X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part VIII - The Thin Red Line

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/us...al-source.html

I figure this belongs in this thread rather than the SCotUS thread. I become increasingly disturbed by this administration's lack of Constitutional awareness.

Between the drone attacks on US citizens overseas, the massive overreach by the NSA, and the unprecedented attack on the press (eight subpoenas in six years compared to three in the 232 year preceding it).
    No one is enforcing it.

Comment

Folks, I give you Rover's secret crush trying to defend the NSA. Not only is she dodging the questions, but she even blames Dubya for what's happening now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1W-fJpgZr0

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Folks, I give you Rover's secret crush trying to defend the NSA. Not only is she dodging the questions, but she even blames Dubya for what's happening now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1W-fJpgZr0
        I thought he had a crush on Hillary?

The NSA is one of those areas where establishment Democrats have a very tough time if they choose to defend the agency. There are many Democrats (mostly the new generation) who oppose the NSA data collection no matter who the president is. It was started under the Bush presidency, but it has continued for six years under Obama - if he wanted it to change it would've. I'm guessing Candidate Obama wanted to change things but advisors successfully argued to President Obama why it couldn't. But that's just a guess. Back in 2000 I remember saying if Nader had won he would have walked into the Situation Room, seen the state of the world and ended up in the fetal position under a table.

To be fair, it isn't a whole lot easier for Tories. On the one hand they want to appear tough on defense but it goes against the civil liberties angle in the party. Democratic Senate candidate Shenna Bellows (former head of the Maine Civil Liberties Union) made headlines here when she praised Rand Paul for his stand on the NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          I thought he had a crush on Hillary?

The NSA is one of those areas where establishment Democrats have a very tough time if they choose to defend the agency. There are many Democrats (mostly the new generation) who oppose the NSA data collection no matter who the president is. It was started under the Bush presidency, but it has continued for six years under Obama - if he wanted it to change it would've. I'm guessing Candidate Obama wanted to change things but advisors successfully argued to President Obama why it couldn't. But that's just a guess. Back in 2000 I remember saying if Nader had won he would have walked into the Situation Room, seen the state of the world and ended up in the fetal position under a table.

To be fair, it isn't a whole lot easier for Tories. On the one hand they want to appear tough on defense but it goes against the civil liberties angle in the party. Democratic Senate candidate Shenna Bellows (former head of the Maine Civil Liberties Union) made headlines here when she praised Rand Paul for his stand on the NSA.
          And she's madly disappointed.

It's funny how ACLU attorneys, including the famous one I unfortunately have to share a birthday with (Gloria Allred), talk about how they want to defend the Constitution, yet they only do it selectively. They're not defending the Constitution if they choose to ignore parts of it. About the time I went to college, media started to show the activities of the group FIRE, which has had to defend many college students, regardless of political affiliation, on the account of Constitutional issues. One of the famous ones was Steven Hinkle, who was able to get an author to the Cal Poly campus, put up fliers which had the name of one of the author's books, and was expelled because it had the word "plantation" in it. Granted, that's a private establishment, but a great uproar was caused. I forget the name of the documentary, but it was done by Evan Maloney.

Comment

I'm curious what parts of the constitution you feel the ACLU does not defend. I disagree with them pretty frequently, but inconsistency would not be one of my criticisms.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              I'm curious what parts of the constitution you feel the ACLU does not defend. I disagree with them pretty frequently, but inconsistency would not be one of my criticisms.
              They certainly defend his right to be wrong about pretty much everything and wear tinfoil to protect himself from the laser listening devices!
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                It's funny how ACLU attorneys, including the famous one I unfortunately have to share a birthday with (Gloria Allred), talk about how they want to defend the Constitution, yet they only do it selectively. They're not defending the Constitution if they choose to ignore parts of it.
                Anyone who accuses the ACLU of being too selective in choosing whose liberties they protect is just not paying attention. They usually incur wrath in each case they take on, but it comes from widely deverse interests

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  I haven't seen them defend any third amendment cases lately!

Comment

Hey - Liarwatha proposed a bill I can agree with.. http://washingtonexaminer.com/cbo-51...rticle/2549323

The crushing student loan debt is going to prevent a large # of college grads from loading up on other worthwhile debt to buy houses or automobiles in the future. Reducing the interest rate will put more money in the borrowers' pockets, thereby hopefully allowing more $$ to be spent.

It is prudent for Uncle Sam to provide climates that encourage its citizens (and illegals) to make investments in the economy. Therefore. Mr. President (Speaker) I support the bill.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

They've completely turned their backs on the Commerce Clause.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Hey - Liarwatha proposed a bill I can agree with.. http://washingtonexaminer.com/cbo-51...rticle/2549323

The crushing student loan debt is going to prevent a large # of college grads from loading up on other worthwhile debt to buy houses or automobiles in the future. Reducing the interest rate will put more money in the borrowers' pockets, thereby hopefully allowing more $$ to be spent.

It is prudent for Uncle Sam to provide climates that encourage its citizens (and illegals) to make investments in the economy. Therefore. Mr. President (Speaker) I support the bill.
                        I've been supporting that bill (or one like it) for over a year now. Both of my Senators blew me off when I wrote them about it.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

I'm in favor of eliminating interest for those who earn a degree in a field that has a shortage of qualified employees. Maybe then we'd turn out a few more accountants, nurses/PAs, computer scientists, and engineers, and a few less generic business and humanities majors working behind the counter at Starbucks.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I'm in favor of eliminating interest for those who earn a degree in a field that has a shortage of qualified employees. Maybe then we'd turn out a few more accountants, nurses/PAs, computer scientists, and engineers, and a few less generic business and humanities majors working behind the counter at Starbucks.
                            So we can draw blood but don't know Yeats from Gates?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Second and fourth amendments, for starters.

Although they may be starting to see the light: http://www.infowars.com/court-case-c...ilming-arrest/

Comment

You have a point, especially with Obama's declaration of a national monument for the sole purpose of stealing ranch land... that is essentially third amendment.

Comment

Working...
                                X