Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2015 off-season thread

Originally posted by newt-ski View Post
    I am glad this season is over. No more excuses on the laker hockey show, I am sick of hearing we are taking baby steps. Lets admit it Laker Hockey sucked this year.Lets hope they do a lot better job of recruting, I really do not know if Rich Metro knows what he is doing, They need to get some goal scorers in here right now. Looks like their goaltending and defense should be good next year.Hopefully team gets better next year and the veterans improve not decline.
    Team will be better next year and I fully trust this coaching staff in terms of recruiting the right players. I know I keep saying it but it bears repeating, the current coaching staff inherited a massive mess. a team without an identity or direction and such a team requires a complete reboot and that takes time. I know that is the last thing we fans want to hear because quite honestly we've been waiting for a turn around for over 15 years and every corner or bend has so far been a dead end. Things are changing though and for the better....Anzalone was close to righting the ship by his 4th and final season but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be, he was dismissed for valid reasons. Bill Crawford then made a very poor decision in not even attempting to seek qualified candidates for the position instead giving the job to the wrong person and that was perhaos the most disastrous decision made for the program and it has nearly killed it. Dunbar, for all her faults, did her due diligence and got her last hire right. The only question now is does Whitten have the time needed for a rebuild???
    If we can be patient and give him at least another couple of years, the answer is yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooth Squid View Post
      I can't wait. All LSSU needs is more goals, less PIMs, Better D, More Fans, A differents AD, Less Eddie Bishop, Rich Metro to take over as head coach, Jeff Jackson back, Francis Anzalone, Doug Weight, Mark Vermette, A larger Net on the visitors end, oh yeah better refs, Bill C to retire, Bill C to become the AD again, an act of God, devine intervention, the QD to give the other team food poisoning, powerplay goals, 7 hi end recruits, and less excuses.
      Followed what you said, except for one point. Who in the world is Eddie Bishop?

Comment

Anthony Nellis is getting hot at the right time ,but every time Lakers bring in star recruit he does nothing for Lakers all the hype and the player either gets hurt or has a hard time adjusting to Lakers system then all the excuses start

Comment

The BCHL finally has a press release on Jake Hand committing to the Lakers. Also, Jake had the game winning goal last night in a Chilliwack 4-3 playoff win over Prince George.

http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/newslette...393&page=87067

Comment

Every year we have some very good recruits coming in and every year we are at the bottom . But Notre Dame has a bunch of NHL recruits and they did nothing this year. I do think Whitten and his coaching staff have been selling Lake State and the future of hockey at the university . It seems the coaching staff is selling a level of excitement about the direction of the team that is grabbing the interest of some very good Junior players who want to be part of the rebuilding process .
            Last edited by sm2pk; 03-17-2015, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
              Every year we have some very good recruits coming in and every year we are at the bottom . But Notre Dame has a bunch of NHL recruits and they did nothing this year. I do think Whitten and his coaching staff have been selling Lake State and the future of hockey at the university . It seems the coaching staff is selling a level of excitement about the direction of the team that is grabbing the interest of some very good Junior players who want to be part of the rebuilding process .

I can't argue with you on any of your points but one of the differences from the last few seasons is where the recruits are coming from. How many years have loyal Laker fans like us wanted to see recruiting in the USHL or the BCHL and AJHL ? True this last season was very hard to get through for fans and I'm sure players but I'm not feeling as low at this time as I have the last 4 or 5 seasons. Heck I'm not really low at all the Future is looking bright for Laker Hockey. Next year will be better then the next then the next.
              Last edited by PerkyforPrez; 03-17-2015, 06:33 PM.
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Anthony Nellis with a goal and an assist tonight in a Pembroke 3-2 OT win against Brockville.

Comment

I would like to find out how many colleges went after this Nellis. The way he seems to be scoring makes me wonder if he is this good . Why Lake State over all the power house schools in the nation ?

Comment

I would like to find out how many colleges went after this Nellis. The way he seems to be scoring makes me wonder if he is this good . Why Lake State over all the power house schools in the nation ?
                    Many schools have certain academic standards
                    I'm kidding, the kid's a genius for all I know.

In truth, Coach Whitten spent several years building relationships in the BCHL etc. that seem to be bearing fruit now that he has his own program to run.
                    Last edited by geezer; 03-18-2015, 08:45 AM.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Nellis played for Sherbrooke in the Quebec Junior A Hockey League (QJAHL) up until this past season. That league isn't scouted very heavily by college scouts and thus doesn't get much NCAA exposure. I think his goal was to get an NCAA Div 1 scholarship so he moved to the CCHL (Pembroke) for more exposure this season, his last of Junior eligibility. I think Pete Aubry probably saw him play in an early season CCHL Showcase event, liked him a lot, then Metro and Whitten also watched him play as a cross check. We got on him early once he was playing in the CCHL and he committed to us.

I think the CCHL has been producing more Div 1 players the past 5 or 10 years. It's mostly scouted by Eastern schools, but we've been getting some guys from there also and I know Ferris has too. And UAH's goalie Guerriero came out of the CCHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        I think the CCHL has been producing more Div 1 players the past 5 or 10 years. It's mostly scouted by Eastern schools, but we've been getting some guys from there also and I know Ferris has too. And UAH's goalie Guerriero came out of the CCHL.
                        BG has four guys from the CCHL.
                        Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBaker
                          What is the math with recruits coming in next year, and positions available? I'm curious to how many cuts Whitten is going to be making. My count is 9 incoming players, with 3 seniors, makes for an interesting situation. I'm not as smart as many on here (see below) but that makes for potentially five or six cuts and players heading home.

Bill with your vast knowledge of all things recruiting, can you add your insight into this matter, and interject? I'm sure you will correct me if I am mistaken sir.
                          I don't think any of us know for sure how many new guys we'll have next season. It's been discussed before. You're welcome to go back and read it if you care to you. Keep in mind that the Lakers also lost Kevin Aldridge. I think most of us are aware that there will likely be a few guys not coming back next season,

Comment

If the Lakers and the Badgers played in a best of three series this season, I think the Lakers could actually beat them. What a sorry season for Wisconsin.
                            LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBaker
                              Thanks for the info Bill, I forgot about Aldridge leaving. I think there will be at least 6 players cut by Whitten, looking at it from a pure numbers perspective.

Question I have for those close to the team and some of the players is this, after one year, has Whitten earned the respect in the locker room and with his players? Has he earned respect in the community as a whole? I think these are valid questions for any coach coming in, or in general.
                              The body count is at 5 so far. 3 scholarship athletes have been cut and 2 walk-ons.

Comment

Where has LakerBlue been ?
                                BLEED BLUE

Comment

Working...
                                X