X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2014 off season thread

Originally posted by michiganmidge View Post
    Are you effing kidding me?! Dunbar is the PROBLEM, not the solution. If you think what she's done is a good thing, you are sadly mistaken.
    I think BOTH are the problem. But didn't Dunbar work her butt off to try and get the Lakers in the WCHA when the CCHA was disbanding or was it more more Tony McLain?
    Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 03-11-2014, 11:21 PM.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
      A long overdue decision...it is time to now move forward. I sincerely hope that they the A.D. takes the appropriate time and forms a search committee to properly vet candidates and not rush into a hasty decision...that is how we ended up with Roque in the first place. To all the nay sayers, there are plenty of solid Junior A , D-III coaches and assistant D-1 coaches who would love a stab at leading a D-1 program....even for less money!
      I agree about them needing to form a committee also.
      BLEED BLUE

Comment

A National Search will be conducted.....I doubt Tim Christian is a candidate since he has been there for the last 11 years and is responsible for this poor team too. JS lied the first time he was hired by falsifying that he had a bachelor's degree when indeed he didn't. He ended up going to NMU to complete his degree and then was hired there. If LSSU hires someone who dupped them once, then there is a reason they have less than 2200 students enrolled and less than 800 living on campus pursuing a degree. Lake State is broke because they don't have any students. Hence the tiny recruiting and operations budget and the fact that the AD has spent no money on marketing. The AD has very little respect in this community, her and her husband pulled a Squirt AA hockey team right out from the Sault Michigan Hockey Association because Mr. Dunbar was upset he was not selected as the coach. Don't you think that is a great way to build support from your hockey community as the leader of an athletic department in a small town? Steal a team and then move it to a rival town.
        Last edited by Mister Hockey 8; 03-12-2014, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Lake State's star freshman, Globke, should call up Notre Dame and get the transfer process going now.....run boy...run....run fast...RUN....don't look back.....

Go to a school that not only has well paid coaches but also has a full-time paid strength coach, a video coach, hockey operations director, an equipment manager, a team chef, etc., etc. Those things are never coming to LSSU. The big schools keep getting better and Lake State will never be able to keep up. Lake State can't even convince 2200 students to enroll. It is more like a high school than a college campus(They have not had 3000 full-time students enrolled since the 90's.) He's proven himself worthy of playing at a bigger and better school.

And as far as Alaska goes, the first year is always the honeymoon.......although it does sound like they are giving their coach everything he needs to succeed with financial resources and not handicapping him out of the gate.
          Last edited by Mister Hockey 8; 03-12-2014, 04:12 AM.

Comment

If you think Pearson's contract is impressive, you should see what they spend on their operations for their hockey program. Last summer, MTU installed an $800,000 video score clock. Ha, that's like 3 years of LSSU hockey spending. LSSU's AD wouldn't even know how to allocate that much money.....Lake State is not even in the same ball park as MTU with academic or athletic spending. MTU is a far superior institution. Lake State was a feeder campus to MTU and still acts like a community college today. They are the closest in size to LSSU of the UP Schools but they are the Prince and LSSU is the pauper. NMU is the largest of the 3 universities in the UP and also have the largest city and are known for their great parties.
            Last edited by Mister Hockey 8; 03-12-2014, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Hockey 8 View Post
              If you think Pearson's contract is impressive, you should see what they spend on their operations for their hockey program. Last summer, MTU installed an $800,000 video score clock. Ha, that's like 3 years of LSSU hockey spending. LSSU's AD wouldn't even know how to allocate that much money.....Lake State is not even in the same ball park as MTU with academic or athletic spending. MTU is a far superior institution. Lake State was a feeder campus to MTU and still acts like a community college today. They are the closest in size to LSSU of the UP Schools but they are the Prince and LSSU is the pauper. NMU is the largest of the 3 universities in the UP and also have the largest city and are known for their great parties.
              It's a shame to see all the money,all the academic success and MTU has not put a good team on the ice in decades. Talk about spending money and not getting anything back from it. Seems MTU needs to hire someone to make the spending worthwhile.

Comment

Mister Hockey 8.You are actually bragging about all the money going into MTU hockey and the last good team they had was 35 years ago.Talk about spending huge sums of money on a program that puts out second tier teams is not a great selling point .....LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                  Oh suuure...things are fine with the program CKrouth...please don't stick your head in the sand or come on here and imply that you are someone with a clue....programs in trouble, can't hide it anymore. Despite moving to a "lower rung" conference, costs are actually up and revenue is way down and there is a financial crunch. The program has at least taken a step in the right direction today but it is imperative that the powers that be do not mess this up! The right candidate must be found and hired. We as fans, for our part as well, must if the administration does this right, move forward with the team and expect a bumpy ride but have a team that will not only show promise but actually fulfill it....something Roque was never able to do despite having the necessary talent to do so.
                  Interesting. You are trying to tell one of the University Accountants there is a massive financial problem in Laker Hockey? I think I know more on this subject than you do, unless you are a Vice President.

Whether things are fine in the program from a hockey standpoint are for you guys to decide. It would seem most on here feel its not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Hockey 8 View Post
                    A National Search will be conducted.....I doubt Tim Christian is a candidate since he has been there for the last 11 years and is responsible for this poor team too. JS lied the first time he was hired by falsifying that he had a bachelor's degree when indeed he didn't. He ended up going to NMU to complete his degree and then was hired there. If LSSU hires someone who dupped them once, then there is a reason they have less than 2200 students enrolled and less than 800 living on campus pursuing a degree. Lake State is broke because they don't have any students. Hence the tiny recruiting and operations budget and the fact that the AD has spent no money on marketing. The AD has very little respect in this community, her and her husband pulled a Squirt AA hockey team right out from the Sault Michigan Hockey Association because Mr. Dunbar was upset he was not selected as the coach. Don't you think that is a great way to build support from your hockey community as the leader of an athletic department in a small town? Steal a team and then move it to a rival town.
                    This is long overdue. You seem a bit upset Mister Hockey. I have said for some time that Joe Shawhan should be coaching at LSSU. Even when he was with the Indians. Making a comment that he was dishonest with LSSU the first time around is somewhat comical. Does it really make sense that he could lie to the school that he got his degree from. He was hired as a popular move to offset those that might have been upset that Coach Anzalone was let go. LSSU knew what they were getting and don't forget, Coach Roques best two years were when Joe Shawhan was here.

Comment

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2014 off season thread

The AD is responsible for maintaining contact and good relationships with various public groups, organizations, and individual and supervising special projects related to the athletic program. I would like to know why she has squashed school spirit by taking photos of students in the student section for purposes of identifying them and kicking them out of hockey games for cheering and supporting the team? She has repeatedly had students dismissed from the building for the way they cheer. Look no further for one of the key reasons that school spirit is non-existent and game attendance is so low. You have to worry about being kicked out unless you cheer properly. I have seen the kids support their team and there is nothing inappropriate in the way that these kids cheer!
                      http://livingwithinsects.files.wordp.../midge-001.png

Comment

Originally posted by DM2SM View Post
                        This is long overdue. You seem a bit upset Mister Hockey. I have said for some time that Joe Shawhan should be coaching at LSSU. Even when he was with the Indians. Making a comment that he was dishonest with LSSU the first time around is somewhat comical. Does it really make sense that he could lie to the school that he got his degree from. He was hired as a popular move to offset those that might have been upset that Coach Anzalone was let go. LSSU knew what they were getting and don't forget, Coach Roques best two years were when Joe Shawhan was here.
                        He did not have a degree from LSSU. He lied about that and was caught - hence the reason he is no longer employed as an assistant coach.
                        http://livingwithinsects.files.wordp.../midge-001.png

Comment

The firing of Roque has brought out all sorts of new posters to the site; quite a few have been pretty negative about LSSU and the hockey program. I like many of the regular posters are happy to see the university remove Roque and maybe Dunbar should be let go also. I don’t see McClain cleaning house before he leaves, most likely he would leave her fate to the next person coming in.

Many have harped about salaries; Bill made a great comment about some great coaches getting their at Lake State at a lesser salary before moving to larger schools that could pay more. But before they left Lake State’s hockey program did benefit from each of them before they went on to bigger and better things. I’m sure the university understands what salaries are around the WCHA and other conferences and what will needed in the future.

As for a new coach; the program is down at this time but … what an opportunity for a good, young, energetic coach who has experience in building a hockey program. If I were on the search committee I would be scouting/visiting/calling Adrian College.

While names may be gathered in the coming days I would be surprised if anything happens until the Division I or III playoffs are complete when prospective coaches or assistants teams have finished the playoffs.

I for one look forward to seeing what the future brings and look forward to watching the 'new' team this fall.
                          Go Lakers!

Comment

Roque had his chance and he had it longer than Borek or Anzalone . It is always the same when changes are needed. You can't fire the team .

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad
                              The Jimbo attack dogs and apologists are having one last bark and bite. Mr. Raven might be happy to know that Mr. Roque will not be part of the team picture next year, among some others who felt the ire of that man up there.

I hope the A.D. and administration looks at Frank or Francis Anzalone. A proven winner who put your village on the map, and is a lead NHL scout, or an up and coming coach who has a hockey mind, just like his father.

TBA
                              Pretty sure everybody in the Soo and all of Michigan knows better than to ever consider anyone with the Anzalone name ever again. That's funny though.

Comment

Originally posted by CKrouth View Post
                                Interesting. You are trying to tell one of the University Accountants there is a massive financial problem in Laker Hockey? I think I know more on this subject than you do, unless you are a Vice President.

Whether things are fine in the program from a hockey standpoint are for you guys to decide. It would seem most on here feel its not.
                                Funny because it is from someone who deals with the shools accounting/budgeting that told me that the program was bleeding red....maybe you should talk to your boss to get clued in. Look, I'm not saying that they are thinking of pulling the plug this year because obviously they are not but the way the program has been operating is not sustainable. Revenues must increase to make this viable. Thankfully the hiring of the right coach and putting the team back on track will go a long way into making this happen. Think about it, they averaged 1700 or so a game this year when so many had become dissatisfied with the Roque administration. Hire a good energetic coach who can build a team that shows promise and lives up to its potential and that attendance average is easily bumped up to 2500-2700 per game and revenues would rise just as fast and no more long term sustainability issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X