Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston Frozen Four tickets

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Questions for you: Is there widespread excitement in NE about the 2015 FF? Do you have hockey buddies who are talking about getting back in, after years of being away? Or is any real buzz limited to hardcore college hockey fans?
    It's college hockey, it's not going to generate buzz outside of hardcore hockey fans until we know the 4 teams playing in the Thursday semis.

I do know a teammate of mine is already planning on attending. He is younger and never got a chance to go to the Boston ones or Providence previously and doesn't travel to FFs, so he'll be going for sure as a local this time around.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      It's college hockey, it's not going to generate buzz outside of hardcore hockey fans until we know the 4 teams playing in the Thursday semis.

I do know a teammate of mine is already planning on attending. He is younger and never got a chance to go to the Boston ones or Providence previously and doesn't travel to FFs, so he'll be going for sure as a local this time around.
      Both good points. And yet your comments, as a pair, illustrate why it's hard to get an accurate read on this year's demand. Put your finger on the pulse, and yes: It feels like many are taking a wait and see attitude. And yet in the very next sentence, you identify a new ticket buyer who's "going for sure."

Do I think that 2015 is going to be like 2004, when half of the lottery applicants got shut out? No, I do not. But when we add up the regulars, the no-longer-dormant priority holders from NE, the larger orders (gscott13) and the new buyers like your teammate... Well, I can easily see the public allotment being gone at the end of the selection process in November.

"Buzz" was probably too strong a word. But at this point, I'm standing by my advice. For those with even one priority point, lock in your Boston seats during the lottery. For newcomers, jump in as the sale opens up to you.

Now be all that as it may, all of us will want to keep our brains engaged throughout the process. If we get down to Priority 1 and half of the public allotment is still available, then discard the advice. In that case, it would be an easy ticket next April. Don't expect that result, but it's not an impossibility.

Comment

So if I'm at priority level 1, I'm not guaranteed tickets, but it's likely I'll be able to purchase them?
        Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
          So if I'm at priority level 1, I'm not guaranteed tickets, but it's likely I'll be able to purchase them?
          You'll ALWAYS find tickets. It's just a matter of price. And that will be due to teams that are there. If you get, say, MI/MN/BC/Union...have fun spending a ton of money.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Well, the BU vs. Maine Title Game @ Providence (1995) came pretty close to no tickets available at any price. But even then a few tickets changed hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              You'll ALWAYS find tickets. It's just a matter of price. And that will be due to teams that are there. If you get, say, MI/MN/BC/Union...have fun spending a ton of money.
              haha, fantastic! thank you.
              Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Of course, there’s a self-fulfilling prophesy aspect to this. If enough people think that tickets will be scarce, then they’ll buy tickets and … lo and behold, tickets will be scarce, at least for the initial sale.

Yet another factor is that the presence of a lot of schools and fans of different teams near Boston makes one of the inconveniences of reselling tickets – transferring money and physically getting the ticket from seller to buyer on short notice – not as much of a problem; there’s a high probability that many of the sellers and buyers will both be local, and exchange can be face to face.

And of course there’s the factor of the face value of the ticket. Higher prices mean greater risk if you have to eat the ticket, but it also probably increases the expected sale price if tickets are in high demand.

Ah yes, the ticket resale market. Economics 101 in one of its purest forms.
                Last edited by CLS; 09-06-2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

All true and well put.

Comment

Priority 18's select tomorrow morning September 26th. Let us know where the seats to select from are located this time. Will be interesting to see if Boston opened up better selections for this process than they did last time.

Comment

Early Returns From The Lottery...

A friend who prefers not to post sent me some early observations via e-mail. Here's an edited version of his remarks. The editing deletes any identifying information. Also, I've taken the liberty of packaging his comments as a numbered list. Obviously "Priority 18" is not a real screen name.

Originally posted by Priority 18
                      1. Boston continues to be the worst selection for priority holders as in the past...I think a lot of PSL holders in the TD Garden opt in for tickets thus reducing the amount of "preferred" seats for priority ticket buyers, but I may be wrong...

2. This year it appears that the first four rows (of the balcony) are blocked.. I checked 5 or 6 sections around Center Ice.

3. The Lower Level has Corners and Behind The Net. Checked one Corner section and it was the top 5 or 6 rows that were available. Checked one section Behind The Net and it was Row 4.

4. Section 12 apparently has singles but no pairs.
                      Sincere thanks to Priority 18 for this helpful info. As a Priority 17, my turns comes up Monday. I'll add my thoughts to the mix after completing the purchase.

Comment

Interesting. And disappointing. Although not surprising I suppose.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Not surprised. Last time with lottery assigned tickets I was in balcony as what us now a 17.
                          Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

So based on very early returns it looks like there will be no good seats for anyone. Nice.
                            Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

As nice as it is to have the FF in Boston, the city may be pressing its luck to have it return again any time soon, if the perceived snubbing of long time ticket holders is true. The Garden is adequate size wise for most NCAA cities but perhaps is too small for an NCAA hockey hotbed like Boston. As mentioned, there are more people here claiming their rights to seats than in most other venues. With the construction from the last time the FF was in Boston long gone fans will have a much better overall experience but the demand for good seats may be the backbreaker for future bid awards.

Comment

Garden held back seats last time. Why did anyone think they'd change course this time around?
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X