Mercyhurst Lakers 2015 / 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercyhurst Lakers 2015 / 2016

Mr. Bobby Ferraris, resigned from his position of Mercyhurst University associate men's hockey coach to take another position as head coach for his high school alma mater, Trinity-Pawling, in upstate New York. Bobby is highly regarded and will be greatly missed, due to family illness it is the right thing for his family.

Here is a summary of the press release.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ferraris Resigns As Associate Men's Hockey Coach At Mercyhurst

ERIE, Pa. - Mercyhurst University associate men's hockey coach, Robert Ferraris – a 10-year veteran with the program – has resigned, effective at the end of August, to become head hockey coach at his high school alma mater, Trinity-Pawling, in upstate New York. Trinity-Pawling is an all-boys boarding school located in Pawling, N.Y., near the Connecticut border.

"The last ten years have been, quite possibly, the best to work and raise a young family", said Ferraris. "We consider Erie home and will miss all of our friends dearly. I can't thank my best friend (men's head coach) Rick Gotkin enough for the opportunity and I can't thank all of the Mercyhurst community for a wonderful ten years."

As associate head coach at Mercyhurst, Ferraris worked both as coach and recruiting coordinator for the Lakers. Over the years, his role expanded to include many administrative duties, alumni relations, fundraising, and NCAA compliance. Ferraris worked extensively in all areas of team systems analysis, development, practice, and execution.

One of Atlantic Hockey's longest standing coaches, Ferraris assisted the development of three free agents to National Hockey League (NHL) contracts. In 2014, his support produced the program's first-ever Atlantic Hockey Association (AHA) regular season title, as well as the league's Student-Athlete of the Year, Player of the Year, Goaltender of the Year, Best Defenseman, Sportsman of the Year, and Top Defensive Forward. In 2015, for the fourth consecutive season, Mercyhurst earned a spot in the league tournament in Rochester, bolstered by four players who reached the 100-career-point plateau - an Atlantic Hockey record. The Lakers have advanced to the Atlantic Hockey Tournament more than any other league member.

Head coach, Rick Gotkin, offered nothing but praise and best wishes. "I'm really excited for him and his family to be able to return to his alma mater. He is leaving fingerprints all over the men's varsity program. It was a privilege and a joy to coach side-by-side with him and I wish his family and him continued success. Bobby will always be a Laker."

Prior to coming to Erie in 2005, Ferraris spent two years as an assistant at American International College. While at American International, Ferraris earned a master's degree in educational psychology.

Before AIC, he served one season as head coach of the Connecticut Wolves (U16 AAA) and spent six years playing and coaching more than 360 games in professional hockey.

A 1997 graduate of Saint Anselm College, Ferraris earned a bachelor's degree in sociology and was a four-year ice hockey and golf letter-winner for the Hawks, serving both as team captain in 1996-97. Prior to attending St. Anselm, Ferraris attended Trinity-Pawling School and Falmouth (Mass.) High School.

Bobby and his wife Sara have two children, daughter Callia, and son Avery.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Ballroomblitz; 08-07-2015, 08:39 AM.
Working...
X