Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An 'Honest" Conversation About Race? Just Give Me My Coffee!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An 'Honest" Conversation About Race? Just Give Me My Coffee!

I don't frequent Starbucks.

If I did, I wonder how many baristas would be ready with an answer to the question, "isn't it true that the blacks who were purchased as slaves by the slave-traders were sold into slavery by other blacks as an instrument of tribal warfare?"

Yeah, just the thing everyone else in line wants to hear when they are jones-ing for their first caffeine fix of the day, right?

How is it that every so-called "honest 'conversation'" about race is so one-sided? Is 'honest conversation' the new euphemism for 'snooty condescending lecture on political correctness' these days?

"Racism" is pretty much like any other economic reality: the rich of every race use whatever tricks and tools they have available to keep poor people so busy arguing among themselves that they never stop and notice, "hey, what are we fighting with each other for? we're all poor, and [I]they/I] are all rich."

News flash: Al Sharpton, Eric Holder, Barack Obama, they are all part of the 1%. "Racism" hasn't held them back, has it?

Clarification: racism is quite real and quite pernicious. I am not denying it nor minimizing it.

I am merely saying that racism is not "white vs black", simply it is a clever and insidious way for rich people to keep poor whites and poor blacks so busy fighting amongst themselves that they do not even think about banding together based on their common poverty.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 03-21-2015, 07:09 AM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Re: An 'Honest" Conversation About Race? Just Give Me My Coffee!

You may not be denying it, but you are minimizing it. But that's par for the course for someone who quotes the WSJ and NY Post editorial pages as gospel.

Comment

How do you like your coffee?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        How do you like your coffee?
        Like my men: black.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I am merely saying that racism is not "white vs black", simply it is a clever and insidious way for rich people to keep poor whites and poor blacks so busy fighting amongst themselves that they do not even think about banding together based on their common poverty.
          Ok then.

Comment

This should be entertaining. Where's that popcorn emoji?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              This should be entertaining. Where's that popcorn emoji?
              How soon do we need the sheriff of Rock Ridge in here to maintain order?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That Starbucks garbage is not even worthy of a USCHO thread - and that's saying something!
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  How soon do we need the sheriff of Rock Ridge in here to maintain order?
                  "We'll give some land to the n******s and the c****s, but we don't want the Irish!"

Comment

White guys have names like Lenny, whereas black guys have names like Carl.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                      White guys have names like Lenny, whereas black guys have names like Carl.
                      And white guys from the South have names like Coral.
                      (/walkingdeadjoke)

Comment

Last edited by dxmnkd316; 07-17-2019, 10:43 PM.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

DeeDee has always been a POS. He just likes to remind us from time to time to keep his Q Score up.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So the 1619 Project is getting coverage today. It's a series by the NYT timed to coincide with the 400th anniversary of the first slaves coming to America. This caught my eye on the Wiki page:

Portugal was granted a monopoly on trade in West Africa and Spain by the Vatican, in the fifteenth century.
                            Holy ****. I had no idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1619_Project
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              So the 1619 Project is getting coverage today. It's a series by the NYT timed to coincide with the 400th anniversary of the first slaves coming to America. This caught my eye on the Wiki page:

Holy ****. I had no idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1619_Project
                              I assume they are talking about the Treaty of Tordesillas.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X