2/28, 3/2 Wolverines vs Buckeyes Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2/28, 3/2 Wolverines vs Buckeyes Thread

Once again, we have fallen victim to the asinine scheduling of the B1G/BTN.

A friday night, 6:35pm game at Yost and a Sunday, 1:05pm game at the Value City Arena.

BTN (unfortunately) will have the Friday night game and FS Detroit will have the Sunday game.

Keys to another sweep for Michigan: tighten up the defense, stop being stupid with the puck giving up odd man rushes.

Guptill was benched Saturday night after a lackluster effort (according to the coaches) on Friday night in a loss to [REDACTED]. The energy seemed a lot higher on in the Saturday night win.

However, Guptill has caused nightmares for ohio. We shall see. Critical series this weekend for B1G Tournament positioning since both teams, including Michigan, are out of the picture for the B1G Regular Season Championship. /crawls up and sobs
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Re: 2/28, 3/2 Wolverines vs Buckeyes Thread

Keep Guptil in the stands for 2 more games please. He has torched the Buckeyes in the last 3 games they have played. The Buckeyes are coming off a bye week and should be fully healthy for this weekend. Each team has an outside shot at 2nd place but really they are playing for the 3 seed and avoiding Minnesota in the semifinals.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      Once again, Keys to another sweep for Michigan: stop being stupid. We shall see. crawls up and sobs
      Whiney Ferris Knuckle-dragger:"You're exactly right, the WMU students & fans are out of control. The Lawson Lunatics are a bunch of wild animals with zero class or civility"

Comment

Guptill was on the ice for 3 of the 5 goals Friday and was directly responsible for the third, game tying goal shorthanded. He was dogging it every shift and appeared to redeem himself by scoring with 2:00 left which put Michigan in a spot to win. He wasn't on the ice in the last :30 for the game tying goal (it was caused by a blind reverse between Clare and Bennett and a failure to clear by Clare) but was on the ice when Bennett overskated the puck in OT, springing PSU for the game winner.

He was coming off of a shoulder injury two weeks earlier and may have been trying to prevent himself from re-injuring it, but based on his typical skating prowess all season, he didn't appear eager to work real hard on Friday.

Bennett, ironically, got drilled with his head down winding up out of his zone and is feared lost for some time with a shoulder or wrist injury. This, just after getting back Kevin Lohan, a big defender that compliments some of our smaller blueliners.

If the Wolverines play as well defensively against OSU as they did Saturday night, they will give themselves a chance to win. Otherwise, they will go back to the defense that allowed 21 goals in 5 games prior to Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawson_lunatic27 View Post
          It warms my heart to no end that Michigan spanked western's *** red in front of the western students and two fans for their final CCHA game. Not to mention in that warehouse they call an arena.
          ---
          National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
          19 Conference Championships
          10 Conference Tournament Championships
          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

It warms my heart to no end that Michigan spanked western's *** red in front of the western students and two fans for their final CCHA game. Not to mention in that warehouse they call an arena.
            I know the feeling... It happenes to me everytime we play your has been team in detroit.
            Whiney Ferris Knuckle-dragger:"You're exactly right, the WMU students & fans are out of control. The Lawson Lunatics are a bunch of wild animals with zero class or civility"

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
              Keep Guptil in the stands for 2 more games please. He has torched the Buckeyes in the last 3 games they have played. The Buckeyes are coming off a bye week and should be fully healthy for this weekend. Each team has an outside shot at 2nd place but really they are playing for the 3 seed and avoiding Minnesota in the semifinals.
              Guptill has loved OSU since his freshman year. In 8 career games vs. OSU, he has 8-5=13.
              Fr: 4-2=6
              Soph: 3-1=4
              Jr: 1-2=3

Tough to justify not playing him ahead of the likes of Shuart, Selman or Allen, especially with Sinelli likely back to D.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                Guptill has loved OSU since his freshman year. In 8 career games vs. OSU, he has 8-5=13.
                Fr: 4-2=6
                Soph: 3-1=4
                Jr: 1-2=3

Tough to justify not playing him ahead of the likes of Shuart, Selman or Allen, especially with Sinelli likely back to D.
                Yea he should sit these two games out too LOL

Comment

I'm calling this weekend's series the battle for mediocrity.

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                  Agreed. Also, I liked Sinelli's tweet after Saturday's game. "I like to compare myself to Tiger's player Don Kelly. No one has any idea what position he plays, and he's not good at any of them"
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G
                  7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                  6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                  5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                  5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                  2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                  2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

Agreed. Also, I liked Sinelli's tweet after Saturday's game. "I like to compare myself to Tiger's player Don Kelly. No one has any idea what position he plays, and he's not good at any of them"
                    Except he is playing like our third best d-man. He isn't overly big, but has good wheels and decent stickhandling skills.

Comment

This weekend is going to be important.

The beginning of the season gave us a lot of hope, and that many of the attitude and mental problems have been mostly repiared.

now we see that they are still there.

What really bugs me- we sit Guptil for playing badly. Why not Claire? he's been really bad all season, and consistent in that. Blind passes to nobody, slow passes that are easy to interrupt, bad coverage- he's mostly taking up ice space. Sorry Kevin, but you need to sit.

Still against the Buckeyes, Guptil has done well.

Hard to make of the weekend- OSU has been up and down, but IMHO, more recently up more than down. Michigan has beaten Penn State twice, lost to them twice, and got swept by Minnesota.

I would not be shocked to see that half of Yost doesn't show on Friday- it's supposed to be cold, again. Even though the names are Ohio State and Michigan- it's stll the battle of B1G mediocrity, as wT points out.
                      Last edited by alfablue; 02-25-2014, 06:47 AM.

Comment

A friday night, 6:35pm game at Yost and a Sunday, 1:05pm game at the Value City Arena.
                        Sunday's game is Downtown at Nationwide Arena. There's no sense in sending anyone to the wrong building, whether friend or foe.

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                        To properly evaluate a season in the new B1G format, some recalibration is going to be required. What does third or fourth place in the B1G really mean? We're looking at a shorter regular season with a smallish group of teams. My thought is that, more than ever before, the postseason will determine how a team is remembered.

In particular, the new conference tournament structure creates an opportunity to make one's mark quickly. Under the previous CCHA format, you had to play 4-6 games just to get to the final group of four teams. Put another way, the "mediocre" teams, seeds #5 - #8, had to excel for three straight weekends to win a playoff crown. Now, 1 win gets you to the final group; one great weekend can get you a banner. I'm not sure how I feel about all that; guess I'll have to experience it a few times before passing judgment.

Unrelated and Belated: The Life of Henrietta Lacks really is Immortal. Great book.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        I would not be shocked to see that half of Yost doesn't show on Friday- it's supposed to be cold, again. Even though the names are Ohio State and Michigan- it's stll the battle of B1G mediocrity, as wT points out.
                        It will also be very interesting to see what the crowd is like in the rematch. When we've played at Nationwide in the past, numbers have usually suffered a bit. Of course those games were holiday tournaments, or the traditionally difficult-to-sell first round playoff games. I would hope Ohio State/Michigan would be different. Guess we'll find out Sunday.

Comment

Cant wait for this weekend am supporting Wolverines.....
                          atlantarhinoplastycritic.com

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            It will also be very interesting to see what the crowd is like in the rematch. When we've played at Nationwide in the past, numbers have usually suffered a bit. Of course those games were holiday tournaments, or the traditionally difficult-to-sell first round playoff games. I would hope Ohio State/Michigan would be different. Guess we'll find out Sunday.
                            Looking at this porportioanlly, your fans have historically supported this series better than ours. By that I mean you have filled Value City up when Michigan comes to town, whereas rarely does Yost do better than average when OSU is in town.

On the other hand, Sunday.

Still, I'll put 5500 at Yost Friday- early game, plus much colder than normal weather. We'll sell out the rest of the season when the spartans and gophers come to town.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              Looking at this porportioanlly, your fans have historically supported this series better than ours. By that I mean you have filled Value City up when Michigan comes to town, whereas rarely does Yost do better than average when OSU is in town...
                              This isn't hard to understand. From the perspective of a hockey purist, the OSU games generally haven't been the biggest games on your schedule. I'll leave it at that.

Still, I'll put 5500 at Yost Friday- early game, plus much colder than normal weather. We'll sell out the rest of the season when the spartans and gophers come to town.
                              How cold? Maybe I missed the memo, but I didn't think that we were expecting the coldest temps of the season this weekend.

I'm compelled to say that I've never missed an indoor sporting event on the grounds that it was too cold outside. Never once, and I have lived colder places than Central Ohio. The idea that hockey people would skip a hockey game on the grounds that the commute would be too cold just strikes me as odd.

On the other hand, I can understand and forgive those who can't get to the rink on time due to the extra early start...

Comment

Working...
                              X