Clear All

Re: Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Originally posted by dirty View Post
    i believe you misspelled bthc here.
    lol

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
      Sounds like a great way to have a bunch of programs drop from offering hockey. Once the number of schools participating grows the tournament should go back to offering two autobids to each conference. One for the conference champion and one for the tournament champion.
      It stands to reason, though, that when you have more schools participating you are going to have more (qualifying) conferences. One approach might be to offer one auto-bid to conferences with minimum 6, and two to conferences with minimum 12, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
        It stands to reason, though, that when you have more schools participating you are going to have more (qualifying) conferences.
        Sure, but in the end, that's not really a big deal; how many regular-season champs each year wouldn't make the field as an at-large team? Pretty much just the AHC leader.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Just got my tickets. Purchased straight from the UNO Athletic Office. They got 400, of which the school's team and administrative contingent come out of, leaving something in the range of 250 or 300 they thought, to sell to the public, and those went on sale at 9:00 A.M. this morning. Didn't even have to go there. They took my order over the phone.

Sounds like the tickets are being FedExed to them, today, since they told me they didn't expect to physically have them until about 10:30 A.M. and they'd call me when I could come and get them at the ticket office on campus (yikes, parking is a nightmare on campus at UNO during the day and it is pouring rain).

UNO's allotment of tickets is in sections 2, 3, 101, 102, & 103 in one corner of Compton. This is the end the home team shoots at twice.

Question, who are the home teams? The upper seeds? Coin flip? What? This seems like something I should know, but, I don't. Perhaps because we only seem to make the tourney every 5 years or so.

I note that there are lot of tickets for sale at reasonable prices on Stubhub (more than 400 when I last checked). Broker prices still don't reflect reality since they are largely priced ridiculous, from what I can see. Less than a dozen ads on Omaha and South Bend Craigslist, combined, for seats, that I see. Some on eBay as well.

These seem like a relatively easy get for anybody that wants to go. Happy to have paid no more than face and sit with our contingent. I bet there are easily 1,000 of our fans in the building on Saturday. The school expects their allotment to be gone before the end of the day This is an easy 550 mile drive and we are playing the late game on Saturday. We gonna leave at 7-8:00 A.M. or so. Outside of the Regional being in Kansas City, Des Moines, Chicago, Sioux Falls, or something, it really doesn't get a lot better than this.

With it being "Maverick Weekend" in South Bend, there are going to be a ton of cowbells on Saturday for both games (hopefully, on Sunday, too). Mankato is is probably going to have the added benefit of UNO fans cheering for them, too, of the ones that straggle in, early.
          Last edited by Red Cows; 03-24-2015, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
            Sure, but in the end, that's not really a big deal; how many regular-season champs each year wouldn't make the field as an at-large team? Pretty much just the AHC leader.

Powers &8^]
            Certainly true, as most regular season winners will be in good PWR shape, unless they bow out of their tournaments early. If the aim is to get a team like Robert Morris in, then you need that regular season auto-bid, and it will be largely the weaker (OOC record) conferences to which it would apply. If in place this year, I believe it would not have mattered beyond Robert Morris (who would have replaced Providence), though Quinnipiac came close to needing it.
            Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 03-24-2015, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
              With it being "Maverick Weekend" in South Bend, there are going to be a ton of cowbells on Saturday for both games (hopefully, on Sunday, too). Mankato is is probably going to have the added benefit of UNO fans cheering for them, too, of the ones that straggle in, early.
              Are they going to allow bells into the venue? lol I know RIT is planning on bringing their band, so noise will be good.
              RIT Tigers

Comment

My hope is that the winner of whole tourny is a team from this regional (preferrably MSUM obviously), or Mich Tech. It would do well for college hockey. With Union and Yale winning these past few years it has shown that its anyones game. Plus with only 16 teams in, #1 losing to #16 is completely plausible almost every year. I fully believe MSUM is as good as advertised, losing to RIT wont change that. RIT has a solid team. This isnt Kentucky vs Hampton. Holy Cross defeat of the Gophers few years ago proved that. (which still is one of the best moments in college hockey for me as I was in a bar in the twin cities watching with Gopher fans. I hate the UofM and it was so utterly sweet to see the smug smiled wiped off their face.)
                All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                  I fully believe MSUM is as good as advertised, losing to RIT wont change that. RIT has a solid team.
                  Yeah, I'd be OK with an RIT victory. Mainly because I agree that Minnesota State is very good!

Comment

UNO's allotment of tickets is in sections 2, 3, 101, 102, & 103 in one corner of Compton. This is the end the home team shoots at twice...

...Question, who are the home teams? The upper seeds? Coin flip? What? This seems like something I should know, but, I don't. Perhaps because we only seem to make the tourney every 5 years or so.
                    Higher seeds are home teams and will occupy the "Notre Dame" bench at the Compton Family Ice Arena. This means UNO will shoot at the net UNO fans are near for the 1st and 3rd periods. Teams would be reseeded after the games, so if RIT pulls off the upset either UNO or Harvard would be the home team Sunday night. For the UNO fans, your seats are located in the closest corner to the entrance to the CFIA.

The bench on the home team side is significantly higher than the road side, and since Notre Dame built the rink with team benches on both sides, the "home" team has a pretty nice advantage by way of where they sit. Less fatiguing for line changes, as well as the penalty bench is 10 feet from your bench instead of 90 feet across the ice.

The views from most seats at the CFIA are pretty good. The arena has good sight lines and the lighting is focused very well. The view from the upper deck is fabulous, with the caveat that behind the goals you look through the protective netting and unless you are used to that it takes a while to get used to focusing beyond it. The UNO allotment is in the student sections, which means bleachers instead of individual chairback seats. But the legroom is great and the seats aren't cramped at all. Contrast this with the seats along the north end of the building (behind the ND bench and along that side of the rink), which are kind of cramped. Some sections on the opposite end have wider seats. One of my original section mates even moved over to that side after the first season of the CFIA to get access to a better fit.

Comment

I'm just happy our players names will be on the jerseys this time.
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

Im excited for the UNO Harvard game. Seen UNO play and they can bring it. They struggled a bit late but I really think people are making more of that then they should. Blais is a great coach and he will have them ready to go on all cylinders come Saturday.
                        Last edited by MavsFan19; 03-24-2015, 12:09 PM.
                        All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                          Im excited for the UNO Harvard game. Seen UNO play and they can bring it. They struggled a bit late but I really think people are making more of that then they should. Blais is a great coach and he will have them ready to go on all cylinders come Saturday.
                          If this is a tie game in the 3rd, if I were Harvard, I think I'd be paying an awful lot of attention to where and what Austin Ortega is up to, oh, he who is now the new owner of the all-time NCAA record for game winning goals in a single season with 12, a record that was originally set 45 years ago and tied 6 times since, and not since 2002.

By the way, the 1st of those 12 game winners this season was against a certain team playing in the early game on Saturday.

Comment

UNO is chartering buses to take students to South Bend:

http://www.unomaha.edu/news/maverick...saDcl0.twitter

Comment

UNO is chartering buses to take students to South Bend:

http://www.unomaha.edu/news/maverick...saDcl0.twitter
                              we have to pay $300 tickets to all 3 games a room and buss ride...but im still going and i will have a red shirt on for red cows first game

Comment

Originally posted by dpm105 View Post
                                Here's to hoping the mascots in the final can be slightly more "exotic".
                                I'm not sure a "crimson" qualifies as exotic...
                                "A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." -Calvin

4:00 double minors for roughing, to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X