X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of North Dakota 2014 Off-Season

Originally posted by Goon View Post
    Anyone seen this kid play before?
    I'm sure some Gopher fans have. Maybe you should ask there.
    "My greatest achievement."
    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

It looks like Ryan Mantha isn't a real committed commit:

https://***********/mikemorrealeNHL
      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
        It looks like Ryan Mantha isn't a real committed commit:

https://***********/mikemorrealeNHL
        I saw that, and some of the comments on Brad's blog speculating that Ryan is disappointed he's not coming to UND this fall. I would like to see a video of the entire conversation in which this comment was made. We have to remember that these kids are at the NHL combine right now. They are trying to do and say "the right thing" in order to impress and raise their draft stock. If I'm a kid in that position, I'm probably also going to say that I'll do whatever the team that drafts me tells me they want me to do.

Sure, you'd like a kid to respond that his mind is made up, and he doesn't care what is said by his NHL drafting club, he's still going to "X". But I don't know that the comment demonstrates a shift in attitude of Ryan towards UND. If anything it just reveals that he really wants to play in the NHL and he'll basically do whatever the NHL squad tells him to do. He probably had that same attitude back when he committed to UND.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

That's the real problem here, that the NHL is still full of these freaking moron GM's and other front office twits who think college hockey is worthless and Canadian juniors is vastly superior. Nevermind guys like Parise, Toews, Vanek, Gionta, Miller, St. Louis,. College hockey doesn't develop players.
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

But you guys have more homegrown talent than we have! Aren't all of those kids growing up with green and black in their blood? Why do you keep running into these issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
              But you guys have more homegrown talent than we have! Aren't all of those kids growing up with green and black in their blood? Why do you keep running into these issues?
              Ryan Mantha isn't homegrown. This has never occurred with any of UND's exceptional homegrown talent.
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                Ryan Mantha isn't homegrown. This has never occurred with any of UND's exceptional homegrown talent.
                I know that but it's almost like not enough of the roster is homegrown! It's weird the non homegrown talent that grows up in MN dreaming of being Gophers shows up on campus so often!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  I know that but it's almost like not enough of the roster is homegrown! It's weird the non homegrown talent that grows up in MN dreaming of being Gophers shows up on campus so often!
                  I agree, it is weird that non homegrown talent would dream of playing for the Gophers. One of life's mysteries I suppose.
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    I saw that, and some of the comments on Brad's blog speculating that Ryan is disappointed he's not coming to UND this fall. I would like to see a video of the entire conversation in which this comment was made. We have to remember that these kids are at the NHL combine right now. They are trying to do and say "the right thing" in order to impress and raise their draft stock. If I'm a kid in that position, I'm probably also going to say that I'll do whatever the team that drafts me tells me they want me to do.

Sure, you'd like a kid to respond that his mind is made up, and he doesn't care what is said by his NHL drafting club, he's still going to "X". But I don't know that the comment demonstrates a shift in attitude of Ryan towards UND. If anything it just reveals that he really wants to play in the NHL and he'll basically do whatever the NHL squad tells him to do. He probably had that same attitude back when he committed to UND.
                    I guess if you're looking at a 5th round pick, you look for something to move yourself up. How can the comment not demonstrate a shift in attitude? To me it says he will say goodbye to UND with no regard to a commitment that he made. Not much of a commitment.

Comment

I guess if you're looking at a 5th round pick, you look for something to move yourself up. How can the comment not demonstrate a shift in attitude? To me it says he will say goodbye to UND with no regard to a commitment that he made. Not much of a commitment.
                      I guess that just from the comment you can't actually say it's a shift in attitude, and therefore, purely speculative to say so.

Do we know what his attitude was at the time of his commitment with respect to doing what his NHL masters tell him to do? I don't. I've never seen any quotes from him during that time frame to the effect that he's coming to UND no matter what anyone promises or tells him to do.

All I'm saying is that he sounds like a kid who, right or wrong, thinks it's best that he do whatever he is told by the NHL team that drafts him. I doubt that's something he just developed as a result of anything UND did or did not do. I bet if Brad had asked Ryan at the time of his commitment, "what will you do if the NHL team that drafts you tells you to play in the Canadian Juniors?" you'd have probably gotten some sort of squishy response.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        I guess that just from the comment you can't actually say it's a shift in attitude, and therefore, purely speculative to say so.

Do we know what his attitude was at the time of his commitment with respect to doing what his NHL masters tell him to do? I don't. I've never seen any quotes from him during that time frame to the effect that he's coming to UND no matter what anyone promises or tells him to do.

All I'm saying is that he sounds like a kid who, right or wrong, thinks it's best that he do whatever he is told by the NHL team that drafts him. I doubt that's something he just developed as a result of anything UND did or did not do. I bet if Brad had asked Ryan at the time of his commitment, "what will you do if the NHL team that drafts you tells you to play in the Canadian Juniors?" you'd have probably gotten some sort of squishy response.
                        Yes, I am speculating. I would also speculate that when he was talking to the coaches about committing to UND, he didn't say"I'll be there - unless something better comes along." If the commitment from UND was initially to bring him in this fall, and then told him that they decided to wait until next year, then I wouldn't have a problem with him going a different route. I have no idea if that is the case - hasn't he always been listed as '15-'16?

Comment

Speaking of commits:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/cont...chl-de-commits

Comment

There's been a lot of decommits as of late.
                            Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                            Eric's Twitter
                            The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Mantha's good as gone... A source saying he was concerned with NoDak's blue-line depth and his subsequent playing time. This kid is trying fast track his way to the pros but is scared of being shown up in the college game. Glad this kid was outed... we need hard working kids, not ones that are trying to take the easy way out. Wish we would have found out this info on Tambeweeni this early in the process...
                              Last edited by willythekid; 06-02-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                                Mantha's good as gone... A source saying he was concerned with NoDak's blue-line depth and his subsequent playing time. This kid is trying fast track his way to the pros but is scared of being shown up in the college game. Glad this kid was outed... we need hard working kids, not ones that are trying to take the easy way out. Wish we would have found out this info on Tambeweeni this early in the process...
                                Wow. Lot of animosity towards these kids.

Every player, no matter how good he is, takes a look at the depth ahead of him when he is about to join a new team. No matter what the sport. I don't care how good a defenseman he turns out to be. The UND defense this year and next will be tough to crack, especially in terms of quality playing time.

If anything it possibly shows a miscalculation on the part of the coaching staff as to how long certain kids would stay, and maybe even more so, how well the three young defensemen last year played. Add to that the addition of the Poolman kid who had a great year in the USHL, tough for an 18 year old to see where he fits into the big picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X