UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by prideofthecats View Post
    Look I am sorry I cannot say exactly what happened out of respect for the university and the girls on the team. I am just a student who is friends with a lot of girls on the team. I only commented on this thread because I was surprised how many people were accusing the girls of lying, etc. I GUARANTEE you would have no problem with the university's decision if you knew what happened on the bench during the game and its repercussions afterward. I honestly wish I could just tell you all what happened so that I could stop being yelled at also. Don't you think he would have to do something severe to be fired after 20 years of coaching? Again, I apologize that I cannot say what happened even though most of you won't believe what I'm saying.
    Don't apologize. The majority of these clowns have never played a minute of organized hockey and know nothing about the game. If they are not complaining they are not happy. I also know what happened but you will never convince the peanut gallery that the firing was absolutely the right thing to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
      Don't apologize. The majority of these clowns have never played a minute of organized hockey and know nothing about the game. If they are not complaining they are not happy. I also know what happened but you will never convince the peanut gallery that the firing was absolutely the right thing to do.
      Whoa, hold up.... Easy on the generalizations.

Putting myself out there as an example...

1. I've never played a minute of organized hockey (sincere apologies, but that happens in a household where the dad is a basketball coach - a good friend of Gerry Friel and Bob Berry's). In fact, I can barely skate forward. That stated, 4 years of Snively got me totally hooked on the sport and 25 years later, I'm fairly certain I could hold my own in most hockey circles.

2. I'm also willing to bet that whatever happened, one's level of hockey expertise would probably be meaningless in forming an opinion on the matter.

3. In an earlier response to Aerman, I acknowledged that I was withholding judgment until the facts came out, save for the crappy headline.

Please leave your generalizations out of this.

Sincerely,

A non-hockey-playing "clown"
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by prideofthecats View Post
        Look I am sorry I cannot say exactly what happened out of respect for the university and the girls on the team. I am just a student who is friends with a lot of girls on the team. I only commented on this thread because I was surprised how many people were accusing the girls of lying, etc. I GUARANTEE you would have no problem with the university's decision if you knew what happened on the bench during the game and its repercussions afterward. I honestly wish I could just tell you all what happened so that I could stop being yelled at also. Don't you think he would have to do something severe to be fired after 20 years of coaching? Again, I apologize that I cannot say what happened even though most of you won't believe what I'm saying.
        I'm not sure anyone is "accusing the girls of lying". I've specifically avoided even mentioning a single UNH Women's player by name in any of my postings - much less the key figure at the center of the controversy - and I think most (if not all) of the other posters here have used similar restraint. We understand there is a line none of us want to cross. But rest assured, you are not the only person on this thread who has the benefit of what one might feel is accurate "inside information" from multiple sources close to the situation.

As far as the "repercussions afterward" ... if you're trying to claim that ANYTHING rises to the level of a highly-respected coach being let go, and then having to face truly frightening "repercussions" as created by the ham-handed UNH press release issued by BS35 ... well, I'm sorry but you're going to have to go some way to convince me of that.

I do agree the question that's always begged for an answer is whether Coach's actions were sufficiently egregious to support letting him go. I've thought from Day One that this was "too convenient" ... BS35 saw an opportunity, and took it. Almost everything I've since learned has supported my initial conclusion. Your information is leading you to a different conclusion than my information has led me. That happens sometimes.

We've all had an opportunity to see the information that was posted at Foster's recently, which (while admittedly coming from Coach's standpoint) has yet to be refuted by anyone, and jibes with info I've come across from multiple reliable sources. Are you disagreeing with any of the following factual issues?

* The player in question had a long history of disciplinary issues going back to last season;
        * The player in question was brought back this season only due to institutional issues (i.e. BS35) arising from low roster numbers and Title IX implications;
        * The player in question was outwardly disrespectful and profane towards Coach immediately prior to the incident;
        * The "incident" itself involved ONLY a harsh seating of the same player, and not something sexually inappropriate

And for what it's worth ... word on the grapevine is there was a meeting between BS35 and the FOWH board earlier this week, at which the current AD failed to convince most of the board away from their pro-McCloskey stance to date. I've gotten additional details on the meeting which I've not yet confirmed beyond the hearsay level, so they won't be posted here (yet), but overall the info has re-affirmed my initial conclusions.

No one is yelling at you ... and I don't think anyone is accusing the players of lying, while we are all being very careful not to name any UNH player names. Unfortunately only Coach McCloskey ever gets named, but that comes with the territory in coaching young student-athletes, and in fairness Coach and BS35 are the only persons involved in this sorry saga drawing a paycheck, so that's fair enough.

So ... do you disagree with any of the four factual points I've outlined above, and if so, which one(s)?
        Last edited by Chuck Murray; 01-18-2014, 10:49 AM.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          I'm not sure anyone is "accusing the girls of lying". I've specifically avoided even mentioning a single UNH Women's player by name in any of my postings - much less the key figure at the center of the controversy - and I think most (if not all) of the other posters here have used similar restraint. We understand there is a line none of us want to cross. But rest assured, you are not the only person on this thread who has the benefit of what one might feel is accurate "inside information" from multiple sources close to the situation.

As far as the "repercussions afterward" ... if you're trying to claim that ANYTHING rises to the level of a highly-respected coach being let go, and then having to face truly frightening "repercussions" as created by the ham-handed UNH press release issued by BS35 ... well, I'm sorry but you're going to have to go some way to convince me of that.

I do agree the question that's always begged for an answer is whether Coach's actions were sufficiently egregious to support letting him go. I've thought from Day One that this was "too convenient" ... BS35 saw an opportunity, and took it. Almost everything I've since learned has supported my initial conclusion. Your information is leading you to a different conclusion than my information has led me. That happens sometimes.

We've all had an opportunity to see the information that was posted at Foster's recently, which (while admittedly coming from Coach's standpoint) has yet to be refuted by anyone, and jibes with info I've come across from multiple reliable sources. Are you disagreeing with any of the following factual issues?

* The player in question had a long history of disciplinary issues going back to last season;
          * The player in question was brought back this season only due to institutional issues (i.e. BS35) arising from low roster numbers and Title IX implications;
          * The player in question was outwardly disrespectful and profane towards Coach immediately prior to the incident;
          * The "incident" itself involved ONLY a harsh seating of the same player, and not something sexually inappropriate

And for what it's worth ... word on the grapevine is there was a meeting between BS35 and the FOWH board earlier this week, at which the current AD failed to convince most of the board away from their pro-McCloskey stance to date. I've gotten additional details on the meeting which I've not yet confirmed beyond the hearsay level, so they won't be posted here (yet), but overall the info has re-affirmed my initial conclusions.

No one is yelling at you ... and I don't think anyone is accusing the players of lying, while we are all being very careful not to name any UNH player names. Unfortunately only Coach McCloskey ever gets named, but that comes with the territory in coaching young student-athletes, and in fairness Coach and BS35 are the only persons involved in this sorry saga drawing a paycheck, so that's fair enough.

So ... do you disagree with any of the four factual points I've outlined above, and if so, which one(s)?

Ok so this is the last thing I am going to say about the matter. The issue is between the school and the coach and it isn't anyone else's business.

Your first two points:
          "a long history of disciplinary issues going back to last season"
          "The player in question was brought back this season only due to institutional issues (i.e. BS35) arising from low roster numbers and Title IX implications"

1. I would not consider this person to have a "long history" of disciplinary issues. End of story.
          2. I don't know where you got this from. Players are kept or let go for various reasons and those reasons are between the coach and player.

Most importantly, this has NOTHING to do with the incident or why he was fired.

As for your third point, players yelling back at the coach is not unusual. Regardless of what she said (which was not that bad anyway), it was not deserving of his response.

Regarding your final point, yes the contact was not sexually inappropriate. The school said "inappropriate PHYSICAL contact". The "incident" was not a harsh seating of a player. It was very physical and violent. I am actually surprised charges were not pressed by the family or school.

As for this:
          "But rest assured, you are not the only person on this thread who has the benefit of what one might feel is accurate "inside information" from multiple sources close to the situation"
          I'm sure you do have your sources (good or bad), but I am very good friends with several of these girls and have direct contact with them every day. I know what I am talking about and I know what happened. They all know exactly what happened, so it's not "inside information", it's just the truth.

You ladies and gents can keep arguing about this for as long as you want, but I am done talking about it. Goodbye

Comment

• Originally posted by prideofthecats View Post
            Ok so this is the last thing I am going to say about the matter. The issue is between the school and the coach and it isn't anyone else's business.

Your first two points:
            "The player in question was brought back this season only due to institutional issues (i.e. BS35) arising from low roster numbers and Title IX implications"

1. I would not consider this person to have a "long history" of disciplinary issues. End of story.
            2. I don't know where you got this from. Players are kept or let go for various reasons and those reasons are between the coach and player.

As for your third point, players yelling back at the coach is not unusual. Regardless of what she said (which was not that bad anyway), it was not deserving of his response.

Regarding your final point, yes the contact was not sexually inappropriate. The school said "inappropriate PHYSICAL contact". The "incident" was not a harsh seating of a player. It was very physical and violent. I am actually surprised charges were not pressed by the family or school.

As for this:
            "But rest assured, you are not the only person on this thread who has the benefit of what one might feel is accurate "inside information" from multiple sources close to the situation"
            I'm sure you do have your sources (good or bad), but I am very good friends with several of these girls and have direct contact with them every day. I know what I am talking about and I know what happened. They all know exactly what happened, so it's not "inside information", it's just the truth.

You ladies and gents can keep arguing about this for as long as you want, but I am done talking about it. Goodbye
            Thanks for bringing nothing to this situation! Good job Marty!
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
              Thanks for bringing nothing to this situation! Good job Marty!
              Prideofthecats and Scarano should ride out of town on the same horse.... They are both misinformed and both very, very, confused...

Comment

Pretty sad responses from prideofthecats and GoUNH. A level of immaturity and contradiction I haven't seen on these threads in a long time. I typically find the comments from posters such as Chuck Murray and wildcatdc and others to be insightful, witty and worthy of good debate. I'm sure that a full inspection of this situation will bear out their comments to be factual and true as opposed to the revisionist history that pride and GoUNH are trying to write.

Comment

Your first two points:

As for this:

Why don't you just describe this "incident" in detail then instead of just talking about. If you were there and saw it then I don't think that would be violating the trust you have with friends on the team or disrespecting the school. If you weren't there you could still enlighten us. It's not some top secret event if it happened on the bench and in plain view for anyone in attendance to see.

Comment

The Men's basketball team continues to impress with their 60-43 loss to Hartford at home...

Comment

With all due respect ... that's the position BS35 has taken. But if you are an alum or a supporter of the UNH Women's Hockey program OR (like myself) are a supporter of UNH Men's Hockey who has held the work of Coach McCloskey in that program a decade or so ago in the highest regard ... I think everyone who supports UNH Hockey (and UNH in a more general sense) has a right to know what actually happened, and how this was (mis)handled. Just because certain people in the AD's office want this to go away quietly to serve their own self-interests doesn't mean everyone/anyone has to just take them at their word. You do understand that, correct?

Your first two points:

Actually, most of this info is contained in the items that Foster's released with Coach McCloskey's story recently. Having said that, I'd gotten most of this info separately from other sources before it ran in Foster's. Check further down in this thread, and/or do a Google search on "Foster's McCloskey" for the necessary links, read up, and understand this is all out in the public domain already.

So says you. Others see this as arising from a situation where Coach was encouraged to keep the player in the program despite having misgivings, and then when the player acted up (again), Coach's boss got a bad case of amnesia, and failed to back him in a disciplinary issue with same same player, who arguably was only still in the program due to institutional (BS35) intervention.

Wow ... what a sad commentary on what is seen as acceptable player communication with a coach.

So you are now saying you think this was a CRIMINAL act? And all the while, either you or your source(s) saw this terribly "violent" act and did not report it immediately to campus police, Durham Police, and/or the NH State Police?

Holy Libel, Batman!! I guess being anonymous kinda helps you escape that one, eh?

Unless you saw the event in question with your own eyes, what you have at best is hearsay. Frankly, all I have is hearsay as well, but the information I've gathered has come from various sources - several with first-hand info, not all necessarily on the same "side", and it has been amazingly consistent on the key points. So I find it credible at this point. It's why I asked you the various questions last time around, to give you an opportunity to share information from your perspective. You have mostly chosen not to give anything more than a "I'm an anonymous poster, these are my first 3 posts ever at USCHO, I know what I'm talking about, trust me."

That's a pretty big ask. I hope you understand that. I'm not saying you have anything but the purest of intentions, and are probably sticking up for your friends, at least as you see it. But it's fair game when you choose to be anonymous that folks might question your motive AND your information. Not providing further info is your right and perogative, but it doesn't help your credibility. That's life.

Why is it that I keep having this effect on posters??

FWIW ... despite my own thoughts and opinions, I'm pretty sure a majority of posters who are reading along here are still withholding judgment on this incident. And I'm wide open to receiving additional info and insights on this. I'd prefer you and/or others who might have valuable credible insight on the other side of the issue keep engaged in the discussion. Your call. Regardless, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Fwiw, two days after the story broke about Mac's firing, Coach Wood publicly posted on Facebook his support, thanks, and admiration for all that Mac did/does. Seems that whatever the nature of the incident, it doesn't seem like Coach Wood felt it to be so obviously egregious.
                        113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                          Fwiw, two days after the story broke about Mac's firing, Coach Wood publicly posted on Facebook his support, thanks, and admiration for all that Mac did/does. Seems that whatever the nature of the incident, it doesn't seem like Coach Wood felt it to be so obviously egregious.
                          Excellent point. Let me guess ... *somebody* suggested he take it down quickly ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Excellent point. Let me guess ... *somebody* suggested he take it down quickly ...
                            Still up on Mac's Facebook last I knew.
                            113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                              Still up on Mac's Facebook last I knew.
                              (Too) vague reference to the disappearance of an informative thread on the Women's Hockey forum. Sorry.

Comment

I have read the last few days of comments, and will offer my FACTS and opinions.

Facts:
                                1) There is only one name that has been brought forth to me as having been at the game as a spectator, and witnessed the game from the seats behind the bench, who says he saw the whole incident. I was told this by a third party.

2) I was at the whole game, stayed with friends and family afterward to watch Skate With the Cats, and had friends who skated with the 'Cats. No one heard or made mention of an incident.

3) I was emailed by another fan after the firing became public, and asked if I could clarify what happened with regard to the press release. When I responded, I got a reply in which he indicated that he was seated directly behind the bench and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

4)Despite the fact that the game was televised, and also recorded by the team for review, there is not a single bit of footage that shows anything amiss on the bench.

5)The incident took place during a change on the fly. Anyone who has ever played, or watched a change on the fly, knows that is is easily the most chaotic part of the game. There were 15 skaters dressed, and the player in question did not execute the play in the neutral zone immediately prior to the change correctly, which resulted in a NZ turnover, and nearly a too many men call, as players coming on and off the ice got jammed and tangled at the bench. Coach Mac was trying to verbally correct the player, the other 4 of the skaters on the ice were busy getting off the ice, while 5 were jumping on. Coaches Wood and Jones were running the D and forwards. and at that moment in time, were likely occupied. That leaves a possible 5 players, and maybe a goaltender (only one was on the bench, as the third was injured) to see what happened. The incident did not last for that long.

6) There was a meeting between the player, the captains, a player close to the other player, and the coaches after the game, in which they all discussed the incident. i have heard from a very reliable source that emails were sent from at least one player to Coach Mac thanking him for addressing and resolving the issue.

7) Every player and coach that was on the bench for the Saturday (incident) game, was on the bench in their official capacity as players and coaches on Sunday. In FACT, I saw Coach Mac in the coaches office while the team was warming up, and he was calmly reviewing game notes, and conversational as normal.

8) As admitted by the AD himself. the matter was not even brought to his attention until Monday

9) There were players who wanted to meet with the Administration and President in Coach Mac's defense. who were denied their request.

OPINION:
                                1) Regardless of what actually happened, and where the case will lead in the courts, the University issued a terribly misleading press release. I was told numerous times by the "powers that be" that the release was very carefully worded. Go to the USCHO cafe and start a couple of Word Association threads. Start one with "inappropriate physical contact", and another with "altercation on the bench" and tell me which leads to the right conclusion, and which takes a tour of the gutter. I am not in communications, nor do I have an English degree, but it took me about 4 seconds to come up with a more accurate, less misleading, and therefore less damaging phrase.

I was also told that despite 35 years of experience, the AD had no way to know how the press and media would use the press release. Hmmm, learn much along the way?

2) The deed has been done, and the future as relates to this incident is in the hands of the lawyers. What remains is a hockey team and coaching staff that has to figure out how to compartmentalize, put their differences and emotions aside, and win as many games as they can between now, and hopefully March. There are probably even more than two sides to this story, but the one constant is that the team, regardless of who sides with whom, has to move forward.
                                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Working...
                                X