X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA IV (2013-14): Unlocked and Cocked

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    The Sully used to have the best ice in the WCHA, according to a lot of former players. There was a problem this weekend with a broken or clogged pipe, a strip along the boards never froze. The ice plant is not all that is going to be replaced at the Sully, they are getting new lower bowl seats, new boards and new seamless NHL glass as well. Maybe 9fingers crossed) a jumbo tron score board as well.
    New glass would be huge. I'm pretty sure that's the worst glass I've ever looked through.
    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
      Kurt Haider knows only about 4 thousand more percent WCHA information than Doyle. He's a much more qualified media representative than Woody.
      Amen to that!

stuckinwi - we UAA fans have been complaining about the glass for years. Cobb (the former AD) promised us it was going to be replaced last summer. Yep.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
        New glass would be huge. I'm pretty sure that's the worst glass I've ever looked through.
        There's no need for putting money into a failing facility. We've got tennis courts to build.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          I'm already preparing for the inevitable sweep of NMU by UAH on the final weekend of the season; where NMU finishes ninth just one point behind UAF who takes the final playoff spot. It's bound to happen.
          We aim to please.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Doing a little Expected Values work had Tech missing out in the last two rounds of predictions, but now it's Alaska missing out.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              doing a little expected values work had tech missing out in the last two rounds of predictions, but now it's alaska fairbanks missing out.

Gfm
              ftfy.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                The Sully used to have the best ice in the WCHA, according to a lot of former players. There was a problem this weekend with a broken or clogged pipe, a strip along the boards never froze. The ice plant is not all that is going to be replaced at the Sully, they are getting new lower bowl seats, new boards and new seamless NHL glass as well. Maybe 9fingers crossed) a jumbo tron score board as well.
                That ice was brutal last weekend. A bad pipe had some melting the whole length of the rink on Thursday. The area went the length of the rink on the penalty box side. There were also gaps between the ice and the boards in many areas as well.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  That ice was brutal last weekend. A bad pipe had some melting the whole length of the rink on Thursday. The area went the length of the rink on the penalty box side. There were also gaps between the ice and the boards in many areas as well.
                  But I'm telling you it's new tennis courts that the people want, not ice and glass.

Comment

http://uahhockey.com/blog/2014/02/02/krach-schedule-2/

It turns out that Ferris-Mankato-BG are in (I'll probably sit down and do a best-worst analysis this week) and solidly in place. It looks like Northern will get to host a playoff series: 10 games left really helps them. UAH plays the current #6-9 teams, and any slip-ups could mean that they miss the playoffs, as just three points separate fifth (28) and 8th/9th (25), where I currently have Alaska finishing, BUT I will need to apply the WCHA's tiebreakers if that happens, and I don't want to try to apply that based on the suppositions that I'm making. It does look like they'll be needed, though.

Sorry, Nanooks fan. I'm just going with the numbers.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      http://uahhockey.com/blog/2014/02/02/krach-schedule-2/

It turns out that Ferris-Mankato-BG are in (I'll probably sit down and do a best-worst analysis this week) and solidly in place. It looks like Northern will get to host a playoff series: 10 games left really helps them. UAH plays the current #6-9 teams, and any slip-ups could mean that they miss the playoffs, as just three points separate fifth (28) and 8th/9th (25), where I currently have Alaska finishing, BUT I will need to apply the WCHA's tiebreakers if that happens, and I don't want to try to apply that based on the suppositions that I'm making. It does look like they'll be needed, though.

Sorry, Nanooks fan. I'm just going with the numbers.

GFM
                      Nothing to be sorry about. You won't find a Nook fan who isn't disappointed with this season.
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Geof don't take this the wrong way but your Chargers sure are making the WCHA standings a mess in the middle. I really feel that more than ever, its going to come down to who got 4 chances at UAH.
                        If you go by win percentage and ignore games against UAH, Michigan Tech would be 3rd at 8-8-4.
                        Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 02-03-2014, 01:26 PM.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Geoff don't take this the wrong way but your Chargers sure are making the WCHA standings a mess in the middle. I really feel that more than ever, its going to come down to who got 4 chances at UAH.
                          If you go by win percentage and ignore games against UAH, Michigan Tech would be 3rd at 8-8-4.
                          We have eight more chances to make it more of a mess, too. [There's no way we can make Mankato fall out of 2nd on our own, and probably not at all.]

GFM <— does take getting his name spelled the wrong way to be a problem, though ...
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

haha, at least I didn't say Jeff
                            I never really thought this conference would be so bunch from 3-9. All are within a sweep of .500 and 3 games of each other by win %. As I said...alot of that is probably due to 2 teams rising to the top, and 1 team sinking to the bottom. I would have thought it'd be a little more stratified but I guess thats the nature of the new conference with a team like UAA getting new life under a new staff (Granted they are currently the biggest benefactor from games vs UAH, going 3-0-1)
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              We have eight more chances to make it more of a mess, too. [There's no way we can make Mankato fall out of 2nd on our own, and probably not at all.]

GFM <— does take getting his name spelled the wrong way to be a problem, though ...
                              I'd love to see you mess up the standings as much as possible. Just wait until after this week. And sweep the hell out of northern.
                              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

BUT your methodology isn't fair, even if it is appealing to you. The teams that don't play UAH twice aren't necessarily getting an easier go of it otherwise, and there are more externalities to consider: who plays Ferris only twice? Mankato? Unbalanced schedules hurt everyone, and in this case, they do help all teams save BG and Anchorage (but especially BG).

I said this on Twitter, but I'd propose replacing all games against UAH with splits, which would be a neutral opponent and the most common WCHA result this year. That takes the scheduling effect out.

I know, you say that W% is where it's at, and I disagree.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X