Miami @ UNO, 11-22 & 11-23, Another CCHA Redeuax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami @ UNO, 11-22 & 11-23, Another CCHA Redeuax

Geez, Redhawk fans, you can't hate us enough to remember (and start this thread yourselves) that the last time we played you (in 2010), you were the #1 team in the country, and that you got punked? In your own building? I guess we are too inconsequential since we are 7-17-3 all time against you.

This will be fun like playing Michigan was last weekend. Frankly, I miss the CCHA.

We'll see if Enrico Blasi becomes the 4th opposing coach in a row to say, "We had a hard time skating with them", or, words to that effect, about UNO.

That said, I think Miami might be the most formidable foe we have faced this season, to-date.

I reserve the right to be wrong about that.

Re: Miami @ UNO, 11-22 & 11-23, Another CCHA Redeuax

This article just posted. Enrico somewhat shivering in his shoes while blowing smoke:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013112...131129589/1707
    Although unranked, we are apparently "as good as any team in the country"

Film at 11 on Saturday night.

Comment

Red Birds vs. Red Cows. Should be a fun one.

After watching the majority of your Friday night game vs. Michigan last weekend it was very evident you guys have top end speed. With the team Rico has put together I think Miami is a very similar type of team offensively. Obviously, special teams will play a big part this weekend and Miami really needs to take advantage of UNO's very susceptible penalty kill.

I see UNO uses NeuLion for their online streaming. Hopefully I do not encounter the problems I do with Miami's feed, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Missed over half of the first period of Saturday's game due to #ConnectionError.
      2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        I guess we are too inconsequential since we are 7-17-3 all time against you.

This will be fun like playing Michigan was last weekend. Frankly, I miss the CCHA.

We'll see if Enrico Blasi becomes the 4th opposing coach in a row to say, "We had a hard time skating with them", or, words to that effect, about UNO.

That said, I think Miami might be the most formidable foe we have faced this season, to-date.

This is funny. UNO: The Rodney Dangerfields of NCAA hockey.

Comment

Geez, Redhawk fans, you can't hate us enough to remember (and start this thread yourselves) that the last time we played you (in 2010), you were the #1 team in the country, and that you got punked? In your own building?
          Robert Morris swept us a month earlier, get on their level.

Comment

For anybody that wants to watch the game, live, freebie, this is a UNO game that Nebraska Public Television is televising statewide here and they will also be streaming it on their web site:

http://www.netnebraska.org/basic-pag...ion/television

Enjoy!

Comment

This article just posted. Enrico somewhat shivering in his shoes while blowing smoke:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013112...131129589/1707
              Although unranked, we are apparently "as good as any team in the country"

Film at 11 on Saturday night.
              Nah the reporter just had a typo between blasi and blais

Comment

Tale of the periods tonight.

Miami won the first period, then.........

The last time I can for sure remember UNO getting 5 in a period was in the 2nd period of our first ever game at the Ralph, which UNO won 8-4, the worst beating ever put on North Dakota in that building.

I'd be hard pressed to name the last UNO game I saw, in general, where 7 goals were scored in any one period.

One thing I was struck by tonight is that Miami does not have a very big team.

I saw a live interview with Coach Blais on local television, in the arena, between the first and second periods, where he said he thought Miami was the first team we've played he thought could skate with us.

2 more power play goals allowed by UNO. Sheesh. Our penalty kill absolutely blows.

I think this just wasn't Miami's night since they got about every bad bounce there was. I really think they will acquit themselves better tomorrow night. They looked very good in the 1st period. Somehow, the wheels came off after that. I've seen them on TV, prior, and I know they are better than what I saw tonight. UNO's play-by-play man, Dave Ahlers, echoed my sentiment on the air tonight that, of the murderer's row we've had visit our building in the past 3 weeks, North Dakota, Michigan, and now, Miami, that the Redhawks may very well be the best team of that lot.

On the bus leaving the arena after the game, the big discussion among the ridership was about Ryan Walters, of all things, and how almost clueless he's looked out there on the ice season, despite the fact that he is tied for the team lead in points.

When you were picked to finish last in the league, it's a blast to be in first place, and, have games, plural, in hand, over the team in 2nd place team behind you. UNO needs to make statement and win again tomorrow night, methinks. I have not really been on the bandwagon as yet but a win tomorrow night would really get me on it. My expectations this season were not real high. That is changing, rapidly, based on what I have seen the past 7 games.

Comment

Still feel this way?

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                    Still feel this way?
                    It's tempting to say yes, obviously, under the circumstances. The real answer is, it's hard to say. Our team has improved it's play so much that it's hard to barometer that for me. I had seen Miami play, previously, and some of my thought process there was based on that. That said, I thought Miami compared pretty favorably with anything I saw out of North Dakota or Michigan the past two weekends. It looks like we turned some major, major corner 8 games ago. The team of our first 6 games doesn't look much like like the team of the last 8 except that our power play still stinks, and our penalty kill isn't what it needs to be yet, either. Goaltending has improved, that's for sure. Massa has gotten better and better.

Cornell is the best team I've seen us play so far (a lot of my opinion is based on their phenomenal power play, currently #1 in the country) and that's even being borne out in Pairwise, where they are currently 10th. I think Michigan is a good team but I don't really think they are really a top 5 team--right now, anyway, despite their current #5 Pairwise ranking.

We'll be seeing the Redhawks in Oxford in January. I'm sure those guys will remember this weekend when we come to call.

Comment

It's tempting to say yes, obviously, under the circumstances. The real answer is, it's hard to say. Our team has improved it's play so much that it's hard to barometer that for me. I had seen Miami play, previously, and some of my thought process there was based on that. That said, I thought Miami compared pretty favorably with anything I saw out of North Dakota or Michigan the past two weekends. It looks like we turned some major, major corner 8 games ago. The team of our first 6 games doesn't look much like like the team of the last 8 except that our power play still stinks, and our penalty kill isn't what it needs to be yet, either. Goaltending has improved, that's for sure. Massa has gotten better and better.

Cornell is the best team I've seen us play so far (a lot of my opinion is based on their phenomenal power play, currently #1 in the country) and that's even being borne out in Pairwise, where they are currently 10th. I think Michigan is a good team but I don't really think they are really a top 5 team--right now, anyway, despite their current #5 Pairwise ranking.

We'll be seeing the Redhawks in Oxford in January. I'm sure those guys will remember this weekend when we come to call.
                      That's a pretty fair assessment (although I got a neg rep for asking the question.)

I maintain two things:

1. UNO was and is a better team than their record indicates. They are getting better and rise to the occasion at home for their red letter games. Miami is a good team, high skill, speed and has played a decent schedule.

2. Michigan fans would agree that our team is not a top five team yet, whatever that is worth. BUT, you cannot dispute their record especially considering who they have played out of the gate. BC, BU, UNH(road) and UML are all solid/top HEA teams. Niagara and RIT are not the same NCAA tourney teams they have been in the past, so those games are the toss aways. Michigan Tech is better than their record and offered a pretty tough series- but one that better teams should sweep. UNO could go toe to toe with any of those teams, and it would fun to watch. The Wolverines still have Ferris State- who is the leading the W, in a couple weeks, and then WMU and either Mich St or Tech come holiday time to finish up the nc schedule. The only conference we didn't play was the ECAC this season. Just as well, we haven't had much luck with them lately. (I think we have lost our last four meetings- RPI, Union and Cornell (2). Our last win was in the NCAA tourney vs. Clarkson in 2007-08. Correction: I think Michigan beat also St. Lawrence a couple years ago at Yost. ) So, there is a good cross section of teams to draw any conclusions from. Michigan, IMO is a top ten team and will only increase their position with a good showing against Wisconsin and Minnesota in the B1G.

As for Cornell- and other good teams in the ECAC- they have proven the last couple seasons that they are a solid league with good teams. They finally broke through in the tournament last season.
                      Last edited by streaker; 11-25-2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X