X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2015 Off Season Thread: Another Long Spring and Summer

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
    When I started at RPI, students were admitted free to football games. All we had to do was show our ID cards. But as I recall, they had ticket booths by the entrance to '86 Field, so I guess they must have charged admission to the general public.

One year, the first issue of the Poly came out before the first home football game. There was an article in there indicating that, for the first time, there would be a nominal charge (25 cents or some exorbitant figure like that) for students to attend football games. The article went on with the helpful advice that if anyone wanted to avoid waiting in line to purchase a student ticket on game day, tickets could be purchased in advance at the Field House.

I figured the early bird gets the worm. I went up to the Field House, presented myself at the box office, and told them I wanted to buy a student ticket for the football game.

The person at the window was rather nonplussed. She turned to someone sitting in the office behind her and asked if they were selling tickets for football games. The other person said, oh, yes, a roll of tickets had been sent over from the athletic offices in the '87 Gym. The roll of tickets was brought over to the window - I remember the lady at the window had to peel off a piece of tape in order to be able to detach one ticket from the roll - and I handed in my 25 cents and was given my ticket.

On game day, I went over to the gate at '86 Field and offered my ticket to the person at the gate, who said "What's this?"

I said, "It's my student ticket to the game."

He said, "Are you a student?"

I said, "Yes."

He said, "You don't need a ticket. All students get in free. All you need to do is show me your ID."

I found out later that as soon as the article hit the Poly, the GM and/or PU and/or other members of the student government had kicked up a fuss and the decision to charge students admission to football games had been rescinded. I was probably the only person who ever bought one of those student tickets.

I hung onto that ticket for years, as a reminder that the early bird gets the worm, but if you're the early worm, that's another matter altogether.
    Since we overlapped at RPI my memory is obviously faulty since I don't recall having to show an ID to get into the football games. I know that I sometimes went, but I am not sure how often.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Waite21.

Although 25 cents sounds cheap, that's what hockey tickets for students cost when I was a freshman. I think it had doubled by the time you arrived.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Waite21.

Although 25 cents sounds cheap, that's what hockey tickets for students cost when I was a freshman. I think it had doubled by the time you arrived.
        Did you get your money's worth??
        Of course, you had to look around all those poles back then.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
          Both are true statements.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Waite21.

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
            I think the student tickets for hockey were 50 cents. I know they were cheaper for students than for the general public. An S-shaped hole was punched into the ticket to indicate it had been bought for the student price, and I had to show my ID or the ticket would not be accepted at the game. I had friends in Hoosick Falls who asked me if I could get them reduced price tickets for RPI hockey and I had to tell them I could get the tickets, but they wouldn't be able to use them.

Yes, there surely were poles, but yes, the hockey was worth the price of admission.

Comment

Hayton won GOTW for this weekend. A .983 sv% and 1 GA in two playoff wins will do that. He was also nominated for POTW.
              RPI Pep Band
              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Today is 18 March 2015. There are 199 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2015 for the start of next season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

B*tchiness and beauty are not mutually exclusive, not by far.
                  Completely agree.

The first word, used as an adjective, is a descriptive term for an unpleasant personality trait, while the first syllable, used as a noun, is an offensive pejorative that dehumanizes the person into an object of scorn and derision.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Waite21.

25 cents sounds cheap, [today].
                    Using Department of Labor Consumer Price Index, $0.25 in 1964 ~ $2.50 in 2014, so it does sound cheap on an inflation-adjusted basis.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      Using Department of Labor Consumer Price Index, $0.25 in 1964 ~ $2.50 in 2014, so it does sound cheap on an inflation-adjusted basis.
                      As does the $1600/year tuition from that year.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

That would make it around $16,000 today. Just goes to show that demand can cause the price of goods to increase on a real basis, not just a nominal basis.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          As bad as we were during my time there, and we were perhaps the worst in the country ever at that time, fairly decent numbers of fans showed up. Maybe it was just to watch the dogs running on the field at halftime? But the spirit was there and brought out the students. I recall the Nicholls game where we built a substantial lead (only to give up two scores very late to leave with a miserable tie) where fans flocked to the game when they heard we might finally win one. When we finally beat Middlebury after 42 losses(and the tie with Nicholls) in a row, there was a crowd several people deep surrounding the place. The noise was incredible and the atmosphere was electric. Not sure which year was the worst - 1963 when we were outscored 200-16 in 6 games or 1962(before I got there) when we were outscored 337-36 and in one game against Vermont lost 82-6.
                          I have a book called "The Football Hall of Shame" and I was very surprised when I got to a section and see that Ed Jontos from RPI was in it. The jist of the story was that one of his players tore his cleats apart, and he needed a size 12. Jontos made his players remove their shoes, and no one had a size 12, so the player was forced to sit out the rest of the game. After the game, Jontos took his sneakers off, and you guessed it, size 12.
                          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            That would make it around $16,000 today. Just goes to show that demand can cause the price of goods to increase on a real basis, not just a nominal basis.
                            Do you think that the rise in cost in real figures has anything to do with demand?
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

My first year tuition was $1200 for 12-18 credits. Per credit(a la carte I guess) I believe it was $105. I do remember buying my books at the bookstore a few days before classes began and walking out with change from a $100 bill but needed help carrying all of them because of the total number of books. The Resnick/Halliday(???) book was not in a bound format and was soft cover almost like a loose leaf. Oh, and first assignments of what needed to be read were already posted in the bookstore days before classes even began.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                                My first year tuition was $1200 for 12-18 credits. Per credit(a la carte I guess) I believe it was $105. I do remember buying my books at the bookstore a few days before classes began and walking out with change from a $100 bill but needed help carrying all of them because of the total number of books. The Resnick/Halliday(???) book was not in a bound format and was soft cover almost like a loose leaf. Oh, and first assignments of what needed to be read were already posted in the bookstore days before classes even began.
                                I assume that you mean 12-18 credits per semester not per year. I didn't think that it went up from as much as from $1200 to $1600 shortly before I arrived. My recollection was back then they raised tuition every two years. It was $1600, $1800, $1800, and $2050 my four years. It was $1600 the year before I arrived, and although I do not know what it was in 1962-3, I would think that it was more than $1200.

The R&H which I used was the 6th printing. I wonder why they used an unbound version shortly before. Are you sure that you aren't thinking of the chem book which was as you described? I wonder if I still have the chem book. R&H I have because I had it at work and it is sitting here now on a shelf with all of the text books which I had at work and brought home when I retired. I never had use at work for chemistry.

In any case it is not really important.
                                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-18-2015, 01:39 PM. Reason: Changed $1200 to $1600.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X