Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Milwaukee Brewers, Back to Back Champions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    What do you guys make of the reports that the Brewers lost money last year?
    hard to take a team at its word given that the books arent public. Easy excuse to not compete.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Re: 2017 Milwaukee Brewers, Back to Back Champions!

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      hard to take a team at its word given that the books arent public. Easy excuse to not compete.
      I agree. It seems to me that wealthy owners don't mind being in the red from a tax perspective. I highly doubt they didn't come out ahead personally even if the team lost money. It seems like an excuse to not invest as much in the team.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I agree. It seems to me that wealthy owners don't mind being in the red from a tax perspective. I highly doubt they didn't come out ahead personally even if the team lost money. It seems like an excuse to not invest as much in the team.
        Don't forget the Blackhawks cried poor during the height of their popularity during their three cup run. I believe it was '10 or '13 that they cried the loudest saying they were deep in the red even after winning the cup. It's all a tax avoidance game.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

And there was this article from 2018 where the Brewers were +$66 Million. So, last year was likely a write off year.

Also, wasn't there a big modernization push of the ballpark in the last year or so (or was that a few years ago and I'm remembering it wrong)? Those costs could have finally hit the books.
          Last edited by aparch; 12-14-2019, 07:49 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

This was always the argument I had when people defended the owners in the NHL lockout, they’re obviously pushing a narrative that every team is losing money but the books aren’t public and it’s easy to do the books in a way that shows your org losing money when it’s convenient to do so. Especially if it’s advantageous for tax purposes or pushing a narrative to gain sympathy so you can make even more money.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
              This was always the argument I had when people defended the owners in the NHL lockout, they’re obviously pushing a narrative that every team is losing money but the books aren’t public and it’s easy to do the books in a way that shows your org losing money when it’s convenient to do so. Especially if it’s advantageous for tax purposes or pushing a narrative to gain sympathy so you can make even more money.
              yup, its the same reason that college sports always run at or above their budget amount...if you don't spend it you lose it. If the Brewers invested a ton in buying that one minor league team and with their facilities at maryvale, of course they'll be in the red this year, depending on how they handle those costs. But its not like the Milwaukee operation isn't doing just fine with a $125 mil payroll. No one is claiming that the Brewers should be up in the 200 mil range with the top 5 spenders but unless there is a very good reason, it seems like the floor should be $120 mil.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

well thank goodness the Brewers finally signed... an outfielder? wait, what?

Avisail Garcia 2/$20 mil.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                  well thank goodness the Brewers finally signed... an outfielder? wait, what?

Avisail Garcia 2/$20 mil.
                  Maybe he's got a mean curve ball?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Braun to 1st

Comment

6 weeks til P and C report...No good free agents left...running outta patience

Comment

Stearns "comfortable with the grouping we have right now" 10 games below .500 at best this year.

Comment

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Hey, pitchers and catchers report this week.

Might have been nice if they managed to get a few more of them.

Mark says trust the process.... I'm trying.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                              Hey, pitchers and catchers report this week.

Might have been nice if they managed to get a few more of them.

Mark says trust the process.... I'm trying.
                              Good news everyone! We're on what would be game 14 of the regular season, and we haven't lost a game yet!

Unfortunately, we haven't won any games either.

Speaking of winning streaks, Adam McCalvy (MLB.com Brewers beat writer) posted a story yesterday about the 1987 Easter Miracle game, where the Brewers got their twelfth win in a row thanks to some walk-off heroics. Archived game footage, courtesy of the Texas Rangers (because local MKE TV didn't air the game) was dug up and digitized. So sit back and enjoy watching the Texas Rangers implode over the last three innings.
                              https://www.mlb.com/news/brewers-1987-easter-win-footage

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Also, I've had an itch for some of the old games (before seeing Adam McCalvy's article) and I found a few that while I couldn't remember the box score, I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome upon re-watching them.

1998 - Cubs at Brewers - September 23rd. Notable: Sammy Sosa hits HR's 64 and 65 during his historic* home run chase against Mark McGuire. Construction of Miller Park in the background. Those gawd awful Motre Bame uni's. Boxscore.
                                Oh, and this man is the Brewers catcher at one point!!

1996 - Brewers at Tigers - September 29th. Notable: Alan Trammell's last game. Old Tiger Stadium. PASS Sports broadcast with Ernie Harwell. The DH. Those gawd awful Motre Bame uni's. Boxscore.
                                Last edited by aparch; 04-11-2020, 11:25 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X