Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 'Power 5' changes kill college hockey's parity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 'Power 5' changes kill college hockey's parity?

I guess only time will tell...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/281873611.html
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: Will 'Power 5' changes kill college hockey's parity?

Possibly eventually but not for a long time. I wouldn't be concerned about it....
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

When you consider that there are only a handful of power 5 schools, I think it will be a long time before there is an impact, especially when you consider that most of them are in the Big 10.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Can someone explain this like I'm an idiot?
        What/who is the Power 5?
        Whose rule changes? The Power 5's or the NCAA's?
        Why wouldn't the rules apply to other schools?
        I am very lost.
        Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
          Can someone explain this like I'm an idiot?
          What/who is the Power 5?
          Whose rule changes? The Power 5's or the NCAA's?
          Why wouldn't the rules apply to other schools?
          I am very lost.
          Read the article for heaven's sake.

In a nutshell, Power5 or P5 is ACC, B1G, Pac12,Big12, SEC. P5 schools belong to these conferences. They were just granted autonomy and can pay their players stipends now. Nothing is stopping the non-P5s from doing so except P5 schools have all the money from the major television deals they get and the non-P5s will not be able to afford it. So basically, competitive advantage P5.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Yale's disadvantage relative to the pre-P5 environment was much greater than a typical non-P5 factory school's disadvantage will be to P5 schools. It will hurt competitiveness, but amateur teams will still be able to win.

Plus it's not like those schools in the grey area don't already bend the rules to the point of breaking, anyway.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              Read the article for heaven's sake.
              I did, dang it! The article assumes the reader knows a lot of things that I do not. Like, for example, which schools belong to any of those conferences (except the Big 10 hockey schools; I know those).

This part still confuses me:
              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              They were just granted autonomy and can pay their players stipends now. Nothing is stopping the non-P5s from doing so
              So if only they got autonomy, but any conference can pay their players (if they can afford it), what difference does "autonomy" make?
              Also, granted autonomy by whom? The line "when the new 'Power 5' alignment writes new rules for the nation’s most powerful conferences" makes it sound like they're just making up their own rules.

This is confusing, "USCHO’s Top 20 includes seven programs that play up from lower NCAA divisions, and only one program — the No. 1 Gophers — from the Big Ten." I'm pretty sure everyone in the top 20 is D1
              Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

This is confusing, "USCHO’s Top 20 includes seven programs that play up from lower NCAA divisions, and only one program — the No. 1 Gophers — from the Big Ten." I'm pretty sure everyone in the top 20 is D1
                The seven in the current rankings that are playing up to DI are St. Cloud (DII), Union (DIII), Michigan Tech (DII), Minn. St. (DII), Ferris (DII), Minn. Duluth (DII), and Northern Mich. (DII).
                Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

As I understand it the Power 5 hockey programs are the six Big 10 schools:
                  1. Michigan
                  2. Michigan State
                  3. Minnesota
                  4. Ohio State
                  5. Penn State
                  6. Wisconsin

Plus the two Atlantic Coast Conference schools that play hockey:
                  7. Boston College
                  8. Notre Dame

I wonder if the changes will also apply to the five schools that have women's hockey programs?
                  3. Minnesota
                  4. Ohio State
                  5. Penn State
                  6. Wisconsin
                  7. Boston College
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

D1 in hockey sure, but not other sports. That's what they are referring to. Tech is definitely only D1 in hockey, along with Union, MSU, Ferris, UMD, Robert Morris, and NMU. (That's without looking them up... I think I'm close though.)
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Have to think that this will have a very chilling effect on perhaps 1/2 of current D-1 teams...how do smaller programs that are already having a difficult time competing match up to schools who will now offer 400 a month stipends and scholarships for life....time will indeed tell but it will not take as much time as many here think.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                        D1 in hockey sure, but not other sports. That's what they are referring to. Tech is definitely only D1 in hockey, along with Union, MSU, Ferris, UMD, Robert Morris, and NMU. (That's without looking them up... I think I'm close though.)
                        close. swap RMU out for St. Cloud, and you got it.
                        Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                          Have to think that this will have a very chilling effect on perhaps 1/2 of current D-1 teams...how do smaller programs that are already having a difficult time competing match up to schools who will now offer 400 a month stipends and scholarships for life....time will indeed tell but it will not take as much time as many here think.
                          It's not like the lesser conferences were on any kind of level playing field to begin with, especially in football which is where the real money is. Hockey really is the biggest sport that non P5 teams have consistent chances of winning the title. Basketball has some chances, but the P5 will likely win a lot more often than not there as well.

Nobody is forcing schools to pay the money - only that they can now legally do so.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                            It's not like the lesser conferences were on any kind of level playing field to begin with, especially in football which is where the real money is. Hockey really is the biggest sport that non P5 teams have consistent chances of winning the title. Basketball has some chances, but the P5 will likely win a lot more often than not there as well.

Nobody is forcing schools to pay the money - only that they can now legally do so.
                            Agreed.

Keep in mind that basically we're talking solely about the Power 5 (and other schools that can afford to pay the stipend) getting a recruiting edge. How many kids is a school like Ferris State going to normally draw away from a program like Michigan to begin with? My guess is the kid who would normally pick Ferris over Michigan isn't going to change his mind because he can get an extra $5k/year (or whatever the number turns out to be) to go to Ann Arbor. I think this is especially true when you factor in that many kids that play hockey at that level are from families that aren't really struggling too much (and yes, this is a very broad generalization).

The real difference could be if a school like Ferris State pays the stipend where say a school like Lake Superior State does not. The way I see it, this could make a difference if you have two schools (or a group of schools) that battle over the same recruits, and some of this group have the stipend where others don't. Even then, I'm not entirely sold that it will make a big impact in college hockey.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

If the B1G did get to play by different rules to attract better players, and then won more games, wouldn't that give more parity to college hockey?
                              BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Working...
                              X