Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

College Hockey Slap Schotts: Seeing the lights
    http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...seeing-lights/

Union fans should be pleased with the new lighting. It makes seeing the game that much better. And there aren’t any dark spots on the ice.

And if you are watching the Dutchmen’s games at home, you will notice that the lighting makes it better to view the games. Saturday morning, I caught the third period of Friday’s AIC game that was televised by Time Warner Cable SportsChannel, and watching the telecast, you noticed the difference. No dark shadows. It was crystal clear.

I also saw that on the Union video that fans can watch at home. The team has new high-definition cameras, and that has made the video 10 times better.

One benefit of the lighting is that it doesn’t give off as much heat as the previous lighting did. That, in turn, helps keep the ice from getting soft, especially when Messa is packed for a game.

“With the old ones, we had a lot of dead spots,” said Adam Brinker, assistant athletic director of facilities at Union. “They weren’t very bright. They were uneven. The biggest reason [for the change] is the energy savings. These do not give off heat, which is only going to help the ice conditions. It’s colder in here now. It makes for a better ice sheet. The energy savings is going to be enormous.”
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      I also saw that on the Union video that fans can watch at home. The team has new high-definition cameras, and that has made the video 10 times better.
      Not having seen the streaming video, it seems there is a difference of opinion on the quality of the feed.

No. 2 in both polls this week, color me skeptical.

Comment

Mike Vecchione named ECAC Hockey Player of the Week.

Comment

I just read in the Gazette 16 of 18 skaters had points over the weekend, talk about playing as a team.
          Union College Hockey
          2014 NCAA National Champions
          2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
            I just read in the Gazette 16 of 18 skaters had points over the weekend, talk about playing as a team.
            I tweeted that stat out on Sunday. Considering who Union lost and who was suspended, it was very encouraging to see so many players contributing early.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
              No. 2 in both polls this week, color me skeptical.
              Agreed: At this point polls are absolutely meaningless except to fans and the media. It gives the media something to report. #2 or #22, it does not matter. Coaches are throwing their freshmen into the fray to see what they have. All the teams are an unknown. Last year we were 2-3-2 but you could see that we were a much better team and there was the making of something special. Now we are 2-0 but we look no where near last year in terms of teamwork and no one would expect us to be at that level at this point. We have an awful lot of work to do in some areas. There are some very pleasant surprises. We have not lost our ability to "find a way to win" ... Coaches are going to continue to experiment with lineups and be far less concerned with polls until they fully understand the strengths and weaknesses of their teams. Look at the Fighting Sioux .... always start out slow. Its way too early for any fan of any team to despair or lose faith in the future ... or celebrate.

What I have seen ....

Were AIC and UNH that good? We saw them at their very best and my guess is that we will see every team at their very best because we will be a benchmark for them. I was extremely impressed with the AIC goalie and the entire UNH team. We are going to see the very best that Maine has to offer which is very scary because we will be playing them in their barn. Does it appear that we have the potential talent to develop 4 lines again that can burn you? The answer appears to be Yes. Some of that 4th line, all upperclassmen, is stepping up big time. Other upperclassmen are also, but some are not. Did our "D" struggle to keep up with the speed of UNH? Yes. They compensated by going into shot blocking mode ("ouch !!"). Are we winning faceoffs? Yes, much improved. Are we allowing way too many shots? Yes. Glad we are NOT playing UNH at home or SCSU at home with their speed and "Big Ice".

Maine will be another test. If you look at just their home record last year, 12-3, they are, when playing at home, a top 5 team in the country. We will be without a player who "single handedly" scored 25% of our GWGs last year. We will see Maine at their very best at this stage of the season. http://bangordailynews.com/2014/10/1...aska-setbacks/

One game at a time, one period at a time, one shift at a time.
              Last edited by Dutchman; 10-15-2014, 08:19 AM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

This http://www.uscho.com/2014/10/15/unio...r-its-coaches/ And have to love that photo of Vecchs

Comment

Jooris recalled by Calgary. He could make his NHL debut tomorrow at Columbus.

Comment

Former Union forward Jay Varady tapped to lead U.S Junior Select Team.
                    Last edited by rdf8585; 10-16-2014, 11:22 AM.

Comment

If things happened a little differently, Union defenseman Sebastien Gingras would be a member of the opposition this weekend...

http://bit.ly/ZwkDaC

Comment

Any chance Alex could start in goal on Friday? Remember last year game 1 at SCSU .... That would really throw them a curve ball.
                        Maine has two All-Americans (second team)
                        Ben Hutton - Defense
                        Devin Shore - Forward
                        I get a sense their Captain is a little bit cocksure
                        All the Sports Media in Bangor and Portland seem to be on hype overdrive ... great for tickets sales !!!! I guess we are going to get this wherever we go, especially if we keep on winning.
                        Score early and Score often Dutchmen .... Score early and Score Often.
                        Last year Maine was 13-3 at home
                        Two years ago they were 3-9-6 at home
                        Last edited by Dutchman; 10-18-2014, 06:58 AM.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Good point about Alex getting a start, I wouldn't rule it out.

Comment

Jooris on his NHL call-up: http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocen...45272&catid=11

Comment

Here's a great story from the Hamilton Spectactor on Jooris: http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...ng-to-the-nhl/

Comment

The ECAC non-Ivy (mostly D-III) schools carry the load while we wait for the rest of the Ivy to come on line. Good luck to all our fellow ECAC schools this weekend. In every match-up we are facing some the best of the rest of the other leagues.

ECAC vs WCHA

St. Lawrence vs Ferris State
                                St. Lawrence vs Ferris State

ECAC vs NCHC

RPI vs Denver
                                RPI vs Denver

ECAC vs HE

Colgate vs Northeastern
                                Colgate vs Northeastern

Clarkson vs Vermont
                                Clarkson vs Vermont

QU vs UML
                                QU vs UML

Union vs Maine
                                Union vs Maine
                                Last edited by Dutchman; 10-17-2014, 08:35 AM.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X