Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

I'm closing in on finishing Skyrim (I think I'm at level 87). Just want to get my last spell class to level 100 so I can get the bonus at the end. Need to milk this and NHL 18 long enough to keep me entertained until Secret of Mana comes out in a few weeks.
    St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Final Fantasy 12: Zodiac Age coming to PC on the 1st of February
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

The 5.51 second world record run of Atari 2600 Dragster, which was acknowledged for 35 years and believed impossible by speedrunners, has been disqualified.

https://kotaku.com/infamous-atari-pl...&ICID=ref_fark
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
          The 5.51 second world record run of Atari 2600 Dragster, which was acknowledged for 35 years and believed impossible by speedrunners, has been disqualified.

https://kotaku.com/infamous-atari-pl...&ICID=ref_fark
          It doesn't sound like the guy was cheating, though. Knowing zero about this, is it possible that whatever timing methodology was used simply glitched the run time? It's 6 one-hundredths of a second FFS. Was that an eternity in gaming timing in 1982? (I know, I'm sure it's f-cking nanoseconds today.)
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            It doesn't sound like the guy was cheating, though. Knowing zero about this, is it possible that whatever timing methodology was used simply glitched the run time? It's 6 one-hundredths of a second FFS. Was that an eternity in gaming timing in 1982? (I know, I'm sure it's f-cking nanoseconds today.)
            The guy submitted a Polaroid of his 5.51 to Activision. They flew the guy out to recreate it for them, and whatever he did Activision must have found legitimate because they gave him credit in their magazines. (The developers themselves claim they were able to turn in a 5.54 during testing.)

Modern speedrunners can dissect the RAM, ROM, and output of the game frame by frame and manipulate their inputs to be absolutely perfect down to a single frame of animation (it's called a Tool Assisted Speedrun or TAS.) They have only been able to turn in a 5.57 playing as "perfectly" as the game can be played. No one knows how the 5.51 happened (system glitch, crappy Polaroid, "lifting" the cartridge to partially unseat the chip and mess up the program, etc. are all possibilities, plus the guy has a history of submitting questionable records.)

Furthermore, the developers admitted that the clock can only advance by .03 of a second per frame, so the speedrunning community's 5.57, Activision's claimed 5.54, and this guy's claimed 5.51 are all possible outputs on the clock. A 5.52 could be dismissed right away as impossible. (ETA: apparently there's video of a 5.61, so this theory has holes in it.)
            Last edited by Twitch Boy; 01-29-2018, 10:32 PM.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Nice to see a North Country business selling stuff

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/n...&template=mwdt
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

SNES Classic..........get one if you can?????
                2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Huh? They’ve been out for about six or seven months now
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Huh? They’ve been out for about six or seven months now
                    Yes.......but see some at my local TRU. (have never seen them available on Amazon except 3rd party overpriced resaler)
                    Last edited by UCBadger; 02-17-2018, 10:01 PM.
                    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                    2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

Nintendo produced many more SNES classics than they did NES classics due to the demand. Resale prices were much lower over Christmas.

I know I see emails still from NowInStock for SNES being restocked.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Ok....I will rephrase my question. It is worth $80? (Will I get $80 worth of fun......?)
                        2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

Yeah. I got $80 worth of entertainment. Still enjoying it.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 Plus launches for Switch Wednesday. Don't mind if I do.

Comment

Games i've been playing recently...

Bayonetta 1 & 2
                              A Golf Story
                              Kingdom Come Deliverance
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Steam started a Square Enix sale, so i picked up NieR: Automata. Dang is that good!

Also grabbed World of Final Fantasy for cheap.

Separately pre-ordered FF XV for pc.
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X