Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

“@LetsPlay_Hockey: Max Coatta (Mtka), Hunter Miska (Stacy), Jack Ramsey (Chan) & Matt Serratore (Bemidji) will return to Penticton/BCHL for the 2014-15 season.”
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      “@LetsPlay_Hockey: Max Coatta (Mtka), Hunter Miska (Stacy), Jack Ramsey (Chan) & Matt Serratore (Bemidji) will return to Penticton/BCHL for the 2014-15 season.”
      Could be a sign that Rau has decided to come back...
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Gophers add forward Robin Höglund (shoots L, 6'3", 205) and goaltender Nick Lehr to the 2014-15 roster. With Ramsey going back to juniors, the Gophers are currently stacked IF everyone returns: 15 forwards, 8 D, 3 goalies (last season they carried 15F, 7D, 3G).

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Could be a sign that Rau has decided to come back...
          I don't take it as meaning anything. Just the current plan.

Comment

This isn't breaking news about Gopher hockey, but thought I'd brag a bit and say that tDon is coming to my wedding. Thought ya'll might appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShotFromThePoint View Post
              This isn't breaking news about Gopher hockey, but thought I'd brag a bit and say that tDon is coming to my wedding. Thought ya'll might appreciate that.
              Congrats! Suddenly the getting married part's not all that important.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                You know I've been thinking a bit more about this. I hear what your saying about Rau's intensity.

But frankly perhaps there is a greater concern. Rau has been captain and has the potential to be the leader in the locker room. And with him apparently taking so long to make up his mind...he starts to give the appearance that he's not quite so committed and that has the potential of carrying over to the locker room if he does return. In other words, players starting to wonder whether our 14/15 captain is so committed.

This may seem a stretch...but I don't think it is any moreso than him having a less than stellar next year on ice and locker room chemistry is a fickle thing.
                You gotta be one of the "sky is falling" guys when the Gophs have one mediocre game if you can stretch it this far. I still say Rau is not wired to take it easy. He is just an intense competitor. Period. If everyone returns from this point on, the team is loaded with talent. They saw in the NC last year that you might get one shot to give all your effort and play the best game you can, or you will lose. All those players will remember that. Even in the alternate universe where Rau's genes change and he is a little less competitive: 1. Everyone from last year will know they have to compete, and 2. the captain only sets the tone to a certain level. In other words, in some ways, losing in the NC knowing your effort cost you, adds incentive that reduces the importance of a captain to motivate. And they had very good chemistry last year. Chemistry problems seem to be driven by personalities that can't get along so don't want to win for each other or play as a team. I don't see them all suddenly not getting along,

Regardless of all this, it is a business and everyone knows this. His returning could also have the effect that it is clear he is returning because he wants a shot at an NC and is willing to put off a big paycheck to do it, just like the other returnees. And if he is really well liked, as he appears to be, there might be an added incentive for the younger guys to win one for Rau and the others in addition to their own incentive.

Overall, I can't see a scenario where's Rau returning is a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  You gotta be one of the "sky is falling" guys when the Gophs have one mediocre game if you can stretch it this far. I still say Rau is not wired to take it easy. He is just an intense competitor. Period. If everyone returns from this point on, the team is loaded with talent. They saw in the NC last year that you might get one shot to give all your effort and play the best game you can, or you will lose. All those players will remember that. Even in the alternate universe where Rau's genes change and he is a little less competitive: 1. Everyone from last year will know they have to compete, and 2. the captain only sets the tone to a certain level. In other words, in some ways, losing in the NC knowing your effort cost you, adds incentive that reduces the importance of a captain to motivate. And they had very good chemistry last year. Chemistry problems seem to be driven by personalities that can't get along so don't want to win for each other or play as a team. I don't see them all suddenly not getting along,

Regardless of all this, it is a business and everyone knows this. His returning could also have the effect that it is clear he is returning because he wants a shot at an NC and is willing to put off a big paycheck to do it, just like the other returnees. And if he is really well liked, as he appears to be, there might be an added incentive for the younger guys to win one for Rau and the others in addition to their own incentive.

Agreed. If he comes back, it's for a reason. And if he doesn't, it's for a different reason. Either way, you know he'll be committed all the way to whatever choice he makes.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    You can't be serious. Can he be serious?
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Agreed. If he comes back, it's for a reason. And if he doesn't, it's for a different reason.
                      Classic Brent style profundity at its finest.

Comment

NHL draft starts this Friday (June 27-28). Gopher recruits who will wear the "M" next season and are eligible for the draft are Leon Bristedt, Jack Glover and Ryan Collins.

Leon Bristedt is an outstanding center with an excellent shot, good speed and given the situation has the ability to play with finesse or grit. Plays a two-way game and despite his small stature (5'9", 178) plays strong down low.

Leon Bristedt: The pint-sized puck wizard will be in North America next season after committing to attend the University of Minnesota. Bristedt is an excellent stickhandler with a high level of creativity and good hands. He is also an elusive skater. At the J20 level this year, Bristedt tore up his SuperElit competition for 60 points in 42 games. A severe lack of size (Bristedt stands just 5-foot-8) may limit his upside. He turned 19 in March. Bristedt was ranked 24th on Central Scouting's final list.
                        Jack Glover

Defense — shoots Right
                        Born May 17 1996 — Golden Valley, MN
                        Height 6' 3" — Weight 190

Jack Glover is a solid two-way defense prospect. His skating is good, especially in terms of straight line speed, and acceleration where he is well above average both forwards and backwards. His edge work, pivots, cuts and agility don’t reach the same level though, as they can use some work to be more fluid. They are still above average. He is strong on his skates and has good balance helping him in board battles and to be strong on the puck in general.

Jack Glover has a very high hockey IQ. He is always making the smart play with the puck on his stick. It is easy to see that he has offensive potential, as he is a very good passer, able to make a good outlet pass, and uses great vision and creativity to really quarterback the play from the blueline on the powerplay. Glover has a good wrist shot and good release, and uses it to make sure he gets his shot on net and create rebound and tip-in opportunities for teammates. He doesn’t have a huge slapshot though and that is the reason he doesn’t seem to produce the huge goal totals.Glover has good size and plays the defensive game with a somewhat physical edge. He is willing to really battle hard in the corners and in front of his own net. He has very good gap control, and can change directions quickly to lay a big hit. However, he seems to make these big hits few and far between, preferring to stay and play strong positionally instead of looking to get out of position. Glover is extremely smart as he reads the play well anticipating passes and causing turnovers.
                        Ryan Collins

2014 GOPHER HOCKEY NHL DRAFT GUIDE

Comment

Another Swede commits to the Gophers: William Fällström.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                            Tack Sverige! Nu skickar över Malin Åkerman skulle vara bra.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                              My head hurts after reading some of the comments on that article.
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                                My head hurts after reading some of the comments on that article.
                                If you're not from MN, you'll have to prove you belong here to get the support of the old school folks. That doesn't take long for those that stick. All the talk before they get on campus (including a bunch by me) means nothing. For the record, I didn't leave any of those comments lol.

Heck, the two recruits I'm currently questioning most are MN kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X