UAH Hockey 2014-15: The 30th Varsity Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey 2014-15: The 30th Varsity Season

What about the flyers (thinking Alaska teams here. I do not know if anybody else flies into town)?

cpp

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
      2) Coach Corbett mentioned the penalties and turnovers after Saturday's game. While they played better overall Saturday, it was still killer.
      I can live with penalties. A player should learn and adjust to avoid the bad penalties but not be afraid of taking a good penalty (sometimes that hook on the breakaway is justified at the moment).

What worries me is the extended time spent trying to get the puck out of the defensive zone in a 5v5. Then, often enough, when they do get it out of the zone it just gets turned over at center ice. To be sure, the Chargers did have a few nice rushes down ice.

cpp

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerPowerPlay View Post
        What about the flyers (thinking Alaska teams here. I do not know if anybody else flies into town)?
        There aren't any flights out of HSV at that time of night, and BNA and ATL aren't exactly hopping before 0500. Maybe they do a post-game dinner and drive out.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          There aren't any flights out of HSV at that time of night, and BNA and ATL aren't exactly hopping before 0500. Maybe they do a post-game dinner and drive out.

GFM
          First time I ever flew into Huntsville, many years ago, I left from Kalamazoo with plane changes in Chicago and Atlanta. My luggage wound up getting to Huntsville on a later flight (the same evening) than the one I was on; with that many stops, not surprising. Anyway, there were two people at the luggage area in Huntsville where I had to fill out the missing luggage paperwork. Both were pretty young, the girl was younger than the guy. She asked me where my flight originated and I told her Kalamazoo. She asked me (seriously) if I went through Customs. The guy started laughing. True story.

Comment

Nice story, Bill! That's awesome.

The boys fly out first thing in the morning to go to Mankato. I only know this because WAFF's Nick Lough contacted me today about doing a story on long-time UAH hockey supporters keeping the program alive through the dark years. He wants to interview me (that's fine, done it before), but he'd like one other person as well, preferably someone who's been around a decade or more. I thought about Douglas (and may still call him tomorrow), but is there anyone else that we should talk to? I'd love for him to get Betty Schonrock on camera, but something tells me that she just wouldn't go for it.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Kalamazoo... Customs?... Makes one wonder if they still teach geography, huh?
              ...or if anyone pays attention?

Geof - Joyce and I are available if needed. Been around the team since Jan 1980.
              Doug
              UAH 1974
              Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
              Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
              Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
              Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
              Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Linechart for tonights game:
                http://www.uahchargers.com/documents...MSU_FRIDAY.pdf

Comment

Douglas — I'll let Nick know.

Looks like Corbs is going to try to see what works. I'm also guessing that travel teams reward who's putting out effort. I'll also guess that Struky is still out of the lineup for the weekend. Best guesses on the travel team are Brears, White, and one of the rental freshmen, whichever busted the most butt in practice this week.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Just another fabulous night by Carmine paired with an ugh effort by the rest of the team. Reinhardt is out tonight with White in, so I'm guessing that Ben may have gotten nicked up. That would be awful for us with Strukoff already out, since it takes us to zero depth and has us relying on three freshmen and, well, the enigmatic Mr. White. This may mean that Carlson racks up 28:00 tonight. I felt pretty good watching the boys carry the best team in the conference scoreless through two, but I think that it'll be hard to repeat that tonight, even if Larose is on top of his game.

Go Chargers!

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Another night where the team held serve for the first two periods before wilting in the third. It's a testament to their conditioning that they kept up the pressure on Mankato all of that time given how much faster the Mavs are, and they did a better job limiting shot opportunities while holding the puck in for longer. Anyone who wants to start the "Carmine is better than Rosie" drumbeat didn't watch 30 get scored on by two point-blank chances from skaters with no Charger near them.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Another night where the team held serve for the first two periods before wilting in the third. It's a testament to their conditioning that they kept up the pressure on Mankato all of that time given how much faster the Mavs are, and they did a better job limiting shot opportunities while holding the puck in for longer. Anyone who wants to start the "Carmine is better than Rosie" drumbeat didn't watch 30 get scored on by two point-blank chances from skaters with no Charger near them.

GFM
                        All that. Both Carmine and Matt were fabulous. Minnesota State is fabulous. The upside is we didn't get double-bageled in Mankato like last season.
                        Michael Napier - UAH '97
                        uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                        U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                        NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                        CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                        CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

We've gotta get some offense from up front. #CaptainObvious
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

We've gotta get some offense from up front. #CaptainObvious
                            I'm guessing a lot more practice time has been spent on defensive responsibilities than offensive attack. Your forwards looked comfortable on D, and did a great job there for the most part, but a lot of offsides and uncertainty what to do once they got the puck. Unfortunately, the near-term schedule doesn't do you any favors, with a lot of road trips and some quality opponents, but if you can average 2.5 goals a game for the rest of the year, those goalies will get you your fair share of wins.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                              I'm guessing a lot more practice time has been spent on defensive responsibilities than offensive attack. Your forwards looked comfortable on D, and did a great job there for the most part, but a lot of offsides and uncertainty what to do once they got the puck. Unfortunately, the near-term schedule doesn't do you any favors, with a lot of road trips and some quality opponents, but if you can average 2.5 goals a game for the rest of the year, those goalies will get you your fair share of wins.
                              Well, I think that we have two things at play here: 1) we don't have goal-scorers up front (though McHugh and Kestner could be promising) and 2) we lost three kids that should've gotten eligible but didn't. That really hurts the depth, especially up front, because there's really only one spare forward on any given night. A lack of competition hurts, I think.

I do think that our talent set means that we have to play back, but we've upgraded, and I just don't want another season of feeling like I should be cheering us getting the puck deep so we can change lines.

If you haven't seen it, Justin Cseter was seriously injured in a game for the Havoc last night. Details are a little sketchy, but it sounds like a compound leg fracture and a severe cut to a leg muscle that thankfully missed an artery. Get well, 26.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

It was a BAD cut.
                                http://www.pjstar.com/article/20141025/SPORTS/141029376

Comment

Working...
                                X