Ohio State 2015-2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State 2015-2016 Season

The new season will be underway in a few weeks. What are your thoughts not only for the non-conference scheduled games but the B1G?

#GoBucks

Re: Ohio State 2015-2016 Season

At least we now have a full coaching staff.

Comment

The Scarlet Liners will be taking a bus trip to BGSU on 10/10. Tickets are on sale now and available at www.thescarletliners.org/events.
      http://www.thescarletliners.org/events

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGhost View Post
        The new season will be underway in a few weeks. What are your thoughts not only for the non-conference scheduled games but the B1G?

#GoBucks
        I dont know what to expect from this group. The first three weekends will tell us alot about this team. BG and Miami should be tournament teams and then at the defending National Champs. Back to back weekends in nov and december they have trips to Omaha and Minneapolis which will also be big tests. I am not a big fan of playing the AHA teams but it should be 4 wins at home to build some confidence going into the Omaha weekend. This team is going to go as far as the goaltending will take them. Offensively they should be better than last year but it cant get much worse can it? Special Teams also has to be much better than last year which wont be hard at all. The PK was dreadful for most of the year. This is Coach's 3rd year so most of the guys are his and they need to take the next step which is getting into the postseason.
        Last edited by klbaum1077; 09-04-2015, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I agree with Klbaum1077 in that I am not sure what to expect out of this group. Coach Rohlik has recruited well, but that talent is young (think I read somewhere 10 new freshmen this year). With the schedule being what it is, we will find out early on what kind of team/season we are going to have. I just went into the roster and in fact, we have 10 freshmen. We also have a lot of guys back, too, and as was stated, this is Rohlik's third season, so most of the guys are his. I would love to see this program get to the postseason. That would show that the program has turned the corner and is heading in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
            I dont know what to expect from this group. The first three weekends will tell us alot about this team. BG and Miami should be tournament teams and then at the defending National Champs. Back to back weekends in nov and december they have trips to Omaha and Minneapolis which will also be big tests. I am not a big fan of playing the AHA teams but it should be 4 wins at home to build some confidence going into the Omaha weekend. This team is going to go as far as the goaltending will take them. Offensively they should be better than last year but it cant get much worse can it? Special Teams also has to be much better than last year which wont be hard at all. The PK was dreadful for most of the year. This is Coach's 3rd year so most of the guys are his and they need to take the next step which is getting into the postseason.

I believe a little flippant on the AHA games. good luck. split with those 4 games at best.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
              I agree with Klbaum1077 in that I am not sure what to expect out of this group. Coach Rohlik has recruited well, but that talent is young (think I read somewhere 10 new freshmen this year). With the schedule being what it is, we will find out early on what kind of team/season we are going to have. I just went into the roster and in fact, we have 10 freshmen. We also have a lot of guys back, too, and as was stated, this is Rohlik's third season, so most of the guys are his. I would love to see this program get to the postseason. That would show that the program has turned the corner and is heading in the right direction.
              Rohlik gets a pass from me on one year of recruiting because of the way Oz was let go. There was some hardship that he had to overcome with kids backing out of commitments when that happened and having to replace them by "what was left at the bottom of the still available recruiting pool."

Excited to see what they put on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                Rohlik gets a pass from me on one year of recruiting because of the way Oz was let go. There was some hardship that he had to overcome with kids backing out of commitments when that happened and having to replace them by "what was left at the bottom of the still available recruiting pool."

Excited to see what they put on the ice.
                Good point on that first season of recruiting. The timing of Oz's firing and the defections hurt that first season of recruiting. Cannot wait to get the season started.

Comment

4 of the first 6 opponents the Buckeyes will play are ranked. His should give us a pretty good idea of where this group is.

Comment

JWagnerBlade ‏@jwagnerblade 3 hours ago
                    #BGSU hockey: #Falcons home game v. Ohio State Oct. 10 moved to 7:37 p.m. in part because of 2 p.m. football v. UMass.
                    Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Very unfortunate that Saturday's exhibition game went head-to-head with the Football telecast. But hats off to the intrepid souls who made it to the Schott.

On the ice, it was pretty much what an exhibition should be. Will definitely take a 4-0 win over a classy Brock team. While I never felt the Buckeyes were seriously threatened, they did have to work hard to break through a credible Brock defense. Thought #55, Jeff Corbett, was especially good for the visitors.

More random reflections
                      :

Not a huge fan of jersey number changes, but I can certainly understand why Nick Schilkey grabbed #7. Personally that's one my favorites and it's always good to have a single digit. Don't know why Matthew Weis shifted from #14 to #16; could be there's an interesting story there. If anyone knows, please share.

Nice to have a couple of in-state players join the squad: #15 Freddy Gerard (Rocky River) and #6 Tommy Parran (Shaker Heights). Both guys fit in just fine. Gerard even played on the first line with Weis and Schilkey.

Frey and Tompkins each played half the game in the net, combining for the shutout. Both appeared to have full control of the prooceedings. Good to have veteran keepers. Of course the competition ramps up next weekend.

On to BG.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        Very unfortunate that Saturday's exhibition game went head-to-head with the Football telecast. But hats off to the intrepid souls who made it to the Schott.

On the ice, it was pretty much what an exhibition should be. Will definitely take a 4-0 win over a classy Brock team. While I never felt the Buckeyes were seriously threatened, they did have to work hard to break through a credible Brock defense. Thought #55, Jeff Corbett, was especially good for the visitors.
                        I was content with what I saw for the first period and a half. With OSU rolling five lines and Brock rolling three the Badgers were a tired bunch by the time the third period started.

Injury wise I see Greco and Dalrymple will play against BG, but have heard nothing about freshman Nanne.

Off on a twice delayed trip for two weeks so will miss the first two home games. Make some extra noise for me (assuming it's not 'boooos').

Comment

Thanks, OSU, for $6.75 tickets! (Group discount, apparently.) I have no prediction. Statistics and the roster say BG should be pretty good.
                          Go Falcons!

Comment

Spiehler, BG is pretty good. BG won tonight 6-3. I don't have the statistics in front of me, but what I saw tonight was a team that expects to win, an NCAA team, vs a team that is still learning to win. Ohio State got within 2-1 and 4-2, but there was no point in this game where I thought the Bucks were going to come back. BG was so much better managing the puck than we were. We really couldn't get much going tonight. BG is going to have a great season and they were probably a big reason we couldn't get much going tonight, but if we don't improve our puck management skills, things won't get much better this season. Based on what I saw tonight, the prognostications of us finishing 5th in the BIG Ten will probably be correct. I look for the Falcons to finish the sweep tomorrow at Bowling Green.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                              Spiehler, BG is pretty good. BG won tonight 6-3. I don't have the statistics in front of me, but what I saw tonight was a team that expects to win, an NCAA team, vs a team that is still learning to win.
                              Agreed. In particular, you gotta like BG's veteran first line. They set the tone right from the first shift.

Ohio State got within 2-1 and 4-2, but there was no point in this game where I thought the Bucks were going to come back.
                              If that last power play had been converted, just maybe... but it was not to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X