Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: As a Defenseman "I can't get any respect"

Originally posted by Call It View Post
    The title is RESPECT not Awards. However the awards don't go to the D-man thus a lack of respect exists. Bobby Knight used to get so made at ESPN for always showing dunks. He said dunks mean nothing in the game, it started with 5 guys working together. A goal is usually a natural finish to a 5 man unit work together. Does the 1st pass have less value than the player who taps in a puck for the goal? Everyone has their own $0.02 on this. Remember when you lost (even with the much better Forwards) because your D-man couldn't get you out of the zone, the value might be greater than one might think. Especially if you have bad D.

Sorry but the OP uses awards to justify respect. If that is the criteria, then you know what other team is not successful? One that has a group of D...or sometimes even just 1 D...who is concerned with winning awards as a means to justify that they are respected.

You know who is successful? A team where the defensemen are appreciated in the locker room and where they play with a chip on their shoulder because other people may not recognize their contribution. Who cares about awards? Who cares if someone on another team or in another city or cheering for another school doesn't respect them and outwardly shower them with praise? If the people in their room do, that is ALL that matters.

Comment

As the parent of a stay-at-home defenseman, I understand the frustration, both for the player and the parents. So …

In MY perfect world, there would be separate conference and national awards for forwards, defensemen, and goalies. They all play a very different, distinct and important role on the team, and players should be compared to their peers playing the same position. Also in MY perfect world, film of all games at all college levels would be reviewed and stats corrected and posted after each game, including goals, assists, plus/minus, shots on goal, and blocked shots. I too often see where stats are incorrect, which impacts how a player looks on paper. And, let’s face it, if we want to see how well a player is doing, we go and look at her stats.

Now, as far as the academic awards go, I don’t have a problem with the various conference awards. I do think how the Academic All-American awards are given out should be revised. At present, it is a very subjective nomination and review process. Sports such as women’s hockey are limited in the amount of players a school can nominate, and I don’t think a player with a 3.30 (B) GPA should receive an Academic All-American award over a player with a 3.50 (A) or higher GPA. Again, in MY perfect world, the bar would be set at 3.80 cumulative GPA. If a player meets that grade requirement and is a contributing factor on the team, no matter what sport she plays, she should receive the award – THAT would be meaningful and would be a concrete goal for a player to try to achieve in her college career.

Now, … back to the real world ...

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
        Bobby Knight used to get so made at ESPN for always showing dunks.
        And lord knows Bobby Knight's anger is always justified.

Comment

The cruelest moment in a D's career happens only to males...it's in the twilight of their careers, when they first play in an over the hill no-check beer league, see some pesky little forward who's been skating rings around them get into an exposed position, the D's eyes light up. he salivates, there is a new bounce in his step...and then he realizes omg, this is no-check, I can't clock this guy, what do I do to stop him, what do I do?

(Of course, his gf would know what to do)

Comment

Or better yet...if I'm a good player on a crappy team, how do I get any recognition?

For example...Colby's goalie...15th in the country in save % with .933...yah Aveson had a .971 save % but Wheeler faced 315 more shots than Aveson...I'm will to bet that if Wheeler played for a better team she'd have better numbers.

I don't like how the best stats always win the awards. I'm not saying Aveson doesn't deserve the awards and recognition that she got, but being on a great team makes you look better.

I completely disagreed with Houle getting coach of the year. He took a bunch of great players that played well. No one expected Lake Forest to win the NCHA, no one expected St. Thomas to win the MIAC, no one expected Williams to do what they did, Mandigo benched 3(or 2?) players because it was the right thing to do and it ended their season...Should the coach of the year go to the coach that has the best players that performed the best or should it go to a coach who took lower level players and did the unexpected and made them great?

You know that defensemen don't get credit for anything...its like being an offensive lineman in football. You do all the work so the running back can have a hole to run through and the running back gets all the credit for his great run.
            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

In Houle's defense, he's the one that recognized his players' talents at the minor level, recruited them, and moulded them into a champions. He's responsible for building the Plattsburgh dynasty. They win year in and year out. And it's his program that draws the elite players. Each and every game, Plattsburgh goes onto the ice with targets on their backs simply because they are #1. It's not as easy at it looks to do this year, after year. Of course he deserves this award.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                In Houle's defense, he's the one that recognized his players' talents at the minor level, recruited them, and moulded them into a champions. He's responsible for building the Plattsburgh dynasty. They win year in and year out. And it's his program that draws the elite players. Each and every game, Plattsburgh goes onto the ice with targets on their backs simply because they are #1. It's not as easy at it looks to do this year, after year. Of course he deserves this award.
                I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the award or that he isn't a great coach, obviously he is. But did Plattsburgh do anything unexpected this year?
                UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

it was nice to see Baylee Goillanders named to the NCAA All Tourney team
                  but it took scoring goals to get noticed
                  in women's hockey especially you have to have as much skill, and maybe more, than the forwards if you expect to keep them from scoring
                  I have no doubt she could have been a very good center
                  she was one of the best skaters and puck handlers on the team

but that is repeated on nearly every team, in every league, and even for forwards
                  if you don't put the puck in the net often, few will notice or care that you are good at keeping it out of yours

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    it was nice to see Baylee Goillanders named to the NCAA All Tourney team

she was one of the best skaters and puck handlers on the team
                    I'm with you. From a pure skating point of view, she was beautiful. I loved to watch her skate!

She had a really good year, although she made a couple major mistakes. Like attempting the one-timer at the end of the Ohio State game, or kicking the puck to the UND forward in the first period that gave up a goal.

But she came on really strong in the post season and played really solid. Particularly in the frozen four I thought she played fantastic hockey (I thought Ramsey was great in the post season also) when maybe some of our other defenseman weren't playing so well.
                    Last edited by KTDC; 04-05-2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

OnMAA replys to delayedoffside's post
                      The way I see it, the D has 3 options when they gain control in their own end: 1/ if you have open ice, skate! 2/ if forwards are open and breaking, make a solid first pass and 3/ if all covered, just get it out. I love a D who can quickly recognize the options and make the right choice, especially making that first pass. Very important part of the game that does not get enough credit!!!
                      .. This !!!!
                      And I concur.

Comment

I think there's a big difference between respect and accolades. Defensive players, whether they are a 2nd or 3rd pair D or a 3rd or 4th F get a lot of respect from the fans of their respective teams and the from teams they play. Accolades only come with gaudy production numbers. You will learn in adult life that accolades come few and far between, and respect only comes from those who can recognize what you do with what resources and abilities you have.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          I think there's a big difference between respect and accolades.
                          what would USHO forum be without someone nitpicking what someone else said?

the All-WCHA awards are selected by coaches and players, is that an accolade or recognition?
                          rhetorical question

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                            It's almost as bad to be the parent of a D. You have to listen to all the talk about how great and prolific certain forwards are...meantime, it was the D who got them the puck in the first place. Remember, championships are built on defence first. Most recent example was on the Canadian men's team at the Olympics. Remember Babcock to the media....."Who won the scoring title at the Olympics? Anyone know? Who won the Gold Medal? See ya." End of press conference.

Playing D is EASY...and being the parent of a D is even easier. Scenario: team has just lost the game...pick the score...5-4 in OT or 0-1 [doesn't matter]. Forwards parent: Hey, my kid scored [had an assist, etc], he/she did his/her job" or if he/she didn't score "oh, he/she hit the post there...just a bad break"....D parent "my kid didn't score...well, of course, he/she is a 'stay at home defenseman' {bull****}...or "well, I know the other team scored 4 goals when little Johnny was out there, but it was the Goalie's fault!". Honestly, D is by far the easiest position... No pressure to score, and you can always blame the goalie. must be nice. 'Oh, that was a lovely outlet pass, Johnnny" who cares!

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                              Playing D is EASY...and being the parent of a D is even easier. Scenario: team has just lost the game...pick the score...5-4 in OT or 0-1 [doesn't matter]. Forwards parent: Hey, my kid scored [had an assist, etc], he/she did his/her job" or if he/she didn't score "oh, he/she hit the post there...just a bad break"....D parent "my kid didn't score...well, of course, he/she is a 'stay at home defenseman' {bull****}...or "well, I know the other team scored 4 goals when little Johnny was out there, but it was the Goalie's fault!". Honestly, D is by far the easiest position... No pressure to score, and you can always blame the goalie. must be nice. 'Oh, that was a lovely outlet pass, Johnnny" who cares!
                              I'm conflicted. That is, without a doubt, the stupidest post I have read to date on this forum. But, in the same breath, it is probably one of the best troll posts I have read.
                              ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                                I'm conflicted. That is, without a doubt, the stupidest post I have read to date on this forum. But, in the same breath, it is probably one of the best troll posts I have read.
                                I'll go with stupidest. The best troll posts are happening over on the Union thread.... but not actually in a good way.

Comment

Working...
                                X