UConn 2014-2015: Let the Hockey East Era Begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UConn 2014-2015: Let the Hockey East Era Begin

I thought this was some cool information to share here...I ran into a friend of mine yesterday who played hockey at UCONN from 96-00. We started talking about UCONN hockey and he was telling me how he gets regular email updates from the program as a former player. I thought this was pretty cool...that Cav is reaching out to former players on a regular basis. He truly is building this program his way from the bottom up with a solid base. We talked about the need for the new barn on campus, and the games in and Bridgeport (he lives in Stamford and is going to go to all of the Bridgeport games) and how it will be great when the team has a permanent place to call home on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by FDNY99 View Post
      What do you think of the recently released Off-Season Roster? I am interested to see how many Freshman he brings in to fill it out from the present 15.
      Some of the players cut were rising sophomores which means that they were probably on partials. One of the things David Berard mentioned shortly before the coaching choice was announced by Warde Manuel was that his recruiting scholarship budget was defined very late -- with the implication that had affected results.

It is a business. There is basically no loyalty if the player does not have HE potential. This is just part of the program upgrade process. It is what it is. UConn want to be successful in HE. Full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
        Some of the players cut were rising sophomores which means that they were probably on partials. One of the things David Berard mentioned shortly before the coaching choice was announced by Warde Manuel was that his recruiting scholarship budget was defined very late -- with the implication that had affected results.

It is a business. There is basically no loyalty if the player does not have HE potential. This is just part of the program upgrade process. It is what it is. UConn want to be successful in HE. Full stop.
        I'm under the impression that hockey doesn't give partial schollies per se but rather the question becomes "how many years" will the player be supported. I could be wrong, but its not 0.5 scholarship but rather "we will cover you in your junior and senior years"
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          I'm under the impression that hockey doesn't give partial schollies per se but rather the question becomes "how many years" will the player be supported. I could be wrong, but its not 0.5 scholarship but rather "we will cover you in your junior and senior years"
          They do both. Pretty sure. I do not think hockey is different from any other NCAA sport.

Comment

Today's poll: Where will UConn finish in the first season in Hockey East?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Today's poll: Where will UConn finish in the first season in Hockey East?
              We kinda did that awhile back and most UConn fans chose to be optimistic and say tenth. Most fans of other HE teams chose to be diplomatic and not answer.

Comment

I have no idea, and it was many many years ago, but when I was at UConn we had 2 scholarships for track. One was split between 2 All-americans, and the other spread among a number of athletes...to the point where people got $500-1000. My daughter was offered track scholarships from a couple of schools a few years ago and always along the lines of $7500-8,000/year at some mid-level D1 schools (competetively, not academically). She ended up in the NESCAC where they don't give athletic aid. Bu tin any case the scholarships were yearly. Hockey could work differently though.

Comment

Uconn Recruit Ben Freeman is on the Cedar Rapids tryout camp roster for this upcoming week. He is a Free Agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                    I have no idea, and it was many many years ago, but when I was at UConn we had 2 scholarships for track. One was split between 2 All-americans, and the other spread among a number of athletes...to the point where people got $500-1000. My daughter was offered track scholarships from a couple of schools a few years ago and always along the lines of $7500-8,000/year at some mid-level D1 schools (competetively, not academically). She ended up in the NESCAC where they don't give athletic aid. Bu tin any case the scholarships were yearly. Hockey could work differently though.
                    Yeah, I know I can be wrong so many ways to slice things.

I know some sports are maxed at a fraction and that fractional scholarships can be given.

I haven't seen a rule per se. Would love clarification, but every time in hockey I hear it in terms of years and not in percentages

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

• Re: UConn 2014-2015: Let the Hockey East Era Begin

Yeah, I know I can be wrong so many ways to slice things.

I know some sports are maxed at a fraction and that fractional scholarships can be given.

I haven't seen a rule per se. Would love clarification, but every time in hockey I hear it in terms of years and not in percentages
                      They do split up scholarships. Hockey has a cap of 18 scholarships. What you will see is a kid getting what they call a "two for four (50%)" scholarship, three for four (75%), or four for four (100%). Basically they then just get those amount of years paid for, and then are responsible for the rest. I would assume they could get whatever financial aid they qualify for to help with the unpaid years.

Comment

Originally posted by pucks711 View Post
                        Hockey has a cap of 18 scholarships.
                        It used to be 20. About two decades ago the NCAA forced a ten percent reduction on all sports. Soccer has a maximum of 9.9 I think. How football came out of that exercise with 85 I have no idea.

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html
                        Last edited by RSTuthill; 05-28-2014, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                          It used to be 20. About two decades ago the NCAA forced a ten percent reduction on all sports. Soccer has a maximum of 9.9 I think. How football came out of that exercise with 85 I have no idea.

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html
                          I believe hockey is among the "equivalent" sports where 18 scholarships can be split up pretty much as many ways as you want and as will be effective. FBS Football and basketball are the only ones that are still required to be full rides, I think.

Dick, if I recall correctly, when the current limits were set, football settled on 85 down from something like 110. At the time some schools were basically stockpiling players and offering scholarships merely to keep them from going to others then refusing to allow them to transfer. Again if I recall, Alabama, Georgia, Texas and Pittsburgh (I know, which doesn't belong and why?) were among those programs accused of doing that.

Comment

18 schollys spread over 30 players max
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by pucks711 View Post
                              They do split up scholarships. Hockey has a cap of 18 scholarships. What you will see is a kid getting what they call a "two for four (50%)" scholarship, three for four (75%), or four for four (100%). Basically they then just get those amount of years paid for, and then are responsible for the rest. I would assume they could get whatever financial aid they qualify for to help with the unpaid years.
                              So it's what I said it was

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

UConn recruit Liam Murphy highest selected American, second highest picked NCAA recruit in 2014 QMJHL Draft:
                                http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...n-major-junior
                                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Working...
                                X