Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bad Cop, Bad Cop, Whatcha gonna do?

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    You asked me a question and I answered it...and *I* am changing the subject?

A "youth" game probably isn't the best place for dissent. I would argue a high school tournament isn't "youth" sports however.

I didn't ask you a question. I accused you of dodging (at the time of the post).

A 16 or 17 year old is a "youth." It's called high school "boys" basketball.

Not the time or place for political statements - whether they are statements that I agree with or not.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 12-28-2014, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      I didn't ask you a question. I accused you of dodging (at the time of the post).
      Priceless - I would ask you this. What if a team from Alabama wanted to wear t-shirts with an aborted fetus on it during warmups? You good with that?
      That sure looks like a question to me. That's why those things at the end are called "question marks."

Comment

Dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge.
          FuQ.

He asked, I answered. Just because you don't like my answer isn't my problem.

Comment

Lol. Remember when you told me to watch my language?

Stay classy. Or I'll have to report you to the board. Which might get a little awkward.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Lol. Remember when you told me to watch my language?

Stay classy. Or I'll have to report you to the board. Which might get a little awkward.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Cool. I don't even have to respond since it's already done for me!

I would say that they don't wear these during games, only during warmups. The same as the NBA players...did you really think LeBron wore this instead of his Cavaliers uniform?
                You asked me a question and I answered it...and *I* am changing the subject?

A "youth" game probably isn't the best place for dissent. I would argue a high school tournament isn't "youth" sports however.
                Please show me where in the first post you answered the question.

Comment

Let me give you this example, priceless.

True story: went to a TB Rays season opener against Baltimore a couple years ago. I had a shirt from the previous playoffs that read "Buck sucks and Baltimore Blows."

Guess what? They wouldn't let me in the stadium with it. Too obscene, they said.

Sure, I argued how either Sucks or Blows is obscene, but I went back to my car and got another buddies extra jersey to wear over it.

Why, you ask? Because it's their (TB Rays) house, and their rules. I didn't stomp my feet, scream and yell "Freedom of Speech though!!!!11one!1!"

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                    Please show me where in the first post you answered the question.
                    So you do recognize that it was a question, right?
                    I'm not the one trying to limit speech here. If someone really wants to wear an anti-choice shirt during warmups that's their call.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                      Let me give you this example, priceless.

True story: went to a TB Rays season opener against Baltimore a couple years ago. I had a shirt from the previous playoffs that read "Buck sucks and Baltimore Blows."

Guess what? They wouldn't let me in the stadium with it. Too obscene, they said.

Sure, I argued how either Sucks or Blows is obscene, but I went back to my car and got another buddies extra jersey to wear over it.

Why, you ask? Because it's their (TB Rays) house, and their rules. I didn't stomp my feet, scream and yell "Freedom of Speech though!!!!11one!1!"
                      They're not claiming the shirts are offensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        They're not claiming the shirts are offensive.
                        By being told that it was too obscene, they are obviously inferring that Johnny Jocksniffer might get offended.

Oh, and here is their policy on it for you. Oh look! Obscene and offensive listed right next to each other! Go down to "Guest code of conduct" to learn.

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/tb/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=ballpark_guide

Next rebuttal?
                        Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 12-29-2014, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                          By being told that it was too obscene, they are obviously inferring that Johnny Jocksniffer might get offended.

Next rebuttal?
                          No, no...the school is not claiming they are banning the shirts because they are obscene. Obscenity is a whole separate argument in the Supreme Court.

They are claiming "security" which is specious at best. You can claim anything if you yell "Security!" loud enough. For example, someone could decide that - entirely in the name of security - wearing a cross is banned because of anti-Catholic sentiment in the community, and the crowd is so unruly that they would attack the Christians on sight. Not religious bigotry, mind you, but security concerns.

Comment

Political speech gets deemed "controversial" based on the political correctness standards of the community. Wearing a "these colors don't run" or "gun control is using both hands" or other knuckledragger malarkey message is fine because that's blessed by the shibboleths of the community. But wear something that challenges the power structure and now that's "dangerous" or "provocative" or at best "bad manners." That's the ordinary double standard that conservatives will always benefit from.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The school is just keeping these kids from being used, and thrust into the middle of something they most likely have no desire to be in. People with a political agenda felt it would further the agenda to convince these kids to become walking billboards for their message. The result, if permitted, would be to put these kids into the middle of a fight between supporters of the message, and those like cops or other people who don't agree with the message.

It's a high school athletic event. If we're going to be putting any messages on the students, it had better be for the purpose of advertising athletic gear, and nothing else.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                It's a high school athletic event. If we're going to be putting any messages on the students, it had better be for the purpose of advertising athletic gear, and nothing else.
                                You forgot the other traditional message.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X