WCHA Final Face-Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA Final Face-Off

The pairings are now set for the Final Face-Off at the Sanford Center in Bemidji this coming weekend, March 7th and 8th. Semifinal game times are 4:07pm and 7:07pm on Friday with the Championship game to be played at 7:07pm on Saturday. The pairings are:

#4 Minnesota-Duluth vs. #1 Minnesota
    #3 North Dakota vs. #2 Wisconsin

Although I have not yet seen the times when each matchup will be played.

Thoughts on:

Does UND need to win it if they are to receive an NCAA berth?
    Does Wisconsin need to win it to be assured of playing at home in the NCAA quarterfinal?
    Who do people like in the UND/Badger game?
    Will the Gophers take UMD too lightly?
    Any known injury issues?
    Will the Polar Vortex affect attendance?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: WCHA Final Face-Off

NDak and Wisc at 4:07 according to WCHA site.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      The pairings are now set for the Final Face-Off at the Sanford Center in Bemidji this coming weekend, March 7th and 8th. Semifinal game times are 4:07pm and 7:07pm on Friday with the Championship game to be played at 7:07pm on Saturday. The pairings are:

#4 Minnesota-Duluth vs. #1 Minnesota
      #3 North Dakota vs. #2 Wisconsin

Although I have not yet seen the times when each matchup will be played.

Thoughts on:

I recall an exciting semi between these two in the WCHA Final Faceoff not long ago at all. Expect another one in Bemidji.

I'll go with UND.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Does UND need to win it if they are to receive an NCAA berth?
        Almost certainly yes. Someone might come up with a scenario that gets them in if they lose to Minnesota in the final but I can't imagine it's at all likely.

Does Wisconsin need to win it to be assured of playing at home in the NCAA quarterfinal?
        Almost certainly no. If it happens it would require BC winning the HE tournament and both Clarkson and Cornell passing Wisconsin even though only one of them can win the ECAC tournament. My guess is that even if Wisconsin loses to UND on Friday they will probably host a first round game though it will be close. A more likely outcome if Wsconsin doesn't win twice is that they fall to the #4 seed behind BC and either Clarkson or Cornell (I don't think Harvard can get there even if they win the ECAC) and end up on the same side of the bracket as Minnesota.

Define "like".

Will the Gophers take UMD too lightly?
        I doubt it.

Any known injury issues?
        My sinuses are killing me.

Comment

I'd just as soon that UW wins and stays on the other side of an NCAA bracket. If WCHA teams are going to meet, I'd rather it is in the final or not at all. That gives more variety to the tournament.

Not sure why Minnesota is playing the late game. Whenever UMD or Wisconsin is the #1 seed, they play early. The Gophers play late when they host as #1 seed, but why venture to Bemidji and play late? Doesn't make any sense to me.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            Not sure why Minnesota is playing the late game. Whenever UMD or Wisconsin is the #1 seed, they play early. The Gophers play late when they host as #1 seed, but why venture to Bemidji and play late? Doesn't make any sense to me.
            Was wondering the same. You would think the No. 1 seed would get the early game, and receive the benefit of the additional rest.

Comment

Was wondering the same. You would think the No. 1 seed would get the early game, and receive the benefit of the additional rest.
              Also given that if you had to pick a game that was likely to go to overtime, it would be the 2/3 matchup. Especially in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
                Also given that if you had to pick a game that was likely to go to overtime, it would be the 2/3 matchup. Especially in this case.
                Speaking of the possibility of overtime, if such should occur would they keep playing real hockey until someone scores?

Comment

Speaking of the possibility of overtime, if such should occur would they keep playing real hockey until someone scores?
                  If you mean 20-minute periods of 5-on-5 (when at full strength), then yes.
                  Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                  Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                  Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Will the Gophers take UMD too lightly?)
                    I'd be worried if I were you since Miller said after today's game that the 'Dogs are "peaking" at the right time!

The two combined could be a deadly combo.

Now, about that bridge that you were inquiring about...

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                      I'd be worried if I were you since Miller said after today's game that the 'Dogs are "peaking" at the right time!
                      The trip from trough to peak implies an wave length that leaves me less than worried for next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                        Knowing Miller's "proclivity for hyperbole" I strongly suspect the intended audience for this proclamation was her own team. The question is, will the players have lingering doubts in their ability to beat the Gophers after losing to them twice by identical 6-0 scores, just one series ago? Regaining their confidence will be key, and Miller's words of encouragement were obviously designed to provide a boost.

Comment

The WCHA FINAL FACE-OFF semifinal games will be played at 4:07 pm CT and 7:07 pm CT on Friday, March 7 and the playoff title game will be at 7:07 pm CT on Saturday, March 8. All games will be streamed live and without cost by America ONE on the WCHA website (www.wcha.com). Veteran broadcaster Jack Swanson and Kelly Schultz will provide commentary.

Comment

Knowing Miller's "proclivity for hyperbole" I strongly suspect the intended audience for this proclamation was her own team. The question is, will the players have lingering doubts in their ability to beat the Gophers after losing to them twice by identical 6-0 scores, just one series ago? Regaining their confidence will be key, and Miller's words of encouragement were obviously designed to provide a boost.
                            I agree and Eeyore was reading my mind...that's a pretty low peak. With all due respect to the team two apparently decent games does not a peak make especially immediately following two nightmarish games but I guess her comments just prove that everything is relative.

Hopefully, they will rise to the occasion and make it a fairly close contest.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                              The WCHA FINAL FACE-OFF semifinal games will be played at 4:07 pm CT and 7:07 pm CT on Friday, March 7 and the playoff title game will be at 7:07 pm CT on Saturday, March 8. All games will be streamed live and without cost by America ONE on the WCHA website (www.wcha.com). Veteran broadcaster Jack Swanson and Kelly Schultz will provide commentary.
                              Great news - thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X