Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

I can assume without having to do the research that most of my ancestors were misfits and miscreants. But being 100% Norwegian, I can at least allow myself to believe that they raped, plundered, and pillaged the north of France at one brief and glorious moment in time.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      3/4 of my grandparents are in the same boat (no pun intended). Father's father side seems to be here for a long time.
      I joke with Dr. Mrs. that her family has been here 400 years and all they've accumulated have been convictions.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Hahaha. That's awesome.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          One of the (few, to be honest) annoyances of not having any ancestor who set foot on this continent prior to 1870 is not being able to use those cool tools.
          Mom's British side goes back to 1620-ish (Stephen and Mary Ann Doyle - that's as far as it goes). I should probably take advantage of Visio and digitize it, considering I ran across the paper version three weeks ago when I was staying there during a heat wave/air conditioning failure. Seen it on-and-off for 20 years, but the paper keeps crisping with each viewing (duh). It needs to be documented before it disintegrates.

Comment

My parents have traced all my lines back to when they immigrated from Europe, and several pretty far back into Europe beyond that.

It turns out that all of my ancestors who immigrated here did so before about 1820. That strikes me as quite odd - I'm sure it's not as if my 4 pairs of great grandparents, courting in the early 1900s, were intentionally seeking partners whose families had been in the US for multiple generations.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Hahaha. That's awesome.
              She swears there is a non-trivial time period in the early 20th C when all four of her great grandfathers were simultaneously in jail.

My girl comes from hearty stock.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

One of my great grandfathers was given the choice between jail or leaving. He left. Story until about 25 years ago was that he moved because of allergies, so the truth about the man I'm named after wasn't known until I was 9.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  She swears there is a non-trivial time period in the early 20th C when all four of her great grandfathers were simultaneously in jail.

Now that is fun stuff

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  One of my great grandfathers was given the choice between jail or leaving. He left. Story until about 25 years ago was that he moved because of allergies, so the truth about the man I'm named after wasn't known until I was 9.
                  We had someone transported for misappropriating sheep (sport in Scotland unless you got caught) and I am not so sure my GGF on Swedish side didn't leave to leave behind some nefarious dealing. He managed to get my GGM pregnant, supposedly on the boat over, and they married a few months later.

The most fun thin I found was a relative noted to be excluded fromt he church because he fathered a child and wouldn't repent. Problem was the child was with someone other than his wife! Oops

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Boston or NYC?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I know my grandfather married someone before my grandmother, but there is only a single marriage record. No divorce, no kids, no nothing.

Plus my family doesn't really know about it either. Very frustrating.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I know my grandfather married someone before my grandmother, but there is only a single marriage record. No divorce, no kids, no nothing.

Couple of things- depending on time frame-
                        -some census will note if this is first, second marriage and at what age first married- try looking for your GF without listing a wife, only his name- don't use exact search.
                        -check town or state census
                        -town directories will list person and the wife/kids sometimes or if widowed- even if they don't it gives you yr by yr where someone is which can be helpful - if they stick to a place then move it can give you time frame to look at other sources
                        -local newspapers (look in libraries or town halls) can sometimes have wedding, engagement or obits that you might not otherwise find.
                        -check the cemetery where GF is buried to see if they have anyone else by the last name
                        -check for divorces. You never know. I have one person who my mother never knew got divorced. Thought the dude died. She got a divorce in 1900.
                        -check births Use GF last name without listing a woman. I know you said no births but you never know. Sometimes doing a search with a time frame of before the date you know he got married the second time can be helpful- you need to do it the tedious way and manually read thru everyone
                        -try listing query on ancestry
                        -also- did he or his family change names/spelling? I know my GGF did. Searching for yrs using wrong name
                        Last edited by leswp1; 07-01-2017, 05:24 PM.

Comment

If you want to PM I don't mind giving it a try.

Comment

I have a long response that I'll post later, but here's the thing.

She literally has zero other records under her name, my family's name, or anything else. I might take you up on that with her because I have spent some time looking and I'm at an impasse.
                            Code:

Comment

I have a long response that I'll post later, but here's the thing.

She literally has zero other records under her name, my family's name, or anything else. I might take you up on that with her because I have spent some time looking and I'm at an impasse.
                              Oh Goody!

Comment

Common law? That would be somewhat odd in the 50s/60s (I'm assuming marriage decades because I know we're about the same age).

If your family "doesn't really know about it", then how did you learn enough to be so sure about your grandfather?

Comment

Working...
                                X