This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey: Summer 2015 on the Stillwater

Two center ice tickets for the Ice Breakers Saturday games available . Good seats for both games. See Michigan State and Lake State tangle followed by Black Bears and North Dakota. $70 for the set. Email me if interested
    sure why not

Comment

This is in response to above poster who thought that Maine basketball would start outdrawing Maine hockey.

It is difficult to imagine a more downtrodden program than UMaine basketball. They could give those tickets away and still not fill the building. Goodness gracious, there was a two-year British Columbian basketball team, Thompson River, that played Gonzaga University last year and at no point did I think the Maine team would have been competitive with Thompson River. Maine hockey is not good right now, but consistently above average goaltending would net this team 6th or 7th in Hockey East. We haven't seen decent netminding in years. Just years. Better defensive play in front of the net, that would be nice. But if you really want to call it on Maine, the reason we are bad and not just average is that we have no idea, from night to night, what we are going to get between the pipes. Its been that way for a while. However, there are fixes that we can see for the hockey team; better goaltending and 6-3 defencemen that live to crush people would get us to Garden. I cannot even imagine a fix for the basketball team. NAIA? Sheesh. Cannot even imagine that Jim Giannini was the most successful basketball coach we would see. Ugly. We have a pretty good women's field hockey team, so we got that going for us.

Our hockey team is still competitive, occasionally, with the best. There is hope that we will get better and one amazing goaltender would really help.

Maine's basketball team could get spotted 40 points by Gonzaga and still lose by 40. Who the heck wants to watch that?

Comment

Can you get beer at the games this weekend? Just curious. Headed for up for the Friday games.
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by maineblackbear View Post
          ..........Jim Giannini was the most successful basketball coach we would see.......
          Not to be critical, but that would be John.

Comment

from Runsub5: "Not to be critical, but that would be John."

heck, i was on a roll. hate when i do that!
            Last edited by maineblackbear; 09-30-2015, 08:59 PM.

Comment

We have 2 tickets to Friday's Icebreaker for sale. Section D row 11. $70 for the pair. Email me if you're interested.

Comment

This is in response to above poster who thought that Maine basketball would start outdrawing Maine hockey.

It is difficult to imagine a more downtrodden program than UMaine basketball. They could give those tickets away and still not fill the building. Goodness gracious, there was a two-year British Columbian basketball team, Thompson River, that played Gonzaga University last year and at no point did I think the Maine team would have been competitive with Thompson River. Maine hockey is not good right now, but consistently above average goaltending would net this team 6th or 7th in Hockey East. We haven't seen decent netminding in years. Just years. Better defensive play in front of the net, that would be nice. But if you really want to call it on Maine, the reason we are bad and not just average is that we have no idea, from night to night, what we are going to get between the pipes. Its been that way for a while. However, there are fixes that we can see for the hockey team; better goaltending and 6-3 defencemen that live to crush people would get us to Garden. I cannot even imagine a fix for the basketball team. NAIA? Sheesh. Cannot even imagine that Jim Giannini was the most successful basketball coach we would see. Ugly. We have a pretty good women's field hockey team, so we got that going for us.

Our hockey team is still competitive, occasionally, with the best. There is hope that we will get better and one amazing goaltender would really help.

Maine's basketball team could get spotted 40 points by Gonzaga and still lose by 40. Who the heck wants to watch that?
                That's one of many question-marks on this team...but with a solid goaltender that keeps you in and steals games is key...along with a defense in front of him...going into the season here's the ?-marks I see. [1] Goaltending [2] Defense/has it improved and will they play a MORE physical and smart game. [3] WHO will score or better will they score [4] Can 4 or 5 Freshman come in and make a difference [5] Can the Coach IMPROVE with what he has...and please save the Rex Ryan/Donald Trump Show.(imo)

Comment

• Originally posted by maineblackbear View Post

Marty wasn't decent goaltending his last 2 years
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Maine basketball is going to win more games than Maine hockey in the next decade and it isn't going to be close.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      Maine basketball is going to win more games than Maine hockey in the next decade and it isn't going to be close.

Doubt it. Maine men's basketball will never win a conference title. Ever. Women's basketball may win a conference title next year, and besides that, we've got nothing to hold out for besides hockey shocking the conference. So long as Cosgrove is on the sidelines, football will be a symbol of 5-6 and 4-7 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                        Doubt it. Maine men's basketball will never win a conference title. Ever. Women's basketball may win a conference title next year, and besides that, we've got nothing to hold out for besides hockey shocking the conference. So long as Cosgrove is on the sidelines, football will be a symbol of 5-6 and 4-7 seasons.
                        Men's basketball has the second best coach at the school behind women's.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          Men's basketball has the second best coach at the school behind women's.

Then why did they win only 4 games last year? Maine is not a basketball school. It's a hockey school. Red will win a conference title before Maine's sorry men's basketball program does. And even if men's hoop does win a conference title they're just cannon fodder for the North Carolinas of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                            Then why did they win only 4 games last year? Maine is not a basketball school. It's a hockey school. Red will win a conference title before Maine's sorry men's basketball program does. And even if men's hoop does win a conference title they're just cannon fodder for the North Carolinas of the world.
                            Because he only had one division one caliber player on his entire roster and took over the team too late to recruit his own players?

Maine hockey is just cannon fodder for good hockey teams at this point. How is saying "There is hope that we will get better and one amazing goaltender would really help." for the hockey team any different than "TThere is hope that we will get better and one amazing point guard would really help?"

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                              Because he only had one division one caliber player on his entire roster and took over the team too late to recruit his own players?

Maine hockey is just cannon fodder for good hockey teams at this point. How is saying "There is hope that we will get better and one amazing goaltender would really help." for the hockey team any different than "TThere is hope that we will get better and one amazing point guard would really help?"
                              I think its way too early to say definitely on either one, especially the basketball coach. I am happy with what Red has done though and think 2017 forward Maine is in the NCAA's most years.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Its going to be a hell of a lot easier for mens hoops to win an America Least title than it would be for Red to pass BC, BU, PC and/or Lowell in any given year.

My guy Cozzy will win another CAA title before either of em.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X