Minnesota Whitecaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Whitecaps

Not college hockey, but the Whitecaps have revamped their website and posted their roster and it's a bit good http://www.minnesotawhitecaps.com/ro...season=252410:

Rose Alleva D
    Alli Altmann G
    Ashley Birdsall F
    Rachael Bona F
    Bethany Brausen F
    Winny Brown D
    Lisa Chesson D
    Sarah Erickson F
    Katie Frischmann F
    Kim Hanlon G
    Audrey Hanmer D
    Carrie Holldorf F
    Mira Jalosuo D
    Becky Kortum F
    Monique Lamoureux D
    Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson F
    Brooke Lancette F
    Meghan Lorence F
    Marley McMillan F
    Margot Miller D
    Sarah Moe F
    Meaghan Pezon F
    Krissy Pohl F
    Noora Raty G
    Alex Rigsby G
    Chelsey Rosenthal D
    Anne Schleper D
    Kelly Seeler D
    Amy Stech F
    Megan Sweerin G
    Allie Thunstrom F
    Jessie Vetter G
    Angela Zevnik D

33 names, so clearly they won't all be regulars, but Noora tweeted that she was off to Minnesota so maybe she'll be a fixture.

Schedule includes 3 NWHL teams -- maybe this made the US Olympians (not announced yet) happier with going to NWHL from the Blades knowing that they would at least get to play against this roster?

Re: Minnesota Whitecaps

I'm looking forward to the exhibition game in just 9 short days! How they do against the Gophers will depend of course on what kind of skating shape they're in, and which ones (and how many) show up. You can bet they will be trying their hardest to show "the kids" they can still play....and I suspect many of them still can, at a very high level.

Should be VERY interesting!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      I'm looking forward to the exhibition game in just 9 short days! How they do against the Gophers will depend of course on what kind of skating shape they're in, and which ones (and how many) show up. You can bet they will be trying their hardest to show "the kids" they can still play....and I suspect many of them still can, at a very high level.

Should be VERY interesting!
      Thanks for the info. Didn't know what to expect but with a game roster out of that group it should be a good exhibition to get things started.

Edit: Thanks to wwhyte for the news. I had given up on the Whitecaps website.
      Last edited by brookyone; 09-16-2015, 03:25 PM.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
        ...posted their roster and it's a bit good
        a bit of an understatement, Rob Stauber the coach apparently

cool, they play the Blades twice at Ridder before Xmas, might have to go see that, but no info on tickets or how they are handling that

and also just noticed the Gophers again play SCSU for HOF, but at Roseville
        Last edited by pokechecker; 09-16-2015, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
          and also just noticed the Gophers again play SCSU for HOF, but at Roseville
          I think this year SCSU was awarded the HOF game so the Huskies should be the host team. Also, this year it doesn't really result in an "extra" game for the Gophers, because they used up two of their possible nonconference games for the two exhibitions with the Whitecaps.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            they used up two of their possible nonconference games for the two exhibitions with the Whitecaps.
            Exhibitions against non NCAA teams count towards non conference games? These can not have been planned that far in advance seeing as the roster was just posted. Couldn't something against some eastern teams have been arranged?

Comment

Originally posted by NUWH DogHouse View Post
              Exhibitions against non NCAA teams count towards non conference games? These can not have been planned that far in advance seeing as the roster was just posted. Couldn't something against some eastern teams have been arranged?
              that's probably more of an issue deciding how the web site should be revamped and getting someone to do it

unless the eastern team was BC or Harvard, I'd rather see the Whitecaps

I'm not sure what ARM means by "extra" game, like last year they play one more game than they did in the past if you include the Whitecaps games

Comment

Originally posted by NUWH DogHouse View Post
                I think you get one free exhibition game, but the second one counts against the limit, though the Gophers did play two exhibitions a couple of years ago, University of British Columbia and the Japanese Olympic team, as well as a full schedule. There may be another exception about playing an Olympic team, or I could have the whole thing wrong.

There have been some rumblings that the Gophers are having a hard time scheduling non-conference series and that some of the teams that claim they are willing to play anyone are not quite as dedicated to that ideal as they say. On the other hand, I have no idea what conditions Minnesota is putting on scheduling, who actually had space in their schedule or any of the other behind the scenes goings on, so I am not saying that I wholly subscribe to these rumors. I suspect, though, that it's more complicated than just saying that they ought to be playing another team from a specific list.
                Last edited by Eeyore; 09-16-2015, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                  I think you get one free exhibition game, but the second one counts against the limit, though the Gophers did play two exhibitions a couple of years ago, University of British Columbia and the Japanese Olympic team, as well as a full schedule. There may be another exception about playing an Olympic team, or I could have the whole thing wrong.
                  I do think that exhibitions versus national teams are exempt and don't count towards the limit. You may be correct that you get one free versus other teams, but not a second. Most years, that winds up being the same thing because we aren't likely to be able to schedule a nonconference team for a single game due to the travel issue, unless that team can play a game with SCSU or MSU as well.

As for why not some other NCAA team instead of the Whitecaps, I think the Whitecaps offer some advantages from a competitive standpoint. First, the games can be scheduled just about any time because of proximity, and what benefits the Gophers is likely to benefit the Whitecaps as well. Both exhibitions occur coming out of a break to help get back into the swing. If there is rust, the Gophs play like crap and lose, it doesn't hurt in the PWR. My guess is a big problem in trying to find nonconference opponents is the lack of available weekends. Do we want to play someone like Quinnipiac or BU some weekend when the Canadian national team players are gone, or worse yet, all national team players are gone. I'm guessing that's why the series at UND happens on a Thursday/Friday so that neither team gets as big an impact from pre Four Nations camps. If players are gone versus the Whitecaps, that just means more ice time for the rest of the roster. Also, the Whitecaps are a more challenging opponent than many NCAA rosters. So I understand why people would rather see an NCAA opponent, and in a perfect world, I'd much prefer that as well, but I see why the Whitecaps are a better fit some years.

Comment

Not college hockey, but the Whitecaps have revamped their website and posted their roster and it's a bit good http://www.minnesotawhitecaps.com/ro...season=252410:

Rose Alleva D
                    Alli Altmann G
                    Ashley Birdsall F
                    Rachael Bona F
                    Bethany Brausen F
                    Winny Brown D
                    Lisa Chesson D
                    Sarah Erickson F
                    Katie Frischmann F
                    Kim Hanlon G
                    Audrey Hanmer D
                    Carrie Holldorf F
                    Mira Jalosuo D
                    Becky Kortum F
                    Monique Lamoureux D
                    Brooke Lancette F
                    Meghan Lorence F
                    Marley McMillan F
                    Margot Miller D
                    Sarah Moe F
                    Meaghan Pezon F
                    Krissy Pohl F
                    Noora Raty G
                    Alex Rigsby G
                    Chelsey Rosenthal D
                    Anne Schleper D
                    Kelly Seeler D
                    Amy Stech F
                    Megan Sweerin G
                    Allie Thunstrom F
                    Jessie Vetter G
                    Angela Zevnik D

33 names, so clearly they won't all be regulars, but Noora tweeted that she was off to Minnesota so maybe she'll be a fixture.

Schedule includes 3 NWHL teams -- maybe this made the US Olympians (not announced yet) happier with going to NWHL from the Blades knowing that they would at least get to play against this roster?
                    only 6 goalies?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
                      only 6 goalies?
                      Based on years past, they might need that many to ensure that one is in the building on game night. The dressed lineup tends to be in a state of flux.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        cool, they play the Blades twice at Ridder before Xmas, might have to go see that, but no info on tickets or how they are handling that
                        It's the Pride rather than the Blades... or rather, last year's Blades rather than this year's Blades (plus Field and Pelkey, which can't hurt).

Comment

That's not a push over lineup. Except for the Lameos I'm excited to see them.

Comment

Rose Alleva D
                            Alli Altmann G
                            Ashley Birdsall F
                            Rachael Bona F
                            Bethany Brausen F
                            Winny Brown D
                            Lisa Chesson D
                            Sarah Erickson F
                            Katie Frischmann F
                            Kim Hanlon G
                            Audrey Hanmer D
                            Carrie Holldorf F
                            Mira Jalosuo D
                            Becky Kortum F
                            Monique Lamoureux D
                            Brooke Lancette F
                            Meghan Lorence F
                            Marley McMillan F
                            Margot Miller D
                            Sarah Moe F
                            Meaghan Pezon F
                            Krissy Pohl F
                            Noora Raty G
                            Alex Rigsby G
                            Chelsey Rosenthal D
                            Anne Schleper D
                            Kelly Seeler D
                            Amy Stech F
                            Megan Sweerin G
                            Allie Thunstrom F
                            Jessie Vetter G
                            Angela Zevnik D

Looks like a list of players who went to college to get an education and now need to get a job!

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                              Looks like a list of players who went to college to get an education and now need to get a job!
                              How many don't have jobs? Or should they just quit playing hockey in your view?
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X