Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXII: No Where To Go But Up!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXII: No Where To Go But Up!

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    He'd be in his first year here, he's in his second OHL year. He had 14 pts in 33 games played his rookie year and has 90 in 47 games this year. It's hard to say whether if he'd played another year of juniors and then came to UW he'd be tearing it up quite so much initially in this season.

I think if the Badgers had Kerdiles centering the top line all year the results would be significantly better. With Dvorak, probably not so significantly better given the schedule and the youth all around. Fact is the games UW played against really beatable teams came pretty early in the year and even a guy like Dvorak now isn't really outclassing the competition the last dozen games. Or really in 15 of the 22 played.
    For reference, Dvorak tore his ACL last year and missed most of the year. Still went in the 2nd round of the NHL Draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      For reference, Dvorak tore his ACL last year and missed most of the year. Still went in the 2nd round of the NHL Draft.
      Thanks for the info, as always.

I think all I was trying to say was that in his first year here he might not have had the kind of impact folks just looking at his CHL numbers might think. I believe he was still taken a little ahead of his pre-draft projection (at #58 overall) so maybe the knee didn't damage him too much pick-wise, I don't know. At any rate, last year's numbers were through his first 33 games as he was injured in January.

Here's some NCAA eligible players from that draft:

#15.Dylan Larkin C Mich 10-20-30pts
      #18. Alex Tuch RW BC 8-11-19pts
      #20. Nick Schmaltz F UND 3-16-19pts

#41. Joshua Jacobs D MI ST
      #47. Ryan Collins D MN
      #51. Jack Dougherty D UW
      #52. Maxim Letunov F to BU '15-'16
      #55. Brandon Montour D Umass
      #57. Johnathan MacLeod D BU

#58.Christain Dvorak
      #64 Brandon Hickey D BU
      #67 Warren Foegele F UNH 3-5-8pts.
      #69 Jack Glover D MN

#70 Miles Gendron D to UCONN '15-'16
      #80 Louis Belpedio D Miami
      #83. Matt Iacopelli F To WMU '15-'16
      88. Beau Starrett to F Cornell '15-'16
      92. Joe Wegwerth F to Notre Dame '15-'16
      98. Fredrik Olofsson F to UNO '15-'16

100. Shane Eiserman F UHH 3-7-10pts
      103. J.J. Piccinich F BU 1-1-2pts

Larkin has been great, Tuch, and Schmaltz not bad at all. After that, who knows? The next three forwards taken playing NCAA's this year have 8, 10, and 2 points. Not saying at all Dvorak wouldn't be a great player here, he could be up there with the top 20 draftee guys and may end up even better. Just saying there's not a lot to point to that would indicate he would be a super star here in his first year. Could be wrong.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        It's almost like he had premonitions.

Although I do wonder how much better our season would be if he were tearing it up here instead of there.
        Unless he was a goal per game player, UW would still be struggling badly. Likely be looking at a handful of additional wins, but the D wouldn't be any better.

This team isn't one or even two players away from being competitive, let alone a contender.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          So its not a huge loss, is that what your saying? To me it's just more of the same - Eaves not getting the job done. Add Dvorak and Boeser next year and you got something. Now - more puppies crapping on the carpet.
          No, that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm saying.

But since you insist that practically every comment revolve around Eaves: If Dvorak wanted to play NCAA hockey but not at UW (Because, Eaves) he could have decommitted and gone to any number of top schools. He had a year to do so and he was heavily recruited. He chose UW over the rest and committed. If he was playing NCAA hockey, it would be at UW. I'm not sure how it's Eaves' fault Dvorak and his Dad almost out of the blue decided to go back on their word and forgo his eligibility to go to the CHL?
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

But since you insist that practically every comment revolve around Eaves: If Dvorak wanted to play NCAA hockey but not at UW (Because, Eaves) he could have decommitted and gone to any number of top schools. He had a year to do so and he was heavily recruited. He chose UW over the rest and committed. If he was playing NCAA hockey, it would be at UW. I'm not sure how it's Eaves' fault Dvorak and his Dad almost out of the blue decided to go back on their word and forgo his eligibility to go to the CHL?
            As we continue the Eaves cycle of lots of freshman every 4 years, you don't think that knowing it was a rebuilding year or two (the one or two that he would be in college) had anything to do with it? These types of decommitts, leaving the program, going Canadian route, etc. are becoming more and more numerous. But its not Eaves fault - got it.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

If Dvorak wasn't picked by London, there is a strong possibility he is Badger. London is very aggressive in keeping there drafted players and they were the host team last year for the Memorial Cup. Every NHL team most likely had multiple scouts at that tournament. London had 4 or 5 first round NHL picks to start last season. Also, the Knights are the most recognized team in Canada and get the most press in the CHL. There were a lot of things weighing towards London, I would agree Eaves had little to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                If Dvorak wasn't picked by London, there is a strong possibility he is Badger. London is very aggressive in keeping there drafted players and they were the host team last year for the Memorial Cup. Every NHL team most likely had multiple scouts at that tournament. London had 4 or 5 first round NHL picks to start last season. Also, the Knights are the most recognized team in Canada and get the most press in the CHL. There were a lot of things weighing towards London, I would agree Eaves had little to do with it.
                I didn't know any of this, just CHL is bad! Thanks for sharing with us uneducated commoner fans.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                  The fact that the WHL has really struggled to make inroads into MN, thanks much to the strength the the community and HS hockey model they follow plus the widespread success and knowledge of the USHL/college option, has really helped shield us from much of the impact MJ has on players making it to campus.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                    The fact that the WHL has really struggled to make inroads into MN, thanks much to the strength the the community and HS hockey model they follow plus the widespread success and knowledge of the USHL/college option, has really helped shield us from much of the impact MJ has on players making it to campus.
                    It helps also that MN players have to go to the WHL instead of the OHL. The OHL is a much better league top to bottom than the WHL. It is nice not to have to worry too much about the CHL. It would make recruiting into a bigger circus, like it is in college football.

Comment

It helps also that MN players have to go to the WHL instead of the OHL. The OHL is a much better league top to bottom than the WHL. It is nice not to have to worry too much about the CHL. It would make recruiting into a bigger circus, like it is in college football.
                      I still worry about the CHL. Two huge recruiting targets in Tyson Jost and Dante Fabbro, the #'s 7 and 8 overall WHL draft picks have to somehow be pried away from the evil clutches of the Everett Silvertips and the Seattle Thunderbirds respectively. It's probably going to be a big, uphill job, unfortunately.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                        I still worry about the CHL. Two huge recruiting targets in Tyson Jost and Dante Fabbro, the #'s 7 and 8 overall WHL draft picks have to somehow be pried away from the evil clutches of the Everett Silvertips and the Seattle Thunderbirds respectively. It's probably going to be a big, uphill job, unfortunately.
                        Both seem to want to play college hockey, Fabbro in particular. If they choose college, it WILL be UW.
                        WISCONSIN BADGERS
                        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Geography likely has something to do with it as well. Brandon is over 8 hours from MPLS, while the next closest, Regina, is 11 hours away. Michigan is within a 90 minute commute of 4 OHL teams in (Plymouth/Flint, Windsor, Saginaw, Sarnia) and Michigan State is close as well. Metro Detroit kids have this proximity benefit in their choice and all the teams west of Toronto are about 4 hours away. Many more attractive options. The Ontario market for high-end recruits really dried up for the CCHA/Big Ten teams in the past 5+ years.

Comment

Gurt, checked out a new local rink last night. Verona happened to be playing, that was an interesting end to a high school hockey game. On a positive note, #6 is going to be a really good player. I was surprised to see he is in 9th grade.

Comment

Gurt, checked out a new local rink last night. Verona happened to be playing, that was an interesting end to a high school hockey game.

Yes, it was.

I was the one who yelled, "Stay classy S__ P_______!" at their parents. It went dead silent after that.

The boys will remember that game. My kid said it reminded him of something out of Slap Shot with all of their parents yelling at them as they left the ice. The angry mob - displaced anger as their team was the one taking liberties (lots of high hands around cages) after whistles. Oh well.

The kid from SP who almost incited a line brawl during the handshake got a 5 and a 10 minute game misconduct (which carries a 1 game suspension and counts towards the 3 DQ limit) after regulation. Well earned. That could have been real ugly.

Overall, the boys laughed it off and had a ball with it. They're teenagers after all. Could hear them chanting "SP SUCKS!" from their locker room afterwards.

Could have gotten ugly in the concourse and lobby afterwards. We've got some gorillas in our dad corp and they were in no mood after watching SP's parents' display.

Luckily, cooler heads prevailed.
                              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 02-06-2015, 11:09 AM.

Comment

On a positive note, #6 is going to be a really good player. I was surprised to see he is in 9th grade.

Must spread. Don't want to comment on individual high school players in a public forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X