Providence Friars Womens 2015 - 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Providence Friars Womens 2015 - 2016

Time to start the new thread, Schedule is out for the 2015- 2016 season.

http://www.friars.com/sports/w-hocke...key-sched.html

Tough opener with Wisconsin 2X in San Josie!

Other news, Meredith Roth - Assistant Coach has moved on to the Head Coaching position at St. Norbert College

Re: Providence Friars Womens 2015 - 2016

Best of luck to Coach Roth as Head Coach at St. Norberts. I hope she gains head coaching experience to one day return to Providence.

GO FRIARS!

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
      Best of luck to Coach Roth as Head Coach at St. Norberts. I hope she gains head coaching experience to one day return to Providence.

GO FRIARS!
      Are you saying that PC needs a new coach? I thought RD was highly regarded at PC?

Comment

Originally posted by BCAlum View Post
        Are you saying that PC needs a new coach? I thought RD was highly regarded at PC?
        I have the highest regard for Coach Deraney. Someday he will retire and in my mind Roth could be a great candidate who understands the traditions and legacy of Providence having played and coached with RD.

Comment

I have the highest regard for Coach Deraney. Someday he will retire and in my mind Roth could be a great candidate who understands the traditions and legacy of Providence having played and coached with RD.
          chukkle

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
            chukkle
            Are you implying "chuckle head"?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              Are you implying "chuckle head"?
              no...just a chuukkle

Comment

Gotcha, that makes sense. PC was a very good team in the past and will likely be a very good team in the future. Great school too.
                It is too bad however that PC recruits so many Minnesotians. There have been some great RI players and they never end up at PC. Need more local players, especially with a very strong Prep School environment and tremendous club teams in NE.
                Last edited by BCAlum; 08-18-2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BCAlum View Post
                  Gotcha, that makes sense. PC was a very good team in the past and will likely be a very good team in the future. Great school too.
                  It is too bad however that PC recruits so many Minnesotians. There have been some great RI players and they never end up at PC. Need more local players, especially with a very strong Prep School environment and tremendous club teams in NE.
                  While it is definitely true that Providence was good in the past, I see no evidence that they will be good again anytime in the future. They were mediocre or worse last season, some of their better players graduated, their recruiting class is small in numbers and weak (school didn't even bother to post it to the Friars website), and their incoming goalie recruit is highly unlikely to solve their very conspicuous goaltending problems. By blowing off pretty much all interested New England recruits in favor of Minnesota and Canadian players for several years, Deraney has totally lost any local New England pipeline for the school and created a negative image of the school amongst potential recruits there. At the same time, he has been unable to turn his prized MN and Canadian recruits into anything resembling a cohesive team (bunch of individuals skating up and down the ice with little connectivity). It was so bad two seasons ago that after that year two MN players transferred back to MN schools to play out their careers. And as a result, Providence now has a very negative connotation in MN and Canadian player circles as well as NE, a problem which is only overcome by using scholarship money to largely attract average players other schools wouldn't shell out full schollys for. New/renovated facilities are nice, but they won't get the job done alone. No, I'm definitely not seeing the positive future here under the current management.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                    While it is definitely true that Providence was good in the past, I see no evidence that they will be good again anytime in the future. They were mediocre or worse last season, some of their better players graduated, their recruiting class is small in numbers and weak (school didn't even bother to post it to the Friars website), and their incoming goalie recruit is highly unlikely to solve their very conspicuous goaltending problems. By blowing off pretty much all interested New England recruits in favor of Minnesota and Canadian players for several years, Deraney has totally lost any local New England pipeline for the school and created a negative image of the school amongst potential recruits there. At the same time, he has been unable to turn his prized MN and Canadian recruits into anything resembling a cohesive team (bunch of individuals skating up and down the ice with little connectivity). It was so bad two seasons ago that after that year two MN players transferred back to MN schools to play out their careers. And as a result, Providence now has a very negative connotation in MN and Canadian player circles as well as NE, a problem which is only overcome by using scholarship money to largely attract average players other schools wouldn't shell out full schollys for. New/renovated facilities are nice, but they won't get the job done alone. No, I'm definitely not seeing the positive future here under the current management.
                    Some valid points for sure! They can only get better as they were at the bottom last year.

http://www.friars.com/sports/w-hocke...030315aab.html

Incoming class is posted on website since March.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyeast1 View Post
                      Some valid points for sure! They can only get better as they were at the bottom last year.

http://www.friars.com/sports/w-hocke...030315aab.html

Incoming class is posted on website since March.
                      My bad!! Totally missed it as it isn't on the current news rotation and I didn't go back far enough. Class is not as small as listed on the commitments list in the forum either.

Comment

Originally posted by BCAlum
                        Where are the Minnesota recruits? I don't see 1. 5 Canadians though. 1 girl form NY and 1 from Vermont.
                        None in commitments this year, MN kids were 10 of 21 players on roster last season. Fact that there aren't any MN recruits this season speaks to what the reputation of Providence has become amongst MN kids....

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                          None in commitments this year, MN kids were 10 of 21 players on roster last season. Fact that there aren't any MN recruits this season speaks to what the reputation of Providence has become amongst MN kids....
                          I think others followed PC to MN who produces the most D1 US players. Look at Penn State and first year Merrimack. It is hard for any program to continue to get the number of MN recruits that PC had concentrated on the roster a few years ago.

Well except for U of M of course who gets the first choice and best players out of the state.
                          Last edited by joehockey; 08-20-2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Does anyone have news of the new assistant coach?

Comment

Originally posted by hocper View Post
                              Does anyone have news of the new assistant coach?
                              Good guy, did most all the ground work recruiting at RPI, wanted to be closer to home base.

Comment

Working...
                              X