Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Political Stance - 2014 Edition

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    The open ended questions such as: If an unwed teen becomes pregnant, abortion may be a responsible choice. bothered me. "May" in this instance, is so wide-open that it could greatly skew the leanings. Date rape? One night of fun? Incest? Consensual? It focuses on age, rather than act.
    Well, yeah, they're making the questions as open-ended as possible so that you take time and then they hope you side with them. The questions are framed in a way to get you going in a certain direction (theirs), but general enough for people to take a moment for internal debate - if you have any - on that question. It's meant to drive votes to their candidates come election day, so they create a questionnaire with questions that lead you more towards their conclusion than you might have otherwise. Political parties are all the same, regardless of their platform, they all want your votes.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

My Political Views
      I am a centrist moderate social libertarian
      Right: 0.02, Libertarian: 2.61

Political Spectrum Quiz
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Well, yeah, they're making the questions as open-ended as possible so that you take time and then they hope you side with them. The questions are framed in a way to get you going in a certain direction (theirs), but general enough for people to take a moment for internal debate - if you have any - on that question. It's meant to drive votes to their candidates come election day, so they create a questionnaire with questions that lead you more towards their conclusion than you might have otherwise. Political parties are all the same, regardless of their platform, they all want your votes.
        Well, duh. The contrast in open-ness struck me, when hit with the question I brought up. Some are very specific, some are wayyyyyyy open. I'll just vote to cause chaos, and leave it at that. F all politicians.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Political parties are all the same, regardless of their platform, they all want your votes.
          and your money.

That's one reason so few issues ever get "decided." If you keep an issue "open" then they can keep coming back to you over and over again for more contributions.

IMHO, that's the single most important reason why the tax code is always so complicated.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I'm a right moderate social libertarian.

mostly correct talkative freedom lover.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Based upon posting history either the poll isn't very accurate, some of you aren't answering the questions honestly, or you misrepresent your true views in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                You are a left moderate social authoritarian.
                Left: 4.8, Authoritarian: 1.27

Foreign Policy:

On the left side are pacifists and anti-war activists. On the right side are those who want a strong military that intervenes around the world. You scored: -0.33

Culture:

Where are you in the culture war? On the liberal side, or the conservative side? This scale may apply more to the US than other countries. You scored: -0.93
                Moderate? Yup, this thing pegs you perfectly.
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I'd like to see Bob and OP's scores.

Comment

My Political Views
                    I am a centrist moderate social libertarian
                    Right: 0.77, Libertarian: 2.46

Political Spectrum Quiz

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                      Moderate? Yup, this thing pegs you perfectly.
                      There are two scores. He is moderate in terms of Authoritarian/Libertarian. Same as me. We're both very much left on the liberal/conservative scale

Neither Bob or OP took the test in 2012...will they take it now?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        There are two scores. He is moderate in terms of Authoritarian/Libertarian. Same as me. We're both very much left on the liberal/conservative scale

Neither Bob or OP took the test in 2012...will they take it now?
                        Sure. Some of the questions were poorly worded.

Centrist social moderate.
                        Left: 0.59
                        Authoritarian 0.96
                        Foreign policy: -0.96
                        Culture: 2.8

So, slightly non-interventionist and somewhat socially conservative. Sounds about right.

Edit: Missed the other two scores.
                        Last edited by Bob Gray; 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM.
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                          You are a centrist social moderate.
                          Right: 0.76, Libertarian: 0.94
                          Foreign Policy: 0.2 Culture: -0.78

Makes me a Fascist around here
                          Not really. The average score last time was
                          Right: -0.47 Libertarian: -2.36
                          Foreign Policy: -2.29 Culture: -2.91

Your score would make you the 17th most conservative poster (out of 47) on the board in 2012.
                          Last edited by Priceless; 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM.

Comment

My Political Views
                            I am a left moderate social libertarian
                            Left: 6.64, Libertarian: 2.29

Political Spectrum Quiz

Foreign Policy:

On the left side are pacifists and anti-war activists. On the right side are those who want a strong military that intervenes around the world. You scored: -6.11

Culture:

Where are you in the culture war? On the liberal side, or the conservative side? This scale may apply more to the US than other countries. You scored: -5.59
                            Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 06-10-2014, 12:01 PM.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              Based upon posting history either the poll isn't very accurate, some of you aren't answering the questions honestly, or you misrepresent your true views in this forum.
                              or, some of the things we discuss on these forum aren't covered by the poll at all!

For example, I believe that people are basically motivated by self-interest. That's not a good thing nor a bad thing, it's merely how things are. It's sort of like saying most people eat food several times a day, it's merely human nature.

However, it also means, that when you have governments staffed by people, then those people will primarily be motivated by their self-interest first, and the public interest second (if very much at all). I'd then point to the VA situation and offer it as empirical data to validate this point of view.

There wasn't a single question on the poll that asked how much do you trust government to do the right thing. If there were, then many people who post here would have high + scores on that question, while I would have a significant - score on that question.

Also, I wonder about the way the poll scores the data we do enter. Many people who are reporting high scores for being libertarian also appear to have a high level of trust in government. I'd find that hard to reconcile if the poll were being scored in a consistent manner.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Also, some of us have various views on things that aren't generally discussed around here, so our perception of each other is only formed on the smaller subset of issues that get the attention around here.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X