As a Defenseman "I can't get any respect"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a Defenseman "I can't get any respect"

What do you need to do to get any respect!!! Forwards get their goals and assists, goalies have their save percentages and shutouts, but as a D "I can't get any respect"

Just kidding, my goalie ALWAYS makes it clear that she couldn't do it with out us! But player of the week patty Kaz and most awards elude us?
    What do we need to do?

Re: As a Defenseman "I can't get any respect"

Change positions, learn to skate forward with the puck, shoot high and hard, take a cross check to the back instead of giving one, and get yourself double digit number.

Comment

The solid stay at home D-man never receives the respect they deserve. The awards even go to the "D" that put up points. Does +/- not mean anything? Not to many people care about a D-man creating a turnover and making a great first pass that allows your team to breakout, even if it's against the Gophers 1st line. Often times I see coaches match their "scoring line" vs the Gophers "scoring line", it hasn't worked very well in recent years. There are players that do everything very well except score, coaches need to recruit them too. Look at the way NHL teams create a team, it's not with 12 Alex Ov forwards.

BTW, great topic.

Comment

If, as a D, you're playing this sport to get recognized for your own individual accomplishments, my first suggestion is to find a new sport to play. Probably soccer or basketball would be a good place to start.

Comment

Be the next Bobby Orr.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

It's almost as bad to be the parent of a D. You have to listen to all the talk about how great and prolific certain forwards are...meantime, it was the D who got them the puck in the first place. Remember, championships are built on defence first. Most recent example was on the Canadian men's team at the Olympics. Remember Babcock to the media....."Who won the scoring title at the Olympics? Anyone know? Who won the Gold Medal? See ya." End of press conference.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
              If, as a D, you're playing this sport to get recognized for your own individual accomplishments, my first suggestion is to find a new sport to play. Probably soccer or basketball would be a good place to start.
              Don't necessarily agree Rinkrat. Regardless of the position, most players would like and deserve some recognition for a job well done. Positive reinforcement and encouragement goes a long way in developing young players, especially on the girls side.

Comment

Originally posted by DelayedOffside View Post
                Don't necessarily agree Rinkrat. Regardless of the position, most players would like and deserve some recognition for a job well done. Positive reinforcement and encouragement goes a long way in developing young players, especially on the girls side.
                And getting those things from their teammates, their coaches, their parents, their friends and anyone else who cheers for them should be enough. If you're playing this game just for individual awards and accolades you're here for the wrong reasons and will fit in better with the culture of other sports

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                  The solid stay at home D-man never receives the respect they deserve. The awards even go to the "D" that put up points. Does +/- not mean anything? Not to many people care about a D-man creating a turnover and making a great first pass that allows your team to breakout, even if it's against the Gophers 1st line. Often times I see coaches match their "scoring line" vs the Gophers "scoring line", it hasn't worked very well in recent years. There are players that do everything very well except score, coaches need to recruit them too. Look at the way NHL teams create a team, it's not with 12 Alex Ov forwards.

BTW, great topic.
                  The way I see it, the D has 3 options when they gain control in their own end: 1/ if you have open ice, skate! 2/ if forwards are open and breaking, make a solid first pass and 3/ if all covered, just get it out. I love a D who can quickly recognize the options and make the right choice, especially making that first pass. Very important part of the game that does not get enough credit!!!

Comment

And getting those things from their teammates, their coaches, their parents, their friends and anyone else who cheers for them should be enough. If you're playing this game just for individual awards and accolades you're here for the wrong reasons and will fit in better with the culture of other sports
                    Oh, I agree, it's not about the awards but, as you said, the recognition from peers is nice!!! I think we're on the same page here.

Comment

Originally posted by DelayedOffside View Post
                      The way I see it, the D has 3 options when they gain control in their own end: 1/ if you have open ice, skate! 2/ if forwards are open and breaking, make a solid first pass and 3/ if all covered, just get it out. I love a D who can quickly recognize the options and make the right choice, especially making that first pass. Very important part of the game that does not get enough credit!!!
                      Great points, just too bad that so many fans don't recognize the skill that's required to consistently make the best possible decision in each circumstance.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by delayedoffside View Post
                        .. This !!!!
                        Last edited by OnMAA; 04-01-2014, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                          Does +/- not mean anything?
                          No, it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                            No, it doesn't.
                            When can I play your team?

Comment

The title is RESPECT not Awards. However the awards don't go to the D-man thus a lack of respect exists. Bobby Knight used to get so made at ESPN for always showing dunks. He said dunks mean nothing in the game, it started with 5 guys working together. A goal is usually a natural finish to a 5 man unit work together. Does the 1st pass have less value than the player who taps in a puck for the goal? Everyone has their own $0.02 on this. Remember when you lost (even with the much better Forwards) because your D-man couldn't get you out of the zone, the value might be greater than one might think. Especially if you have bad D.

Comment

Working...
                              X