from the late 1400s (so they say). Swedes- GGF came here changed his surname when he got here then changed his first name as the years progressed. Moved himself to FLA where the records stiiiiiink in the early 1900s. The Swedish cousin has a bunch of stuff about the family but not much about the GGF. The English mutts make me crazy. I have a bunch of roadblocks.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                          you didn't hit a point where all the records were in Swedish? that's when I gave up.
                          I did. But I learned the important words in Swedish so I could keep going. Fodde, Dod, Vigsel, Husforhor, etc.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I did. But I learned the important words in Swedish so I could keep going. Fodde, Dod, Vigsel, Husforhor, etc.
                            Farm animal

Comment

FYI- Ancestry.com is pulling the chute on Family Tree Maker. >3K of comments since the email was sent this evening. Close to 500 since I commented <1h ago. Not one happy person, most saying they are not going to renew membership.

"Ancestry is proud to have made a significant investment this year to bring valuable new content and records to the Ancestry site. In 2015, we’ve made 220 million searchable historical records from Mexico available, more than 170 million pages from the largest collection of U.S. will and probate records, among others. We’ve also introduced new features such as Ancestry Academy, and major advancements for AncestryDNA.

As we strive to provide our customers with the best experience possible, we are constantly evaluating our services and product offerings. True to this focus, we’ve taken a hard look at the declining desktop software market and the impact this has on being able to continue to provide new content, product enhancements and support that our users need. With that, we’ve made the tough decision to stop selling Family Tree Maker as of December 31, 2015.

We will continue to support existing Family Tree Maker owners at least through January 1, 2017. During this time, all features of the software, including TreeSync™ will continue to work. Our Member Services team will also remain available to assist with questions or issues you may have.

These changes are never easy. But by focusing our efforts, we can concentrate on continuing to build great products for our loyal Ancestry community.

You can find additional details about the retirement of Family Tree Maker on our blog... http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2...aker-software/

Anyone know of a program that syncs with FTM. Not putting my tree online. Too much private info and the new site is awful.

Comment

So I thought one had to consent to be on Ancestry.com? I googled my Grandmother for directions to her gravesite for a visit and found family history stuff online including SSN linked through Ancestry.com of family members dating back to the early 1900s and other information on relatives dating back to the 1800s. It's a cool find, but I am a little uncomfortable that the information is just out there. Likely some of the stuff was put online by my estranged aunt (it says it was uploaded by Reunion for Mac, so I can only assume it was she). Very odd.

Comment

Working...
                                X