No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones, Season V: Arya Ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game of Thrones, Season V: Arya Ready?

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Last year, IIRC, we asked that anybody discussing book/show differences have that conversation using white text. Most people followed it though one or two guys got a bit persnickety with idea.

I don't see why we can't the same model again this year.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    That works for me.
    Me too. Now as to the offending post, I wouldn't say that was a spoiler ... but maybe a teaser? From 2 to 200 people have died over the last 4 seasons .

Comment

As to the books, I think I'm in the middle of book 3, but I'm not certain. I bought the first four books on my Kindle as a pack, which all show up as a single book. I'm 61% complete with the four-pack, which I expect puts me somewhere in the first third of book 3. Ygritte just shot John Snow through the thigh with an arrow while Bran, Hodor, et al were watching it all unfold from the nearby tower.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I will say that of the "released" cast information, we can safely make assumptions that:

We might not be seeing much of the Riverlands or Iron Islands this seasons. And we're probably skipping quite a bit of Tyrion's journey to Slaver's Bay (which isn't even over by the end of book 5). We will, however, be covering a fair amount of Dorne stuff (from the book or invented for the show? who knows?) as well as some amount of the Faith Militant portion of the 4th book.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Can't wait. Read all the books last summer and am excited for the new season to begin!
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Season 5 will start to diverge from the books somewhat, according to the showrunners (no spoliers in the article).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...usaolp00000592

Sorry book readers, but "Game of Thrones" creators D.B. Weiss and David Benioff are going to deliver the spoiler of all spoilers.

The two showrunners for the HBO series are some of the few people who know the ending to George R.R. Martin's still unfinished The Song of Ice and Fire book series, which "Game of Thrones" is based on. Last year, they revealed to Vanity Fair that the author explained the ending for "every character" in Westeros. Martin, who recently announced he's skipping fan conventions to finish Book 6, The Winds of Winter, said in 2013 that the the odds of the show catching up to the books "are very long." HBO programming president Michael Lombardo also echoed Martin at the time, telling Entertainment Weekly, "Let’s all hope and pray that’s not going to be a problem."

But while speaking at the Oxford Union, Benioff confirmed that spoilers are most definitely coming soon. "We’ll eventually, basically, meet up at pretty much the same place where George is going," Benioff said. According to the co-creator, there will be parts of the show that stray from the books, as we already know about Season 5's altered storylines and surprising deaths not in Martin's work. "I kind of wish there were some things we didn’t have to spoil, in terms of the books," Benioff continued, "but we’re kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The show must go on."

The showrunners have expressed their hope multiple times for "Game of Thrones" to run for only seven seasons, but HBO recently revealed that they want more, if possible. If the show extends beyond Season 7, that would give Martin more time to complete his final book in the series, A Dream of Spring, and avoid spoilers in the show for a while longer. But as Benioff said, "We can't put the show on hiatus [...] so we have to kind of keep pushing forward." Watch the full Oxford Union address below.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

GoT should just embrace the idea that they're overpassing the books and just have a wildly different ending. I don't think it hurts The Walking Dead to deviate wildly from its source material here and there, but then again their source material (and end product) doesn't really have as much going on behind it IMO.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

It would seem there are many cast members we are used to seeing that won't make an appearance in season 5, if Feast of Crows is any indicator. One particular story line in particular is conspicuously on hiatus.

Comment

This will be the first season I'm watching week-to-week. I finally made the jump in last year after season 4 was over.

One question about this thread since I haven't read the books, are plot lines from the books that haven't made it on the show frequently posted?
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    This will be the first season I'm watching week-to-week. I finally made the jump in last year after season 4 was over.

One question about this thread since I haven't read the books, are plot lines from the books that haven't made it on the show frequently posted?
                    Frequently posted in this thread? No, not really. A few people have discussed the books, but they're doing it using white text, easy enough to skip should you choose.

Besides that, the showrunners have announced that they're using GRR Martin's notes and will move ahead of the books in certain respects and the show will start to deviate from the books more than it has in the past. Characters in the show will die that are not slated to die in the books, some others might live.

I'm reading the books right now, where Bran's group just made it over/through the Wall. This portion of the book is vastly different than the show becuase it takes place at the same time as the battle between the Night's Watch and the Wildlings and yet they come across a character in the book that's present at the Night's Watch battle in the show. I'm finding so many differences that it's coming to the point where using the books as a guide to the show will only suit you if you're not overly pent up on every small change.

Comment

I'm reading the books right now, where Bran's group just made it over/through the Wall. This portion of the book is vastly different than the show becuase it takes place at the same time as the battle between the Night's Watch and the Wildlings and yet they come across a character in the book that's present at the Night's Watch battle in the show. I'm finding so many differences that it's coming to the point where using the books as a guide to the show will only suit you if you're not overly pent up on every small change.
                      Oh my yes. Such as the location of Robb's bride during the Red Wedding.

Do you think we might see a peculiar kind of showdown between the Faith Militant and Beric Dondarian's followers (and ... unusual ... ally)?

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                        Oh my yes. Such as the location of Robb's bride during the Red Wedding.

Do you think we might see a peculiar kind of showdown between the Faith Militant and Beric Dondarian's followers (and ... unusual ... ally)?
                        I don't think the Faith Militant have been introduced yet for where I'm at in the books, or at least I don't recall who they are.

ETA: Speaking of Robb's bride, the fact that she's an entirely different character in the books than the show. I'm sure that upset some purists out there. While the book's version makes more sense when you think of certain logical progressions taking place during midieval times, the show has Robb foreswearing his marriage oath to Lord Frey in a much more modern manner, of a woman earning the respect of the King rather than just being the pretty daughter of a lord whose keep he just defeated.
                        Last edited by St. Clown; 03-31-2015, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I don't think the Faith Militant have been introduced yet for where I'm at in the books, or at least I don't recall who they are.

ETA: Speaking of Robb's bride, the fact that she's an entirely different character in the books than the show. I'm sure that upset some purists out there. While the book's version makes more sense when you think of certain logical progressions taking place during midieval times, the show has Robb foreswearing his marriage oath to Lord Frey in a much more modern manner, of a woman earning the respect of the King rather than just being the pretty daughter of a lord whose keep he just defeated.
                          I haven't gotten to the Faith Militant in the books yet either. I believe they're introduced in Feast for Crows. I do know about them though, since I have some information about what happens in the next 2 books before I read them. Based on the previews for season 5, I am guessing we'll see the Faith Militant, and that storyline has the potential to be very interesting, IMO.

The question about Beric Dondarrion's Merry Band of Outlaws and their "friend" that was mentioned. There is no sign of that in the casting or previews, but I believe it will happen, because it is too good of a storyline to miss out on. I'm guessing they're just keeping it hushed, so to avoid possible spoilers.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Book Spoilers and questions about theories below:

I have read a theory that the Faith Militant's high septon guy (should be introduced this next season) has a hidden identity. It is part of the theory that is called "The Grand Northern Conspiracy". The portion about the high septon claims that the high septon is actually Howland Reed. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

What is everyone's opinion of Jon's parentage? R+L=J? I personally think that it is too easy to go that route, and GRRM wouldn't make it that simple. There are 2 more dragons out there, but I have other ideas that don't involve Jon. But then, there are a bunch of signs that R+L=J is correct. I don't know...need to hear from Howland Reed at some point.

Also looking forward to seeing where Jaqen 'd Hagar shows up again, I've heard he'll show up in Oldtown at some point, but I don't have the details and haven't read that far. My guess is that beyond this season.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I just finished reading book #3, which ends pretty much right where the show's season #4 ends, so I'm not reading any more of the books until after this season ends.

Earlier someone asked about a particular character returning, and I think the show would have an excellent opening to use that chapter at the end of the book containing Petyr "Pimple" (lesser character from the book, not Petyr Baelish, don't recall him mentioned in the show, though). It would be a great way to kick off the season, setting a tone for the show, more for the use of other characters in the show.

Comment

Valar morghulis.

Comment

Working...
                                X