UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    So it is ok in your mind for your ad to say we have always sucked so be it. And that, well we are just happy nobody is in jail at this point. ???

Never thought I would see Chuck very much agree with an athletic department with this mentality. Oh well, guess we have to get used to the new Chuck.
    It is embarrassing to see a rep of my alma mater talking like that on a public radio show! So all D-1 hoop players are hoodlums now?
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
      Aerman - have to disagree with you regarding Huddleston. While I admit to having a bit of a dog in this hunt, I am able to objectively look at many of the macro-level things that have been done or will be done on his watch... A MUCH stronger engagement with the alumni base, expanding past the obvious Boston base to NYC, CHi, DC, SF, etc.; delivery of PTP; the new Comms school to be delivered; steering UNH through the continued tightening of the belt with the State's education financing; introduction of the joint FP law degree; Cowell upgrades, etc. etc.

In my interactions with him, I come away convinced about his positive intent, every time. I don't sense anything but a huge commitment to building a state university along the lines of a UVA, or a UNC. He has some pretty high aspirations for the school, and I'm pretty enthused about the direction.

THAT STATED, I can enumerate many instances where those macro-level successes get obscured by UNH (not necessarily specifically Huddleston) incidents and decisions that just absolutely leave me shaking my head, the logo one being the most obvious one recently (I don't want to include coach m until all the details come out - reserving judgment, save for the horrific headline verbiage used). Unfortunately, those very public, seemingly unnecessary gaffes end up diminishing some of the tremendous progress that has been made on his (and others, like Innis, etc.) watch.

Anyhoo, don't want to appear a shill for the university, but I hope that we are able to recognize the fairly sizable results that have been delivered over the past few years.
      DC, I find your whole approach to this discussion shockingly offensive, what with your attempt to be objective and interject facts!

On balance, you are probably right that Huddleston is doing well by the University. Like everyone in the system, he doesn't have a lot to work with. What troubles me is that his objective to turn UNH into a UVA/UNC (if that be the case) seems to be at the expense of its traditional identity. Don't know if he sees it or not, but the logo mess seems more like an attempt to excise the past rather than move into some bright future.

And as long as we're tossing around UVA and UNC, am I to believe that Ralph Sampson and Michael Jordan had the same academic credentials upon entry as their pre-law candidates?

I guess Huddleston can stay a bit longer, but he's on thin ice with me Next year's Christmas card better be equal, or better
      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

So it is ok in your mind for your ad to say we have always sucked so be it. And that, well we are just happy nobody is in jail at this point. ???

Never thought I would see Chuck very much agree with an athletic department with this mentality. Oh well, guess we have to get used to the new Chuck.
        Not sure what your reading comprehension skills might be - not impressive if somehow you've taken my comments as support of BS35, as opposed to commenting on the "blind leading the blind" nature of the interview between some nobody schmuck at the most distant outpost of ESPN imaginable, and a delusional AD who probably thought he was heading into a "let's talk football" puff piece about his powers of persuasion in keeping Coach McDonnell on board last week.

Just to recap from yesterday's "theater of the absurd" ...

* There is actually an ESPN New Hampshire. Really.
        * ESPN NH gets the UNH AD on the phone for 20+ minutes in January to talk ... men's hoops? As in "dozens of friends and relatives in attendance at the Lundholm HS Gymnasium" UNH Men's Hoops juggernaut program??
        * The ESPN guy is an alleged college basketball savant from UMass who seems blissfully unaware that one of his sport's most dynamic players ever played at his school. While BS35 can't even remember the name of his program's best ever Men's Hoops player, but that's OK 'cuz neither can the alleged UMass savant ... even though said player transferred from to UNH from UMass.
        * BS35's comments in attempting to defend the situation and *level of success* with the Men's Hoops program WERE embarassing. I'm sure all three (3) UNH alums who caught the interview live were rightfully shocked and disappointed.
        * As much credit as I'd like to give the ESPN college hoops junkie for putting BS35 on the spot about Men's Hoops ... he gave BS35 a virtual tongue-bath on Football (arguably deserved) and Men's Hockey (clearly not aware UNH is not quite the "national power" these days as they'd been a decade or so ago). And he whiffed totally on the most compelling AD-related competency issue on campus at this moment. Kind of like doing a Governor Christie interview yesterday, roasting him on why's he's overweight, but failing to put him on the spot about that bridge shut-down thingie. A shocking lack of awareness from the interviewer.

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
        And as long as we're tossing around UVA and UNC, am I to believe that Ralph Sampson and Michael Jordan had the same academic credentials upon entry as their pre-law candidates?
        Maybe not ... but I'm sure Lawrence Taylor did.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Not sure what your reading comprehension skills might be - not impressive if somehow you've taken my comments as support of BS35, as opposed to commenting on the "blind leading the blind" nature of the interview between some nobody schmuck at the most distant outpost of ESPN imaginable, and a delusional AD who probably thought he was heading into a "let's talk football" puff piece about his powers of persuasion in keeping Coach McDonnell on board last week.

Just to recap from yesterday's "theater of the absurd" ...

* There is actually an ESPN New Hampshire. Really.
          * ESPN NH gets the UNH AD on the phone for 20+ minutes in January to talk ... men's hoops? As in "dozens of friends and relatives in attendance at the Lundholm HS Gymnasium" UNH Men's Hoops juggernaut program??
          * The ESPN guy is an alleged college basketball savant from UMass who seems blissfully unaware that one of his sport's most dynamic players ever played at his school. While BS35 can't even remember the name of his program's best ever Men's Hoops player, but that's OK 'cuz neither can the alleged UMass savant ... even though said player transferred from to UNH from UMass.
          * BS35's comments in attempting to defend the situation and *level of success* with the Men's Hoops program WERE embarassing. I'm sure all three (3) UNH alums who caught the interview live were rightfully shocked and disappointed.
          * As much credit as I'd like to give the ESPN college hoops junkie for putting BS35 on the spot about Men's Hoops ... he gave BS35 a virtual tongue-bath on Football (arguably deserved) and Men's Hockey (clearly not aware UNH is not quite the "national power" these days as they'd been a decade or so ago). And he whiffed totally on the most compelling AD-related competency issue on campus at this moment. Kind of like doing a Governor Christie interview yesterday, roasting him on why's he's overweight, but failing to put him on the spot about that bridge shut-down thingie. A shocking lack of awareness from the interviewer.

Maybe not ... but I'm sure Lawrence Taylor did.
          This broadcaster had gone on a rant over the weekend about UNH hoops so it was well known by Marty that he was going on to talk basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
            This broadcaster had gone on a rant over the weekend about UNH hoops so it was well known by Marty that he was going on to talk basketball.
            Is he the only broadcaster in the state who gives a rat's you-know-what about UNH Hoops?

He'd have gotten better ratings by interviewing the Alvirne HS JV ski team coach ferchrissakes ...

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
              DC, I find your whole approach to this discussion shockingly offensive, what with your attempt to be objective and interject facts!

On balance, you are probably right that Huddleston is doing well by the University. Like everyone in the system, he doesn't have a lot to work with. What troubles me is that his objective to turn UNH into a UVA/UNC (if that be the case) seems to be at the expense of its traditional identity. Don't know if he sees it or not, but the logo mess seems more like an attempt to excise the past rather than move into some bright future.

I guess Huddleston can stay a bit longer, but he's on thin ice with me Next year's Christmas card better be equal, or better
              Love it! Good point regarding the past/future. I see some of that as well.
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Is he the only broadcaster in the state who gives a rat's you-know-what about UNH Hoops?

He'd have gotten better ratings by interviewing the Alvirne HS JV ski team coach ferchrissakes ...
                Funny part is one of Gawker's blogs ran it yesterday so it is getting some play out there.

http://betspin.kinja.com/new-hampshi...n-i-1501520863

Comment

Basketball actually won tonight - and with only 7 players (5 starters, 2 subs). 3rd sub went down to injury during pre-game warm-ups.
                  "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                  Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                  NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                  EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                  AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                  1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                    Basketball actually won tonight - and with only 7 players (5 starters, 2 subs). 3rd sub went down to injury during pre-game warm-ups.
                    So, if I understand this correctly, basketball is the promise and future of UNH athletics. I read your comment. I understand the unusual high end media focus these days in Durham with all things basketball. I understand the mentality and words of one of UNH's most staunch supporters of the UNH AD and associated athletics department... Chuck Murray. All of these things add up to a wonderful focus on basketball! Outstanding.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

gotta love the UNH vs.UMBC basketball box score last night......Attendance 0...... that's right, Marty....0.......is it possible to have negative attendance?????

Comment

• Originally posted by Czarry View Post
                        gotta love the UNH vs.UMBC basketball box score last night......Attendance 0...... that's right, Marty....0.......is it possible to have negative attendance?????
                        Henrion is so bad he's making Friel look good They're so bad not even the parents go to the games
                        Last edited by e.cat; 01-16-2014, 08:27 AM.
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          Henrion is so bad he's making Friel look good They're so bad not even the parents go to the games
                          Here's all you have to know about UNH hoops and the sham league they are in. UMass-Lowell is a brand new entrant in the league and to D1. Up to now they have been D2. Allegedly there is a world of difference between D2 and D1, right? Then how come UML is able to win their third conference game this season (now 3-1) while UNH continues to wallow away in the far reaches of D1. I got a first hand report of the Binghamton-UNH game from a week or so ago. My reporter seemed to think that there were several high schools in the Binghamton area that would give UNH a game.

I've mentioned this a couple of times before, but int he mid-80's Sports Illustrated did a piece on the futility of UNH men's basketball and the fact that the school kept Friel at the helm. Here we are 30 years later and I would guess that SI or some other media outlet is about to reprise the article.

And BTW, it is Herrion not Henrion. Recent grad John should not dissed in such a manner. Which brings me to another question. How come Scarano lets Herrion get away with dressing like a slob on the bench? Slovenly in dress, I say, breeds slovenly in actions.

Comment

So, if I understand this correctly, basketball is the promise and future of UNH athletics. I read your comment. I understand the unusual high end media focus these days in Durham with all things basketball. I understand the mentality and words of one of UNH's most staunch supporters of the UNH AD and associated athletics department... Chuck Murray. All of these things add up to a wonderful focus on basketball! Outstanding.

Really made us work hard to get to that at the bottom, eh?

Does anyone else remember how long it's been since UNH Hoops abandoned playing any home games at The Whitt? Pretty sure it predated BS35's regime, but it's hard to imagine (1) it ever happened in the first place, and (2) barring a recurrence of the Matt Bonner/Florida one-off(s), seeing it happen again anytime soon.

Unless maybe that kid at ESPN Henniker pitches another rant to get the other 3 UNH Hoops junkies all riled up.

Useless trivia for the day: I believe The Whitt inherited the basketball goals (i.e. backboards/rims/supports/shot clocks) from the old Boston Garden when the Celtics moved to the then-Fleet Center.

I know we have a *huge* hoops contingent here at USCHO, maybe one of you folks can confirm?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              Here's all you have to know about UNH hoops and the sham league they are in. UMass-Lowell is a brand new entrant in the league and to D1. Up to now they have been D2. Allegedly there is a world of difference between D2 and D1, right? Then how come UML is able to win their third conference game this season (now 3-1) while UNH continues to wallow away in the far reaches of D1. I got a first hand report of the Binghamton-UNH game from a week or so ago. My reporter seemed to think that there were several high schools in the Binghamton area that would give UNH a game.

I've mentioned this a couple of times before, but int he mid-80's Sports Illustrated did a piece on the futility of UNH men's basketball and the fact that the school kept Friel at the helm. Here we are 30 years later and I would guess that SI or some other media outlet is about to reprise the article.

And BTW, it is Herrion not Henrion. Recent grad John should not dissed in such a manner. Which brings me to another question. How come Scarano lets Herrion get away with dressing like a slob on the bench? Slovenly in dress, I say, breeds slovenly in actions.
                              My bad on the Herrion v. Henrion. Apologies to John for sure

Not surprised about UML. My cousin, a UNH grad BTW, works for UML in fundraising and is close to Marty Meehan. He says they are doing a lot of great things there. I've been impressed with Meehan for a long time. The guy is a winner and getting it done for UML.
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Czarry View Post
                                Just because they report 0 attendance on the stat sheet (which they have done many times before, BTW) does not mean no one was at the game. Obviously, there were "some spectators" watching the game:

game highlights
                                UNH

Comment

Working...
                                X