Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Love that. I'm also very partial to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXRM3lFRwRI

Comment

I'm both lucky and cursed with my actual last name. For the longest time I was the only person with my last name on Facebook. Even now there aren't many. Makes searching easy for semi-modern records (1860s+). I do know that as far back as I can find, 1700s for most but some go back further, I and my paternal ancestors were the first born males going all the way back. I found that kind of interesting.

But I know for a fact that my mother's maiden name was a phonetic interpretation. Basically makes searching impossible. Especially since there were a lot of James in that line over the years. Sad trombone.

There was one person who did some research (backed up with notes and sources) that linked my Norwegian great grandmother all the way back to this guy:
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Æthelwulf
      I saved it in my unverified tree but hope to get that far back eventually
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Being 100% Norwegian, two characteristics have pretty much dominated my line of descent. 1) After the good old days of raping and pillaging passed, we've been predominantly a bunch of head-slappers and shoulder-shruggers. Our brains have not gotten us far. 2) We've mostly stayed in Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          Being 100% Norwegian, two characteristics have pretty much dominated my line of descent. 1) After the good old days of raping and pillaging passed, we've been predominantly a bunch of head-slappers and shoulder-shruggers. Our brains have not gotten us far. 2) We've mostly stayed in Minnesota.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALdI3GorPoA
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm a mutt.

25% Swedish, 25% Scottish, 25% Slovakian. The other quarter is split evenly between German, Danish, French, and Irish. Three of my grandparents were 100%, the other split between the other quarter.

The Scot in me didn't arrive in this country until 1947, oddly enough. My grandfather that was is the Navy brought her back after WWII. She was from Brisbane, Australia.

To the day she died she never said she was "Scottish." She was 50% highlander and 50% lowlander.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

I'm also a mutt at 1/4 Russian, Danish, German and Norwegian.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                I'm also a mutt at 1/4 Russian, Danish, German and Norwegian.
                These are all fascinating stories, not just how we got where we are but how our ancestors from different countries like Russia, Denmark, Germany and Norway met and fell in love. The word has become so small now that those old family stories seem pretty remarkable.

Comment

I'm a quarter each of Norwegian, Czech (kinda, we think our part of this family came from that area of today's Czech Republic), German, and Polish.

All four of which settled in Minnesota and haven't left (besides a few years in Washington before and after WWII).

If you go back before they came over, it gets a bit murkier. I'm pretty sure I have some French, British, Danish, and a few others.
                  Last edited by dxmnkd316; 09-27-2015, 10:14 AM.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    kinda, we think our part of this family came from that area of today's Czech Republic
                    Depending on where that could be Czech, but it could also be German, Slovak, Silesian, or Polish. Do you know from what part? My Mother's side is pretty murky but I think we were from České Budějovice.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

31 of my 32 3rd-great-grandparents were from Germany. The other was from the Alsace. However they all were Ashkenazi Jews and as seen by the number of matches which I have from an autosomal DNA test, hopelessly intermarried.

Summary http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/1842...e-30th-cousins.
                      Technical stuff http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/14...tml#affil-auth.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I suspended my Ancestry account for a few months, will probably get back to it over the winter.

Right now I'm at a complete dead end in most of my "lines". I have all of Swedish ancestry traced back several generations into Sweden (Sweden has awesome records), into the 1700's. But the Norwegian side of the tree is a massive cluster****. I can trace them back to their first US census, and anything in Norway is a lost cause. If anyone has insights into Norwegian records, it would be helpful, I wasn't able to find any kind of foothold in Norway, not even enough to know what questions to ask in the Ancestry forums.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          31 of my 32 3rd-great-grandparents were from Germany. The other was from the Alsace. However they all were Ashkenazi Jews and as seen by the number of matches which I have from an autosomal DNA test, hopelessly intermarried.

Summary http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/1842...e-30th-cousins.
                          Technical stuff http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/14...tml#affil-auth.
                          Depending on who won the last war, Alsace could have been German too.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Don't let the Alsatians hear you say that...
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Don't let the Alsatians hear you say that...
                              Ancestors left after Franco Prussian war.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Well then my ancestors who lived in the Rhineland were also under French rule in the Napoleonic era. The language used in records on both sides of the Rhine fluctuated.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X