Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-III Women's Coverage changing of the guard

Greetings all,

I just wanted to take a couple minutes to jot some things down and thank some people.

As some of you may have already noticed, Ken Castro posted a D-III women's blog post this morning. He's taken over the duties as the USCHO D-III women's correspondent from me after I held the job since 2007. I officially stepped down last week after submitting my first column of the season.

A lot has changed for me since 2007 when I was still in college at Oswego State and had all the time in the world to devote to this column weekly. I've since moved on to Norwich University where I've been working in the Sports Information office for the last four years and was promoted to the Director two years ago.

The proper time needed to devote to this rapidly expanding entity that is D-III women's hockey just isn't there anymore and it's not fair to the USCHO community of the fans, players, coaches etc of D-III women's hockey to not have someone who can devote the adequate time to it, which I haven't been able to do lately, especially over the last year or so.

I've been following the D-III women's game ever since the NCAA started sponsoring the sport back in 2001 when I would go to Elmira games since it was 10 minutes from my hometown. You can't imagine the amount of changes I've seen in the 12 years since. The parity, speed, talent and depth of teams is exponentially better. The desire for news and information has also increased at pretty much the same rate and I haven't been able to keep up with it while still performing my duties at Norwich.

I'd like to thank Chris Lerch and Ed Trefzger for giving me the opportunity back in 2007 for my first professional writing gig. (Despite the fact they are RIT guys. For those of you who go way back there were not many college hockey rivalries that could top RIT/Elmira back when RIT was still Division III.

I also liked to thank Candace Horgan, my editor and Todd Milewski, the executive editor at USCHO for working with me over the past couple of seasons when my time became much shorter and my deadlines became a lot tougher to meet.

I'd also like to give a big thank you to all of the countless coaches and players I have interviewed over the years for my column. I'm pretty sure that in the seven years I got to interview well over 50% of the Division III teams, which when its a one-man show writing about 50 teams, I'd say that's not too shabby. I've been able to write some great stories and get to know a lot of these coaches a little more in depth than what meets the eye.

I'd like to thank my now colleagues in the Sports Information world who are the ones that provide the media with the tips and tidbits that build the foundation for a lot of these stories. These are the people that make the athletic news world tick, they're the ones stating the games, writing the press releases, managing social media content etc. that help provide the info to the media. They also are the ones who coordinate the interviews with these coaches.

I'll certainly still be around the Division III circuit with my job at Norwich as the head men's and women's hockey contact and I'll still be poking around the fan forum.

Lastly, I'd to like thank you, the fans and readers of D-III women's hockey for reading my stories and providing feedback over the years. Without you, there wouldn't be a need for someone to be writing about the game and keeping me on my toes with trying to keep up with everything that is going on all across the country. You'll be in great hands with my successor Ken Castro.

Thanks,
    Derek Dunning
    USCHO D-III Women's Correspondent (2007-2013)

Re: D-III Women's Coverage changing of the guard

You will be missed at USCHO but keep up Great Work At NU
    Steve Day(NU71)
    Go Cadets

Comment

Derek/Prez......You set the standard high. Nice to parlay those early day writing stints into a job you enjoy. You can sense the passion you have for the role(s)....Well Done and wishing you continued success in the hills of the Green Mountains.

Comment

So I already got a bone to pick!

From this week's column...
        The Golden Gusties join Manhattanville, Elmira, Wisconsin-River Falls and Norwich in the group of top ten teams who have undergone some puzzling losses in the opening two weeks of the season.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/womens-d3-blog/...#ixzz2kNZRSTPj
        Another person who knows nothing about the western D3 teams...yay. Anyone who has followed the western hockey leagues over the past decade would not classify a Gustie loss to Superior as "puzzling."

While I know the Waidacher sisters had ridiculous games this weekend...lets not forget that they played Finlandia. I would almost think that this result would call into question the "class" of St Scholastica's coach. Why was Nina Waidacher in the game to score her 9th and 10th goal of the game late in the 3rd period. The coach didn't even switch lines between the 9th and 10th goal...
        UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
        NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
        Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

How about a response to my e-mail asking "the Pool 'B' question"? This would seem a compelling topic with the demise of the former NCHA and the coming of the WIAC. Do the WIAC teams and Independents represent enough teams to qualify for a Pool 'B' bid? Given the strength of the three eastern conferences, the ressurection of Pool 'B' means a no bid situation for a legit contender.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
            How about a response to my e-mail asking "the Pool 'B' question"? This would seem a compelling topic with the demise of the former NCHA and the coming of the WIAC. Do the WIAC teams and Independents represent enough teams to qualify for a Pool 'B' bid? Given the strength of the three eastern conferences, the ressurection of Pool 'B' means a no bid situation for a legit contender.
            So would a 22-3 Superior team getting the pool B bid take away a bid for a legit contender???

Also I think Derek already answered the question...but would be nice to get a definitive response...

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            Canton is not a full D-III member yet so there are only six teams this year. They are still in transitional phase.
            Last edited by gojackets; 11-11-2013, 05:19 PM.
            UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
              So would a 22-3 Superior team getting the pool B bid take away a bid for a legit contender???

Also I think Derek already answered the question...but would be nice to get a definitive response...
              My information is pretty good on that one. No Pool B this year. Canton doesn't count.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Another person who knows nothing about the western D3 teams...yay. Anyone who has followed the western hockey leagues over the past decade would not classify a Gustie loss to Superior as "puzzling."
                Well, I have followed the western teams for the last 14 years and I classify a GAC loss to UWS as "puzzling". Before this past weekend the series was 12-4-1, now it is 12-5-2. When one team has won 2/3 of all games and not lost 3/4 of all games in the series I could understand that being puzzling to a informed person.
                4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
                SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                  With no Pool B the WIAC four schools are in with all the other strong eastern conference legit pretenders who do not win an automatic qualifier. Just think there could be an MAIC, NCHA and three of the four WIAC teams all in the NCAA championship. I'm just sayin!
                  SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by 4and20 View Post
                    Just think there could be an MAIC, NCHA and three of the four WIAC teams all in the NCAA championship.

Comment

Well, I have followed the western teams for the last 14 years and I classify a GAC loss to UWS as "puzzling". Before this past weekend the series was 12-4-1, now it is 12-5-2. When one team has won 2/3 of all games and not lost 3/4 of all games in the series I could understand that being puzzling to a informed person.
                      I'm not sure where your getting your data...according to the schedules on collegehockeystats.net, GAC and Superior have only met 16 times, not the 19 times that you say. Gustavus is 9-4-3 against Superior. Yes, that is lopsided in victories...but 8 of the 12 non-ties have been 1 goal games (1 with an empty netter). Last 5 years its 5-3-2. I don't find it that puzzling that Superior would take 3 points from Gustavus.

I actually rephrase my first statement to say...what is this guy talking about...Elmira, Norwich, and Manhattanville have puzzling losses??? Elmira lost to Norwich, and Norwich and Manhattanville lost to Plattsburgh...where is the puzzlement?
                      UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

With no Pool B the WIAC four schools are in with all the other strong eastern conference legit pretenders who do not win an automatic qualifier. Just think there could be an MAIC, NCHA and three of the four WIAC teams all in the NCAA championship. I'm just sayin!
                        Your statement is no different than any other year. If the pool B was in play, all of the WIAC schools would be eligible for the Pool C as well. Your statement is like saying that all of the at-large bids go to ECAC-W schools (oh wait, hasn't that happened?)

I can't imagine a situation where 3 WIAC schools would get in...its hard to see 1 getting in that doesn't get at least 23 regular season wins, with no bad losses.
                        UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Wow first we make it headline news that some points get rolled by a top line against an inferior team,come on coach we all know you play a short bench up there but do you need to celebrate it,it was finlandia.As far as superior beating gustavus nothing surprising or puzzling about it superior is the better team.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            My information is pretty good on that one. No Pool B this year. Canton doesn't count.
                            Do games against Canton not count then as well? Since they are not technically a D3 team...do those games not count towards the D3 schedule for the teams that play them?
                            UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

I'm not sure where your getting your data...according to the schedules on collegehockeystats.net, GAC and Superior have only met 16 times, not the 19 times that you say. Gustavus is 9-4-3 against Superior. Yes, that is lopsided in victories...but 8 of the 12 non-ties have been 1 goal games (1 with an empty netter). Last 5 years its 5-3-2. I don't find it that puzzling that Superior would take 3 points from Gustavus.
                              This is where the data is coming from [URL="https://gustavus.edu/athletics/whky/records/series.php#B"]

Comment

Working...
                              X