Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An 'Honest" Conversation About Race? Just Give Me My Coffee!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An 'Honest" Conversation About Race? Just Give Me My Coffee!

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    So, what's the best way to complement Booker on his intelligence? Is there a way? Or is that just a minefield as well?
    I mean, if you want to say he's smart, just say "he's smart". :P

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

So apparently Bloomberg said Booker was "well-spoken" and Booker took offense to this. I get why it can be a dicey thing to say in a lot of circumstances but I also assume it depended on the context.
      I think it's an over-reaction (despite what others have posted otherwise) in that imho what he meant by, "well-spoken" was, "I like what he has to say". I've referred to white people before as, "well spoken". It didn't mean I thought that they enunciate well or know big words, it was that they had something important to say.

And no Kepler it shouldn't be assumed otherwise because there are plenty of people of Booker's stature (even white *gasp*) that reached their place despite themselves and couldn't solve their way out of an open paper bag.

Now I am not an idiot and am well-aware of the arguments against using the phrase including Rock's wonderful routine, but can't we ever just pause, sit back, and think before we (inevitably?) raise the pitchforks?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Now I am not an idiot and am well-aware of the arguments against using the phrase including Rock's wonderful routine, but can't we ever just pause, sit back, and think before we (inevitably?) raise the pitchforks?
        It's not our call. If the person we say something about says, "hey, I don't like that sh-t," then they don't like that sh-t. Full stop.

Lesson 1 in "unlearning how to be a white male as-shole" is listen to people when they tell you you're being a white male as-shole. Obviously you wouldn't do it if you knew you were doing it. So the fact that you're doing it -- without meaning to -- should make you change your behavior when people tell you, "huh, well, actually..."

This also works with women.

We were born being told we were the standard of what counts as appropriate behavior. In our lucid moments we know this isn't fair. But that's not enough. What's enough is to stop acting like we do. Even (especially) when it doesn't feel like we're doing anything wrong.

You're a good person. Listen to people when they tell you sh-t.
        Last edited by Kepler; 12-06-2019, 04:25 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          It's not our call. If the person we say something about says, "hey, I don't like that sh-t," then they don't like that sh-t. Full stop.

Lesson 1 in "unlearning how to be a white male as-shole" is listen to people when they tell you you're being a white male as-shole. Obviously you wouldn't do it if you knew you were doing it. So the fact that you're doing it -- without meaning to -- should make you change your behavior when people tell you, "huh, well, actually..."

This also works with women.

We were born being told we ran the world. In our lucid moments we know this isn't fair. But that's not enough. What's enough to to stop acting like we do.

You're a good person. Listen to people when they tell you sh-t.
          I'm aware of the "rule" and would avoid the phrase, but it doesn't negate my observation. Booker has every right to take offense, but he could also as a well-reasoned adult think for a second before reacting.

Is there no compliment Bloomberg could pay Booker without someone reacting, "Why would say that - because he's a black man?". He didn't say he was surprised by it, he said he appreciated it. And again if what he truly meant was, "I like what he has to say" would that too be a bridge too far?

Comment

Don't look at the Irish candidate and say, "he's so sober!"
            But this would actually be surprising.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

I'm aware of the "rule" and would avoid the phrase, but it doesn't negate my observation. Booker has every right to take offense, but he could also as a well-reasoned adult think for a second before reacting.
              Well, Booker is a bad example because obviously he thought about and picked a cynical political strategy on how to react (I am shocked, shocked do you hear...?!). Nothing these guys say on camera is ever sincere. I don't actually give a sh-t about how Booker took it (which we'll never know). He's a politician, not a person.

But if you're gonna say that as a white dude then you can't complain for one second when you are buried under a metric ton of horse dung because you should have known better.

Bloomberg is, no doubt, "good with money." I do not recommend Mayor Pete bringing it up.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

But if you're gonna say that as a white dude then you can't complain for one second when you are buried under a metric ton of horse dung because you should have known better.
                *Yes on the whole I fundamentally agree with you 100%.

As far as Booker the politician - and this assumes the first people to react were not Booker he only heard about it later - how cool would have it been for him to say, "I understand why people would take offense to that phrase when said about a POC, but I also understand it's not condescending to respect the intelligence and policies of one".

That said we still need to circle back to *.

Comment

*Yes on the whole I fundamentally agree with you 100%.

As far as Booker the politician - and this assumes the first people to react were not Booker he only heard about it later - how cool would have it been for him to say, "I understand why people would take offense to that phrase when said about a POC, but I also understand it's not condescending to respect the intelligence and policies of one".

That said we still need to circle back to *.
                  That would have been cool. It would have been the opposite of Cory Booker as I understand him. Obama would do that. Abrams might do that. Not Cory -- Cory's still using the '90s playbook.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                    I mean, if you want to say he's smart, just say "he's smart". :P
                    I had something very similar typed up but figured the Chorale would come up with more humorous results.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Assume a black man running for president speaks well.
                      Ben Carson

Assume a woman running for president is logical.
                      Williamson & Gabbard

Don't look at the Irish candidate and say, "he's so sober!"
                      Well now how am I going to complement Beto?
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Ben Carson

Williamson & Gabbard

Well now how am I going to complement Beto?

Comment

Oof. I woke up this on Facebook.

Someone posted a news story about an anonymous $1m donations to the Science Museum.

First comment from one of her friends:
                          Pretty bland last week when we went there. They even had a "race" exhibit. Screamed whiteman bad🤮. Body worlds was cool though
                          huh?
                          just the displays i noticed in the race exhibit. Such as a street sign that stated "privilege way", painting of the white men screwing over the natives and minorities etc etc.
                          I love being white
                          i do not care who you are. If you are a Great American I'm cool with ya
                          I guess I don't understand on what side of the fence you're picking here but there's plenty equal to opportunities for all of us
                          yup. I am just sick of all the race ****. Can't we all just be civilised.
                          seems to me like there's a lot more racism against whites than anybody nowadays so calm your ****
                          dude. I'm a Trump supporter, white Jew *** with a bi-racial son. I'm the most hated man in liberal side of America😆
                          But now I guess I should rewind my remark because I just seen your hat LOL rock on bro
                          Code:

Comment

Run away.
                            Faster.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Your friend has some real dumb effing friends

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                Your friend has some real dumb effing friends
                                Everyone does. I try to only have smart ones, but there's always a number of them that become dumb. It's annoying.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X