X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
    Nyberg is listed as a left-handed shot here on the Linkoping site, but as a right-hander at Elite Prospects here.
    Looking at the picture at Elite Prospects...he is right handed.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
      Looking at the picture at Elite Prospects...he is right handed.
      This article states right handed as well.

http://wiba.iheart.com/articles/wisc...nsin-14789748/

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
        Most European players have a left handed shot, because of how they hold the stick. They are taught the dominate hand should be on the top of the stick controlling the stick handling. North American players are taught the dominate hand is placed on the bottom part of stick for more power. I know USA hockey was trying to change the thought process to have the dominate hand on the top of the stick which is the main control for most to all movements of the stick. If you look at a European club most players are listed left shot and North American roster majority are right shot. This is the reason.
        That's not quite right. I'm not sure what the numbers are like for the different European countries, but Canada is probably the most "dominant hand on top"-heavy country.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
          That's not quite right. I'm not sure what the numbers are like for the different European countries, but Canada is probably the most "dominant hand on top"-heavy country.
          I stand corrected, it is just a US thing to have the dominant hand on the bottom.

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
            I stand corrected, it is just a US thing to have the dominant hand on the bottom.
            I wouldn't say it's "just" a US thing. There's a lot of both in all countries, even if the percentages are different.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
              I wouldn't say it's "just" a US thing. There's a lot of both in all countries, even if the percentages are different.
              My thoughts are that most kids in the US pick up a baseball bat before a hockey stick growing up. Then the dominant hand on the bottom feels more natural. I know USA hockey 10/15 years ago at the coaching clinics was trying to change the way of thinking on this subject to the "European style". It makes sense to me to have it on the top, but I am way past the point of a change.

Comment

Posick noted on Twitter that the incoming freshman include: Frederic, Zimmer, Labosky, Berry, Blomquist, Greenway, and Nyberg. Also mentions that Stillwell will play another year of juniors and didn't know the future of Berkovitz. Makes no mention about Vance or Sundberg so safe to assume they are probably gone.
                WISCONSIN BADGERS
                NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

• Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                  Posick noted on Twitter that the incoming freshman include: Frederic, Zimmer, Labosky, Berry, Blomquist, Greenway, and Nyberg. Also mentions that Stillwell will play another year of juniors and didn't know the future of Berkovitz. Makes no mention about Vance or Sundberg so safe to assume they are probably gone.
                  I asked him specifically about Stillwell and Berkovitz as others have indicated Sandberg and Vance are not coming to UW. I'd have to guess Berkovitz won't be coming at all.

Comment

So then they are at 7 D for this year and 10 D next year (1 righty in Parcells and 2 lefties in Gildon and Inamoto.)
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      So then they are at 7 D for this year and 10 D next year (1 righty in Parcells and 2 lefties in Gildon and Inamoto.)
                      Davison, Linhart, Bunz, Tischke, Sexton, Greenway, Nyberg and potentially Hurley and/or McGuire. In 2017 potential additions are Stillwell, Parsells, Gildon and Inamoto. There are no Senior defensemen this year, so everybody is hypothetically back for 2017 at D...

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                        I asked him specifically about Stillwell and Berkovitz as others have indicated Sandberg and Vance are not coming to UW. I'd have to guess Berkovitz won't be coming at all.
                        No offense to any of the names (or an Astren), but UW returning to a higher level of Dman play is long overdue. There was a time recently, where every dman in our lineup moved on and played a shift in the NHL and all were 1st or 2nd round draft picks (except for Ramage who was a 4th rounder). While that 2010 team is unprecedented and will unlikely never be replicated, with Oz on the recruiting trail I expect closer to that 2009-10 group then last season grouping.

We've gone:
                        McDonagh-Gardiner-Brendan Smith-Schultz-Goloubef-Ramage
                        Schultz-Gardiner-Ramage-Simonelli-Little-Johnson
                        Schultz-Simonelli-McCabe-Ramage-Little-Faust-Springer
                        McCabe-Ramage-Simonelli-Little-Schulze-Wittchow-Faust
                        McCabe-Simonelli-Schulze-Faust-Drake-Wittchow
                        Dougherty-Wittchow-Schulze-Davison-Linhart-Drake-Ford
                        Linhart-Davision-Schulze-Wittchow-Bunz-Tischke-Sexton

or basically from having 6 dmen talented enough to eventually skate in the NHL to 3-4 for a couple years while that group matriculated through the program, to last years group where I don't see a single guy skating in the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                          . While that 2010 team is unprecedented and will unlikely never be replicated, .
                          Stop being so negative. It will be replicated. Every year. Get used to it. Love it. Embrace it.

Wisconsin Hockey: an NHL team in Madison
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                            Berkovitz has been trending in the wrong direction for a long time. Sioux City gave him away to Green Bay for free just to get him out of town he was so bad there. Just hasn't progressed to the level where he can play Big Ten hockey (no matter how bad the conference may be).

Comment

K'Andre Miller commits to the Badgers
                              Last edited by herbst20; 06-16-2016, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
                                Kandre Miller commits to the Badgers
                                Great news, the turnaround is going to happen quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X