Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

It looks like Josh Jooris will not be on the opening day roster for Calgary so he will likely be starting the season in Glens Falls.

Comment

Two news bits from yesterday...

Lehigh Valley (AHL) sent Matt Hatch to Reading (ECHL).

Nolan Julseth-White was released from a tryout with Adirondack (AHL). He'll play with Ontario (ECHL) this season.

Comment

In the next two weeks we are going to know a lot about ourselves and the ECAC. There are 23 non-conference matchups between the 6 non-ivy members of the ECAC and 10 of them are against Hockey East teams. Against HE
        Union - 3 (NH, Maine)
        Q - 2 UML
        Colgate - 2 Northeastern
        Clarkson - 2 Vermont
        RPI - 1 ND
        The ECAC got off to a blistering start last year and ran into a rough patch in December but finished dead even with HE. It will be interesting to see how well we do this year. The better we do in non-conference play, the more likely a larger number of teams will make the NCAA playoffs.
        Last edited by Dutchman; 10-08-2014, 04:33 PM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
          Him and Assdad are two maggots
          Jesus loves you and so do I.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            In the next two weeks we are going to know a lot about ourselves and the ECAC. There are 23 non-conference matchups between the 6 non-ivy members of the ECAC and 9 of them are against Hockey East teams. Against HE
            Union - 3 (NH, Maine)
            Q - 2 UML
            Colgate - 2 Northeastern
            Clarkson - 2 Vermont
            The ECAC got off to a blistering start last year and ran into a rough patch in December but finished dead even with HE. It will be interesting to see how well we do this year. The better we do in non-conference play, the more likely a larger number of teams will make the NCAA playoffs.
            Forget that Notre Dame is in Hockey East?

Comment

Lots of great press coming from all over the country around the players pledge:
              #1. Union College hockey players pledge to help prevent rapes
              UNION HOCKEY PLAYERS PLEDGE TO HELP PREVENT RAPES
              http://auburnpub.com/ap/state/union-...da2d71318.html
              #2. Union hockey players pledge to help prevent rapes
              BY MICHAEL VIRTANEN
              Associated Press October 7, 2014
              http://www.bnd.com/2014/10/07/344247...#storylink=cpy
              #3. Union College Hockey Players Stand Up
              http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/featu...lt-20012.shtml
              #4. Union College Students Take "It's On Us" Pledge
              http://albany.twcnews.com/content/ne...on-us--pledge/
              #5. Union hockey team steps up to combat sexual assault
              http://www.dailygazette.com/news/201...ic-violence-s/

See you all Friday ....

#6. Banner season to be celebrated one last time
              http://www.union.edu/news/stories/20...e-last-time.ph
              http://www.union.edu/news/stories/20...-last-time.php
              Last edited by Dutchman; 10-09-2014, 04:16 AM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                Jesus loves you and so do I.
                Jesus doesnt love ugly and haterd. You are that and liar.

Comment

Can anyone attest to the quality of the video on the Union site? Saw the AD at the Chicago event on Monday, he said it is HD and the new lighting was put in especially for the video. Just wondering before I drop $80.

Also, if anyone is considering driving to South Bend, We definitely have 1 extra ticket. Possibly 3-4 extras total. I bought a block of 12 on the side that Union shoots twice, so far 1 person said they can't take off from work.

Comment

Originally posted by uniondutch21 View Post
                    Can anyone attest to the quality of the video on the Union site? Saw the AD at the Chicago event on Monday, he said it is HD and the new lighting was put in especially for the video. Just wondering before I drop $80.

Also, if anyone is considering driving to South Bend, We definitely have 1 extra ticket. Possibly 3-4 extras total. I bought a block of 12 on the side that Union shoots twice, so far 1 person said they can't take off from work.
                    There's a couple highlights on my YouTube channel from last Sunday's exhibition. That should give you a general idea of what it looks like. The new lights have definitely helped.

Comment

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/201..._editunioncol/ Thoughts????
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by uniondutch21 View Post
                        uniondutch21:

I can attest to the quality of the video, but only as compared to last year and only from the perspective of my setup. What I am experiencing may not be what you will experience since much depends on your network, graphics, memory, processor speed, browser, version of adobe flash and whether you are using wireless. So, I might see great improvement from last year but that only brings us to a level of what you might expect from a high school video setup. I am on the board of directors of my local cable TV station and I can tell you that it is about that level, which is not that bad and definitely worth the $80.00. Regardless, what you see or experience watching the live feed, which may depend on a great many things, the archive version is complete and appears to play back very well. That is another improvement over last year.

You will need Adobe Flash Player or be able to run HTML5. Easy to download
                        Firefox is the recommended browser but I run on Chrome just fine.
                        The streaming speed is 600-800 kbps (1-2 mbps) so you are going to want a direct cable connection or a high speed wireless connection that is not shared.
                        If you have a slow speed wireless connection the choppy video/audio may be due to the network and not the feed.

I have a new multi core DELL Desktop Server with solid state disks and a hardwired cable connection and ultra high speed graphics.

The big improvement I see is a result of the lighting. Shooting live action video in low light conditions, like old Achilles, or a friday night football game, requires a professional grade video camera with a very large CCD to capture the light. My guess is that we have probably not improved on the more "consumer grade" camera we were using. A modern professional grade camera is $5,000 to $30,000 and a pro-consumer is maybe $2,500 to $5,000. Not a whole lot of difference EXCEPT the professional grade camera has a much better bigger (area) lens and is capable of shooting in low light conditions. HD can mean 720 or 1080 or 1280 or 1440 or 1920 and progressive or interlaced. My guess is what I am seeing is 720. High-definition video is video of higher resolution and quality than standard-definition. While there is no standardized meaning for high-definition, generally any video image with more than 480 horizontal lines (North America) or 576 lines is considered HD. So we are using, my guess, the lowest end of HD. However, it probably would not help us to use a better camera since we may be bound by the bandwidth to the server where we send the video. In other words, if we had a better camera, we would have to dial it down to the lowest setting anyway.

Common high-definition video modes[edit]
                        Video mode Frame size in pixels (W×H) Pixels per image1 Scanning type Frame rate (Hz)
                        720p 1,280×720 921,600 Progressive 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60, 72
                        1080i 1,920×1,080 2,073,600 Interlaced 25 (50 fields/s), 29.97 (59.94 fields/s), 30 (60 fields/s)
                        1080p 1,920×1,080 2,073,600 Progressive 24 (23.976), 25, 30 (29.97), 50, 60 (59.94)
                        1440p 2,560×1,440 3,686,400 Progressive 24 (23.976), 25, 30 (29.97), 50, 60 (59.94)

The camera feed is going to go to a sever somewhere (Atlanta, I think) and therefore it does not advantage us to use a higher speed, higher resolution camera if the leased lines we use going to the server are only capable of streaming at a fixed speed.

Compared to last year. I am very pleased with the improvement. The live audio was very spotty but the archive version sounds fine so for the $80.00 you can go back and see past games which is nice. Also, the archive was available right after the game which was an improvement over last year as well.

Hope this helps
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Guess its time for myself, Nick P and a few others to head over to the RPI thread and start setting the record straight. A lot of misinformation over there and some nice details on two of their players that needs to be pointed out. One in particular has a little incident that happened over the summer that needs to be discussed in detail.

Comment

I am conflicted by wanting to know and having the right to know. There is a rapidly shrinking modicum of a right to privacy in today's world. When a team forms and is provided with and its members agree to abide by clearly stated rules, then when those rules are violated, discipline rightly ensues. Do we the public have the right to demand the details of the transgressions and the transgressors?

I think not. A team is in many ways a family, interdependent and with responsibility to those within that family. Do we have a right to know what goes on within that family unit? Would we want to share every detail of our families with strangers and outsiders?

So long as no laws were broken and no one harmed or injured which I can only assume is the case, then I think we need to let it lie there and allow this "family" to sort through this privately and confidentially.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                              I am conflicted by wanting to know and having the right to know. There is a rapidly shrinking modicum of a right to privacy in today's world. When a team forms and is provided with and its members agree to abide by clearly stated rules, then when those rules are violated, discipline rightly ensues. Do we the public have the right to demand the details of the transgressions and the transgressors?

I think not. A team is in many ways a family, interdependent and with responsibility to those within that family. Do we have a right to know what goes on within that family unit? Would we want to share every detail of our families with strangers and outsiders?

So long as no laws were broken and no one harmed or injured which I can only assume is the case, then I think we need to let it lie there and allow this "family" to sort through this privately and confidentially.
                              100% foolish to think anyone has a right to know. Student athletes are just that, student athletes. They should be given the same respect and privacy rights any student does.
                              The school by law is not allowed to disclose the nature of any discipline. If I was one of the three players parents, and it was disclosed, I would be very upset. I can only assume the athletic department has enough dignity to honor their rights to privacy.

Comment

Nothing wrong with citing a violation of team rules. I've even seen the professional leagues declare as such when something happens. They're suspended, and you know why the suspension was handed down. That's all that's necessary. Does it matter which rule was violated? Not really. The closest you might get is what the team rules are, but if the league doesn't give out their rules, I wouldn't expect the school to give out theirs. Sure, you could make inferences based upon the length of suspension with respect to upcoming opponents, but what's done is done.

Comment

Working...
                                X