This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey: Summer 2015 on the Stillwater

Laughable to think guys from Hermon, Carmel, Holden, Brewer etc are going to start watching basketball. Has no chance of drawing more than hockey. They barely care about hockey outside the loyal Walsh die hards, could care less about basketball

Comment

Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
        Quite possible. Won't be surprised to see them be a surprise, on the upside of course. We will know something real quick I would think as to what they got.
        Last edited by all bear; 10-01-2015, 06:24 PM.
        sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
          ......... Women's basketball may win a conference title next year........
          They will certainly contend. However , Albany will be a challenge as they return most of last year's team.

Comment

They hang banners in New Hampshire for achievements as great as that.
            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
              They hang banners in New Hampshire for achievements as great as that.

UNH....the Indianapolis Colts of college hockey!

Meanwhile, from media day: http://bangordailynews.com/2015/10/0...-opener-looms/

Who will we see in net against Michigan State next week? My money's on Romeo

Comment

Laughable to think guys from Hermon, Carmel, Holden, Brewer etc are going to start watching basketball. Has no chance of drawing more than hockey. They barely care about hockey outside the loyal Walsh die hards, could care less about basketball
                Right. People in Maine hate basketball.

http://bangorinfo.com/Feature_photos/feature-2.jpg

Basketball has always been Maine's first love, hockey being the top draw at the university was a happy accident of a Walsh hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                  Right. People in Maine hate basketball.

http://bangorinfo.com/Feature_photos/feature-2.jpg

Basketball has always been Maine's first love, hockey being the top draw at the university was a happy accident of a Walsh hire.
                  People in Maine liked women's bball. The men have never drawn even when Dr J was in the pit
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

AMC says: Maine hockey is just cannon fodder for good hockey teams at this point. How is saying "There is hope that we will get better and one amazing goaltender would really helpfor the hockey team any different than "There is hope that we will get better and one amazing point guard would really help?"."

Because one amazing goaltender can change a whole team. How did Eastern Washington do with Rodney Stuckey running the point? They did not even make the NCAAs. Yet, he stuck around a year after he would have been drafted to play for the Eagles.
                    Additionally, most of the players on Maine's hockey team are at least arguably competent D1 players-- our front liners might be on the 3rd or 4rth line in many many other places, but at least they would make virtually all teams. Last year, Maine's basketball team had one player who was a D1 player--the one player remaining from a 7 member freshman class that was pretty heralded.

I am thrilled to hear (genuinely) that we have a BB coach that people respect.

But lets do the math for the next five years-- lets assume Mens BB does twice as good this year as they did last and then improve in stages to the point where they won 20..... okay, that is 8 + 12+ 16 + 18 + 20 -- that is 74 wins and I am being remarkably generous. Maine hockey even remaining the same would win 15 per year -- that is 75 wins-- and it is more likely than not Maine hockey will win 20 before Maine BB. One amazing goaltender?

How many games last year were we ahead with four or five minutes to go and lose in OT? I remember four, but it might have been more. One amazing goaltender and that is four wins more than we did get. Those eight points get us a home series; an amazing goaltender might have pulled off a 2-1 series win against a team from the bottom half of Hockey East and would kept us competitive with all but the top couple of teams in Hockey East last year (yeah, playing Providence was painful, I get that).
                    Men's basketball was, according to Kenpom.com, one of the five worst BB programs in the country last year. That is out of 345 programs.

That is a long way to go.
                    Last edited by maineblackbear; 10-02-2015, 10:09 AM. Reason: word

Comment

They did go 1-5-3 in OT last year......if they can even that out or just make it through the five minutes with a tie they could flirt with .500. That's my optimistic take for the weekend.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                        They did go 1-5-3 in OT last year......if they can even that out or just make it through the five minutes with a tie they could flirt with .500. That's my optimistic take for the weekend.
                        A .500 season would be a BIG step in the right direction...that would mean the Goaltending is better/and they were able to find some scoring from more then 2 or 3 players/the Freshman made a impact from the get-go. I'm on board with the positive approach to a point...but still see a-lot of questionmarks...with that said, trying NOT to be negative.

Comment

Folks writing the team off without giving them a chance to show what they have on the ice are crazy. I'm under no illusions they are going to win a NC but Red finally has his players coming in so lets see what happens. I think 8 to 10 in HE is realistic, am I jumping for joy over that, nope but its possible they could be better??? We won't know until they play. I'm going to the blue white on Sunday if I can, that should give me some sense on the new guys. At the very least we should have some guys who can make smurfs look over their shoulders.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I'd love it if we had a team this year that would make opposing players skittish about skating into the slot. Will believe it when I start seeing it.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              ......... The men have never drawn even when Dr J was in the pit
                              I remember going to the pit very early before a game. In the early 70's you had to in order to get in and have a good seat. Those games were sell outs and the atmosphere was electric. Bob Warner, Peter Gavett, Tony Hamlin and Wally Russell (a fan favorite). Great times.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                                I remember going to the pit very early before a game. In the early 70's you had to in order to get in and have a good seat. Those games were sell outs and the atmosphere was electric. Bob Warner, Peter Gavett, Tony Hamlin and Wally Russell (a fan favorite). Great times.
                                Don't remember Tony Hamlin....you forgot big bad Nick Susi
                                sure why not

Comment

Working...
                                X