Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MTU @ UA_ - Wait... We Aren't North Enough Yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
    We are the plane at tubes international right now. Planing on Chena one of the days. Anything else that's a must see?
    Chena is always great, especially if it's a clear night and the auroras are out.

As for other stuff, depends on what you are in to. The UAF Museum of the North is one of the top rated attractions in the state. I don't think LARS (Large Animal Research Station) does tours in the winter, but you can inquire at the University. Santa Claus House in North Pole is a tourist trap, but if you have young kids you can find some good Christmas-themed gifts for them. Yukon Quest headquarters are on 1st Ave downtown...if you want to know more about dog mushing and the Yukon Quest (generally considered the toughest race of its kind in the world), that's the place to do it.

Denali Park is about two hours south, but access is limited in the winter.

HooDoo Brewing and Silver Gulch are great spots to grab some brews. Skinny Dick's is worth the drive if you are into cheap beer and logo wear of two bears humping.

In the unlikely event you brought skis or snowshoes, the UAF campus encompasses over 2,000 acres and has an extensive trail network.

As for eats, in no order: Lavelle's Bistro, Turtle Club (really), Pumphouse, and any of the Thai restaurants (don't ask me why, but for whatever reason Fairbanks has really good Thai food). For an awesome piece of pie, check out Hilltop Truck Stop on the Elliott Highway north of town.

Check out any of the transfer stations and you might find Alaska Hockey incognito.

Also, the Face Off Club has its weekly luncheon at the Alpine Lodge on Friday. Ferguson and Pearson will both speak.

And generally speaking, ignore anything Anchorage people say about Fairbanks. It's a small town with friendly people that doesn't take itself too seriously. Have fun.
    Last edited by Squarebanks; 11-28-2013, 05:26 PM.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Re: MTU @ UA_ - Wait... We Aren't North Enough Yet?

We are the plane at tubes international right now. Planing on Chena one of the days. Anything else that's a must see?
      The Pipeline (stop and get in the pics you take) on your way to Silver Gulch brewery , Chena Pump House wax recordings up high on the wall, the museum at UA_ is worth your time. Northern Lights should be pretty good. Probably don't have your swimsuits along so Fred Meyer cheap shorts will work for Chena Hot springs. Unless you don't know what a dogs butt looks like skip the dog sled ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        Check out any of the transfer stations and you might find Alaska Hockey incognito.
        I have watched people haul in a ½ load and leave overloaded ……..It’s the dump people, not a gift exchange
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
          I have watched people haul in a ½ load and leave overloaded ……..It’s the dump people, not a gift exchange
          Uh-oh…when you get your parcel post from Fairbanks remember it's the thought that counts.

Comment

So, which one of you knuckleheads planted the technological flag on the Charles Bunnell statue?
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
              You know more about the Fairbanks dump than anyone else I know. I'm actually impressed.

Comment

Couple of previews:

http://m.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_na....html?mode=jqm

http://alaskananooks.com/news/2013/1...x?path=mhockey

Comment

So, which one of you knuckleheads planted the technological flag on the Charles Bunnell statue?
                  No idea what you are talking about...

His hand fit it perfectly
                  MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

No idea what you are talking about...

His hand fit it perfectly
                    Hey, I thought it was funny! Better colors than split pea green and **** yellow.

Comment

Live chat.
                      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                        Uh-oh…when you get your parcel post from Fairbanks remember it's the thought that counts.
                        I hope your not too economical or lethargic to go out to Santa Clause House and at least get a North Pole cancellation on it? But for you to part with it …it will be special.
                        Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 11-30-2013, 01:37 AM.
                        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Hey, I thought it was funny! Better colors than split pea green and **** yellow.
                          Agreed.

Comment

Good time at the game tongight! Apparently we were too loud during play and were told we could only play during breaks...
                            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Good time at the game tongight! Apparently we were too loud during play and were told we could only play during breaks...
                              Sounds about right for the Carlson Center.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

We had the security guy laughing so it was all good

Comment

Working...
                                X