Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2015 off-season thread

Originally posted by LakerBaker
    No, just trying to pose some questions, as a Laker Hockey fan, regarding players that might not be back next season, for whatever reason, and their and others feelings about this coach and the respect he may or may not be garnering, on a forum discussing all things, Laker hockey.

I think they are very valid questions, and not answering them may be as telling as if people did.
    Why didn't you post any similar concerns when Roque was coach? He cut players.

Comment

I've been a member of this forum for a matter of weeks Bill, so that would not be possible, or irrelevant for the current discussion on the 2015-16 off-season.

You seem to be close to the team, and have all the answers, can you answer the question I posed above? Has Whitten in this past year earned the respect of his players or the community as a whole?

As a Laker hockey fan I would like to know which players won't be coming back next season? And yes Bill, Roque, Anzalone, Borek, Jackson, and all before have cut players.
      For a matter of weeks under this user name, yes, but I doubt there are many Lakers fans that frequent this forum who don't think you've been on here under prior user name(s).

I follow recruiting pretty closely but I don't live near the Soo and don't know any players or what the community's perception of Damon is. Most fans on here are happy with him and willing to give him a chance. A better time to ask that question is after he's been coach a few years. One season of being a head coach is not much to go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Hockey Fanatic View Post
        The body count is at 5 so far. 3 scholarship athletes have been cut and 2 walk-ons.
        I see you are spewing your hate towards Damon and Laker Hockey on twitter again.
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

I will ask that question when it's that time, but it's not a few years, and it's not the last nine years, its 2015 off-season, as the thread says.

When a question is posed on who might be the players being cut, because of all the new recruits and the pure numbers of it, or if the coach has earned respect from his players and the community is posed, instead of making all sorts of crazy theories or connections to whom is asking the question, can anyone actually answer the questions?

I agree Bill, one year isn't a lot to go on, but you still have to acknowledge it, and the things going on with the program.

Laker fans have been starving for a winning team for years. No matter what the threads name is it's still ok to talk about general Laker Hockey topics.

This has been a very difficult season for all involved from fans to players and everyone in between and quite a few fans saw that coming. I think Damon is a good man and his job is tough and I think if you get to know him you'll find he's passionate and very likeable. I do respect him but I do feel for the players that were brought in with a coach that does not get retained so a new coach comes in that implements a system and buckles down on strength and conditioning. When the players get his system down and he gets more of his recruits in and the better results come he will be fine.
          BLEED BLUE

Comment

This year was a freebie for Whitten . Next year the clock starts and time will be the judge .

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
              This year was a freebie for Whitten . Next year the clock starts and time will be the judge .

I guess that's what I was trying to get at.
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

I doubt it will take just two years for Damon to fix Jim Roque's big mess that he left behind. It took Mel four years to build Tech into the great team they are today.
                Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 03-20-2015, 03:01 PM.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

No, just trying to pose some questions, as a Laker Hockey fan, regarding players that might not be back next season, for whatever reason, and their and others feelings about this coach and the respect he may or may not be garnering, on a forum discussing all things, Laker hockey.

I think they are very valid questions, and not answering them may be as telling as if people did.
                  I do apologize. I can't figure out how I got the two of you confused.

Listen, Eddie ... I have only one screen name. Up until I created this account, I would only troll the board as a guest. That was until someone started taking pot shots at my Twitter account, compelling me to defend myself.
                  I'm not going to get into a ****ing match with "Bill" (or as I call him, Al) over this. I tell it like it is on my Twitter account. Maybe people need to develop thicker skin if they're going to play a D1 sport. Fans are supportive AND critical of their team when it's called for. I'm not going to sensor myself and poop out rainbows and unicorns when the team isn't producing. I like W's. Plain and simple.
                  Originally posted by LakerBaker View Post
                  I'm glad you don't expect us to share ALL your opinions, wouldn't think you would be that arrogant. As a Laker fan, I have higher expectations in my team. Leading the nation in losses isn't one of those. Uncalled for to point that out and what their performance is on the ice under this coach? You can't be serious??? This is Divison I athletics grow some thicker skin.
                  I already did, I'm a Laker fan who expects better, don't peg me into the groups that you like to create for those that don't aspouse to your agenda, or even dare to disagree with the all knowing Bill on the USCHO board.

Comment

It seems it was a throw away year for The Lakers. Seems some players may have gotten thrown away in the process.Only time will tell tough for players brought in from previous coach I'm sure.

Comment

Outsider trolling.
                      IMHO it doesn't matter what the old coach did or didn't do. That's the past and can't be changed. It is what it is.
                      New coach comes in and wants what he thinks will make the team successful.
                      That would be to whatever his expectations are for physical fitness.
                      Play whichever way he wants you to play.
                      The guys he brings in he thinks will be up to his expectations.
                      If you are a team veteran you either are better than what coach brings in or you're cut.
                      Put the players you think will bring you success over several years on the ice.
                      These aren't Mites and everybody gets a trophy.
                      Coach either reaches a certain level of success or he's out of a job.
                      For the time he had between his hiring and season start and the players he had to work with it would appear that he did a pretty good job.
                      A throw away year?
                      Not the way I see it.

Comment

8-28-2
                        During Jim Roque's 9 seasons as coach, the Lakers never had a winning record in conference play. Not even a .500 record (in conference play) as far as that goes.
                        Last edited by Bill; 03-21-2015, 08:57 AM.

Comment

The Lakers would have probably gottten home ice had they been playing in the Atlantic Conference . Right now this is not a very good team and it will most likely take getting rid of 20 players now playing for the team and you are talking a couple years of players playing out their remaining time before you see the full impact of Whitten's recruiting .

Comment

During Whitten's coaching career, minus one season as camera man for Comley, his teams were never above .500. With 8 victories in 36 games, leading the NCAA in losses, I'm not as confident as you seem to be. This same wait until next year excuse has been used by you, and many for the last 10. I think after one season Laker fans should expect a little bit better than finishing behind Alabama Huntsville.
                            Any serious sports fan knows that time spent as an assistant coach doesn't count as part of a coaches official W-L record. If you're honest, you have to admit the cupboard was pretty bare when Roque was fired. No returning goalies with any experience. Very little returning experience on defense. Not much scoring punch returning. New coach with a new system. What were you expecting, a miracle?

Comment

The Lakers would have probably gottten home ice had they been playing in the Atlantic Conference . Right now this is not a very good team and it will most likely take getting rid of 20 players now playing for the team and you are talking a couple years of players playing out their remaining time before you see the full impact of Whitten's recruiting .
                              By the 2016-17 season, the majority of the team will be Whitten's recruits although there will still be some Roque recruits on the team. Some of the Roque recruits will likely do fine under Whitten's system.

Comment

Kevin Aldridge decided to leave the team on his own, and it's no secret that it was because he wasn't impressed with Whitten's leadership. I wonder if this will effect that future of the Laker Hockey golf outing at their family course?

Comment

Working...
                                X