Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXII: No Where To Go But Up!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXII: No Where To Go But Up!

Faceoffs:

Friday 28 of 63 (44.44%)
    Saturday 31 of 57 (54.39%)

Need to have the puck to win. Good to see them fight back after being down one goal twice and then holding the lead late.

Also, LaBate took 28 draws Friday and 2 (yes TWO) today. Rockwood went 1 for 7 on Friday and 7 for 11 today.
    Last edited by IndianaBadger1995; 02-14-2015, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
        Cavallini is starting to impress me.

Cavallini appears to me to have completely rebuilt his skating. I always thought he played hard, but now he's got some power in his stride and is getting to where he wants to go a lot easier. I really questioned if he could play at this level before because of his skating, but now I think he can probably be a solid contributor in a role the Badgers really need him to play going forward.

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
        Faceoffs:

Friday 28 of 63 (44.44%)
        Saturday 31 of 57 (54.39%)

Need to have the puck to win. Good to see them fight back after being down one goal twice and then holding the lead late.

Also, LaBate took 28 draws Friday and 2 (yes TWO) today. Rockwood went 1 for 7 on Friday and 7 for 11 today.
        Wagner and Zullinick took 4 each Friday and 12 and 13 last night too. Biggest thing to me was we won a lot of d-zone faceoffs. I always think faceoffs won are an indicator of if you are winning puck battles and the Badgers were so much better in that department last night it's hard to believe the same guys were on the ice from the night before.

The vets obviously all played much better. Other guys might get more kudos, but overall I though Linhart played one of his best games of the year in his own end. Greco is really a handful and he made some really nice plays against him, plus he moved the puck well. Drake also played more like he did early in the year. Steady Eddie has been playing well most nights but I think he's one of the few returnees that has actually improved his game throughout the year, let alone playing up to last year's standards. Pretty good work by the by the D corp in general, and that makes such a huge difference in how the Badgers go.

OSU got some momentum going in the third, but rather than fold up, it was good to see the Badgers string together some good shifts and take it back. I was a wreck watching the last four minutes, I can just imagine how the boys felt down the stretch. But they held it together and got rewarded. Happy for all these guys to get a road win. Absolutely no doubt it was the best Valentine's Day performance of the year!

Also: It has happened before.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

And to all the Badger Fans like TJK and others I've ticked off this year -- We actually won a game!

I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            So you're telling me there's a chance.
            Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
            Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
            sigpic
            Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
            1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              And to all the Badger Fans like TJK and others I've ticked off this year -- We actually won a game!

Hey, you are still dangerous.........You can be my wingman anytime!
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Well, that was the most positively complete game I have seen the lads play all year, less the poor D on the first goal. They really tightened up compared to Friday, it was like night and day. Now they must prove they have turned the corner the next series.

Rocky was again UW's best non-goalie. Hughes is coming along nicely as well. Besse has the best shot of a UW player that I've seen in years.

Soleway and Zullinick need to step it up. Soleway hasn't crushed people lately and Zullinick has had chances to hit and chooses not to. Zully also is gliding too much out there, kind of being invisible. He had a sneaky good shot in one of the games and a nice pass on Beese's goal, that was it. Cavalini, McGuire and Wagner are more noticeable than those 2 lately.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Andy, is Ustaski coming back this weekend? If so, who is the odd man out?

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                    Ford?
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                      I'm honestly not sure. If he does come back I'd take Cavallini out. I know some here have liked his game lately but Ford and McGuire both bring more to the table imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                        I'm honestly not sure. If he does come back I'd take Cavallini out. I know some here have liked his game lately but Ford and McGuire both bring more to the table imo.
                        McGuire sure does have a figure skating whirling derby of a wrist shot. I don't know if any of you have seen it or know what I'm talking about. It certainly entertains me.
                        WISCONSIN BADGERS
                        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          I was thinking Ford may have played himself into a spot in the line up, which makes this a tough one. I would think Cavallini sits at least one night.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                            What are the chances he is back this weekend? Too early in the week to tell?

Comment

What are the chances he is back this weekend? Too early in the week to tell?
                              I have no idea. I'm sure Baggot will have an update this week. All we know is lower body right now.

At this point in the season it's not worth me bothering people that would know about an injury to Matt Ustaski. Now, if this team was in contention and it was a guy who had an effect on the outcome, I'd be happy to go find that information. But for now, we wait.

I was thinking Ford may have played himself into a spot in the line up, which makes this a tough one. I would think Cavallini sits at least one night.
                              I like what Ford brings in terms of his skating and effort level on a consistent basis. Not to go all cliche on you guys, but he's one of those puppy dogs Eaves talks about at times. He's not afraid to go a billion miles per hour into the corner after a defenseman because he doesn't know any better. And that's not a bad thing. Some other guys on this team are way too lax with offensive zone pressure. Ford isn't afraid to let it rip. I could see him turning into a really effective fourth line guy for Wisconsin the next few years.

Corbin McGuire has the most skill out of all three players in question and actually has the ability to score (not that you should be relying on Corbin McGuire to score goals). With Cavallini on the ice I'm just happy if he can dump the puck in the corner and get off the ice. He's improved his skating but he's still a liability. He's virtually zero threat to add offense and struggles to keep up against even good skaters at this level. I'll take the other two guys at this point.
                              Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 02-18-2015, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Nobody at the Monday presser asked about Utaski or about injuries in general and Posick also didn't ask during the Wisconsin Hockey Hour. He did talk about the Westminster Dog show quite a bit though.

Hopefully Utaski's skating this week in practice and that's why nobody thought to bring it up... I thought Utaski did some nice things the last couple of games. Can't help but have some hopes for him. Besides the size he's got some really nice hands and is a decent skater. Be nice if he had Mersch to bang around in front of the net in practice with to see how it's done. I think he's taken some good steps in the right direction though and if he can just continue on the course he can be a really nice player here.

I'm glad there's at least some debate over who's out. Those three guys have all been better as the season's gone on and we're going to need them to play some important roles next year. Who plays will probably come down to how they practice this week if Utaski is back in. That's usually the case.

Also don't forget to vote for he Jim Santulli 7th Man Award here.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X