Utica College Pioneers '13-'14 = Lewiston or Bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College Pioneers '13-'14 = Lewiston or Bust

The hockey gods are surely pleased. Utica College gets the first home win in the "new and improved" Aud (as apposed to that other "Utica" team).

The Aud did seem cleaner than in the past. I must be honest, things were much better than I expected from the new management group. If you don't already know, the "new" team's management group has been given the contract for the running of the Aud. Is that normal operating procedure--that the main, but not exclusive, tenant run the facility for the governmental body who is ultimately responsible for said facility?

Not a fan of every vertical surface having sponsorship, however. Of course some of that displeasure is the knowledge that 100% of those "sponsorships" went to the new tenants, and none to the organization who has been tenants of the Aud longer than any major team. Any. Ever.

I found the changing of the light intensity of the video board bothersome. It often seemed that someone had turned out some lights off to the side when the board went from bright to dark.

Do we in fact know that the ice making capabilities were improved? If so, how? New chill plant? Pretty sure that the floor of the Aud was not touched, that no additional cooling tube were installed. Or is it just that there is now someone at the Aud (or consulting with the Aud) who knows how to make and maintain ice?

Huge test this weekend with Elmira on Friday (sorry about that Mr. Connor...I know you would prefer a Saturday game at Utica) and Hobart on Saturday. Also, was it just me, or is the new freshman goalie huge?
    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
      Huge test this weekend with Elmira on Friday
      What is the chance that the game will sell out before game time?

Comment

Saturday's game was a sell out, but I don't know when the last ticket was sold. I got there late (well into 2nd period) as I was over at Syracuse and you could not buy a ticket at that time. I would say there is a good chance it will sell out by start of the game. That does not mean you can't buy tickets if you get there before game time.

Edit: Currently you 2 folks can sit third row from the ice in the corner or row H (last orange row of seats, lots of blue seats higher up) mid ice. So it looks like lots of tickets are now available. I would guess most folks buy walk up night of game. If I was driving, I would either get there early or get tickets before I left home.
        Last edited by UCBadger; 11-04-2013, 07:30 PM.
        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          Directing a question to the tiny handful of UC fans who actually weigh-in here: What do you think of the changes at The Aud?

We loved the (apparent) fact that the ice was upgraded; that's been a huge issue for years... While it was warm on Saturday, there was no visible slush or standing water, and good ice favors a skilled team such as Utica.

Aside from that, we didn't really appreciate the "upgrades", at least not insofar as how they were manifest.

Our list:

1. The sound system has gone from completely serviceable to God-awful. You'll have a better chance of understanding a Manhattan subway's intercom notices than you will trying to decipher what penalty was called at a Utica game right now.

2A. The big video boards are more of a distraction than anything else, because they are constantly busy displaying MAKE SOME NOISE!!! or some other such nonsense... They ought to be showing replays, stats, or anything else relevant to the actual game, which they did far too seldom.

2B. The roving "reporters" and the "Kiss Cam" on said big-screens were an annoying sideshow... Again, that crap has nothing to do with the game at hand, and is an annoying distraction to those of us who were there to see some hockey.

3. The fog-horn has been amplified to the point where it engenders physical pain to hear it. We've been to rock concerts, and our ears rang in a similar fashion as we drove home on Saturday. (I am actually going to officially complain about that; The Aud is a publicly-funded facility, and is supposed to be aware of the hearing damage that can obtain pursuant to the noise they generate, especially among the many children there.)

4. I'm not even going to get started about the ushers strutting around like so many ridiculous peacocks, as though they are suddenly in the employ of the Secret Service... But it was a ridiculous spectacle to behold, especially since they don't have the training/hockey-sense to wait for a whistle to seat people.

In summary, I do like the ice, the place looks somewhat better, but all the pseudo "big-time" AHL trappings are not congruent with D-3 hockey, IMO, and all the long-time fans that I got re-acquainted with on Saturday felt the same as I.

The Aud used to be the best D-3 venue among those I've seen, but right now it's a gimmicky, overstated embarrassment... I'm hopeful that once the Comets jump-ship next year, the management will go back to making this place about hockey again.
          You sir, are a pinhead. What you said, could not be anymore biased, if you tried.

Ok, first, I just want to say that why is it so far over everyone's head to begin to think "hey, maybe we can support both teams?"

I am beyond sick of hearing people bash the Comets and say how they're going to leave already etc.. It's ridiculous and extremely annoying. I mean just think how much that doesn't make sense.. they're going to leave and they just got here..? I mean really, a team that just arrived is going to leave already? Progress is not the enemy people! The negativity needs to stop.

Both teams play for the same city, so why can we not support both teams? What do you think people in Oswego do.. they have the Syracuse Crunch and the Oswego Lakers and they support both of those, just fine. I think where the problem begins, is lack of education. You people are so adjusted to watching COLLEGE level hockey that they cannot begin to fathom what the AHL is and what level of hockey it is. It isn't some "Semi-pro" bull**** (whatever that is even) or anything like that. This is entirely different hockey from where the Utica College Pioneers are at, but regardless, we should support both teams.

Having said that, just remember this when you read what I say next in my rant. Utica College has the most season ticket holders (2,200+) and averages the most fans per home game a year, while the Utica Comets are one of the top teams in the AHL for season ticket holders (1,600+) and are out doing cities such as Hartford, Portland, Oklahoma City etc.. in attendance so far. We (The Comets) also have the lowest single game ticket prices in the league.

I will now address Mr. Fishman's complaints, because he's beyond wrong on his points.

1. The sound system is not awful by any means anymore, especially compared to what we had in previous seasons so I don't have a clue what you're talking about. Maybe the people behind the mic need to google a way to speak better into the mic, however, the PA system is just fine. In fact, much better than before in my opinion.

2A. Get a life and stop complaining about absolutely everything you can find just because you're p***ed that the Pioneers are not the main tenant anymore. I mean really? "They're more of a distraction?" Dude, c'mon. Fine, you want them to turn down the brightness and begin showing more stats and stuff, they'll learn and do that in time, give them a break, this is the first season with everything and they're just getting their feet wet, so give them a chance and be patience and thankful that we have what we have.. I mean it's about time the AUD finally caught up to this century with technology. Don't tell me you're not happy that they've improved everything compared to say last season...

2B. Ok on this point, you really need to get out more and go to a professional hockey game (AHL or NHL) and realize that these are the things that professional hockey games have in between periods, during TV timeouts and during the game. Don't like them, then don't look at the screen, if it bothers you that much. You know, it obviously is not what we go to a hockey game to see but neither are fights and that seems to be why everyone likes to go to hockey games now a days, to see the guys fight and rough it up with opposing players. But that's another point entirely.

3. Grow a pair, and bring some ear plugs dude. I mean seriously, it's too loud? Its at the same level as it always has been, I know this for a fact, so that one is just on you sir.

4. How are the ushers being so ridiculous? Please give me specific examples? They're not the Nazis like they have been in the past as much and they're stopping foot traffic and controlling it as the game goes on like it should be. They seem fine to me? They may be hockey illiterate but that's not necessary for them to do their job so much.

5. Once again, you're not the main tenant anymore and the AUD was improved to make it suitable for an AHL team so I'm sorry the "pseudo "big-time" AHL trappings are not congruent with D-3 hockey" for you, however, that's whats needed to play, if they wish to continue playing in the Auditorium. I think the advertisements and all the new stuff in the building is much more attractive to play in rather than the old AUD's look in the past. Wouldn't it attract more people than the opposite effect?

"it's a gimmicky, overstated embarrassment... I'm hopeful that once the Comets jump-ship next year, the management will go back to making this place about hockey again."

Look how unbelievably ridiculous you sound with that comment, I mean you couldn't be any further from the truth about that. It's "gimmicky" and an overstated "embarrassment"? All I can say to you sir, is that I hope you get to a real professional game someday and then maybe then, you'll understand why the AUD looks and acts during it's Comets and Pioneer games, the way it does. You're so wrong. Of course, the people on Saturday night at the UC game had the same opinion as you.. as if they'd disagree or something

"I'm hopeful that once the Comets jump-ship next year, the management will go back to making this place about hockey again."

How are they not making this place about hockey, now?

By the way, that management you're talking about that you hope returns hockey next year to the AUD, is the Utica Comets.

There are two teams here and over 50 hockey games to see this winter at the AUD...? So why isn't "this place about hockey" right now? Pretty sure it's better than ever to see hockey.. oh wait, I forgot. If it's not UC hockey, it's wrong and hopeless. Since you know so much about the Comets leaving (because they just arrived so somehow because you have such a defeatist attitude like so many, they must be leaving soon) please let me know so I can let the proper people know at the AUD, because they'll want to know since the Comets are going to leave already after their inaugural season

But it's ok, you're probably one of those people basing the team off of the Utica Devils of the 1990's.. well wake up, this isn't the 90's anymore, professional hockey is back and here to stay whether you like it or not. You can't find every little thing wrong because you're ****ed you're not the big fish in the small pond anymore. I'm just beyond sick of people like you putting something so positive for this area down, because of your biased opinion. I have been a supporter of the Pioneers since 2000, having been to the first game ever in program history, to seeing them now. I even go to Utica College now for gods sake. But I support both teams because, why not?
          Last edited by Pioneers#1; 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM.
          Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
          Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
          Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
          2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
          2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post

The sound system is much improved, at least from my seats, but I believe the announcers tend to talk with their mouths too close to the microphone which makes it sound garbled. Plus they don't need to yell into it. Probably a habit from using the old system.
            Could be; I posted on the basis of just one game.

There was no problem in terms of volume (that's for sure!), but the enunciation was missing... And I heard that same criticism from both sides of of the arena on Saturday, from several of my Aud acquaintances.

Truly, nobody on the East side of the arena had any idea of what the announcer was saying, including a few 20-somethings in our group, and the same went for the West side.

That needs work.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-05-2013, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fisheralum91 View Post
              Fishman- you have got to be kidding me.....The horns are too loud? The HUGE video screens were a distraction? Look man, go back to the Clinton arena. In my opinion it is amazing with the improvements!!! Let the people get excited about hockey again.. Get some new fans....new blood...Progress is not the enemy!
              Utica fans have been excited about hockey for a while now; you can look-up the D-3 attendance for the past few years to bear that out.

UC needed better ice and they got it, which is was money well-spent in that regard, but the rest of the embellishments are essentially silly, since Vancouver will be a one and done franchise here, unless they want to bathe in red ink for an extended span of time. (I don't see that happening, unless there are delays in Abbottsford.)

And let's not forget who pay-rolled this partially bad allocation of public funds... (Yup, the few working folks in Oneida County.)
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-05-2013, 02:30 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pioneers#1;5804137]

Look-up the AHL attendance from last year, and tell me again how the Comets can possibly be in the running to make a buck this year, even if they sell out every single night... It's capacity alone excludes The Aud from any AHL relevance.

NJ made a genuine go of it 30 years ago, and the numbers didn't add-up even then, when a lot of us were working here, and paying the requisite taxes to keep The Aud afloat. It's definitely not going to work now, with nobody paying for the upkeep.

UC is the only viable team in town, sonny. (Big, silly, empty scoreboards and all that other BS understandably put aside.)

Perhaps you should take an economics course.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-05-2013, 02:45 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishman'81;5804265]
                  Originally posted by Pioneers#1 View Post

Look-up the AHL attendance from last year, and tell me again how the Comets can possibly be in the running to make a buck this year, even if they sell out every single night... It's capacity alone excludes The Aud from any AHL relevance.

NJ made a genuine go of it 30 years ago, and the numbers didn't add-up even then, when a lot of us were working here, and paying the requisite taxes to keep The Aud afloat. It's definitely not going to work now, with nobody paying for the upkeep.

UC is the only viable team in town, sonny. (Big, silly, empty scoreboards and all that other BS understandably put aside.)

You sir are a perfect example of what people in this area are trying to combat. You are narrow minded and stuck in the 70s. There is a great group of people in this area fighting tooth and nail to renew the area whether it be thru hockey or nano science. Look, im not some kid looking thru rose colored glasses. Im a member of as many organizations as I can be to make this place a better one for my kids-and it is people like you who I cant stand. Take your negative typical old school attitude and live in your world...Im going out there to make mine better.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    Utica fans have been excited about hockey for a while now; you can look-up the D-3 attendance for the past few years to bear that out.

UC needed better ice and they got it, which is was money well-spent in that regard, but the rest of the embellishments are essentially silly, since Vancouver will be a one and done franchise here, unless they want to bathe in red ink for an extended span of time. (I don't see that happening, unless there are delays in Abbottsford.)

And let's not forget who pay-rolled this partially bad allocation of public funds... (Yup, the few working folks in Oneida County.)
                    Once again, you're so obtuse. Dude, why in the world do you think Utica is going to leave? They just got here! You have such a defeatist attitude, its unreal. Why would they go back to Abbotsford? It's completely pointless. The reason they moved their franchise here was because of it's location. It's cheaper travel expenses and expenses overall during the season to have them here versus 2,900+ miles away from every other team in the league, in Abbotsford. Don't you realize that?

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishman'81;5804265]
                      Originally posted by Pioneers#1 View Post

So wrong. You need to understand that if Vancouver really thought it wasn't going to work out, they would have never signed a six year contract to come here and stay. Rob Esche and his partners have done so much and moved mountains in these past few months, that have never been done at the AUD. You also need to understand that the AHL is a development league and their more concerned about that then attendance so much. So if the Comets can keep developing their players and beat out who they can for attendance because they have the smallest rink in the AHL, so be it. they would probably be ok with that.

Comment

sorry pioneers....I meant to quote Fishman81.....my bad....
                        oh- and the Comets came from Peoria Il not Abbotsford- but hell- we are on the same page...
                        Its great to have them here!

Oh and folks that are getting me confused with that "other guy"....Im FISHERALUM91 not Fishman81......BIG difference

Comment

Originally posted by fisheralum91 View Post
                          sorry pioneers....I meant to quote Fishman81.....my bad....
                          oh- and the Comets came from Peoria Il not Abbotsford- but hell- we are on the same page...
                          Its great to have them here!

Oh and folks that are getting me confused with that "other guy"....Im FISHERALUM91 not Fishman81......BIG difference
                          Clear difference - even though I don't "belong" in this thread, I get it
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

This is from the Utica Comets Wikipedia page:

(The team was) most recently known as the Peoria Rivermen. The Rivermen franchise was purchased by Canucks Sports & Entertainment (CS&E), owners of the National Hockey League's (NHL) Vancouver Canucks, in a deal announced on March 29, 2013 and approved by the American Hockey League (AHL) on April 18.[1]

After purchasing the Rivermen franchise, CS&E made intentions to have the franchise located in a market close to Vancouver. Their initial preference was Abbotsford, British Columbia, which was home to the Calgary Flames' AHL farm club, the Abbotsford Heat. The Heat had been rumored to relocate to Utica, New York at the time.[2] Negotiations between the Canucks and Abbotsford broke down by April 22, ensuring the Heat would remain in the city.[3] Media reports speculated that Canucks would move the team to Vancouver and share Rogers Arena, which is also owned by CS&E, with the Canucks. This proved impossible as Vancouver is within Abbotsford's 50-mile territorial radius provided by the AHL.[4] A reported plan to have the team play in Seattle's KeyArena was disallowed by the NHL as Seattle was reportedly a candidate to land the troubled Phoenix Coyotes franchise; however, the Coyotes have since found a new owner who intends to keep the franchise in Arizona.[5]

By mid-May 2013, CS&E's options for the franchise were dwindling; they did consider keeping the franchise in Peoria,[6] but notified the city on May 13 that it would not operate in that city and the Rivermen were replaced by a Southern Professional Hockey League team of the same name.[7] CS&E did consider placing the franchise in dormancy for the 2013–14 season, with the Canucks loaning their AHL prospects to other teams.[8] Facing an extended deadline by the AHL to find a new home,[9] CS&E agreed to a deal with Utica, New York to relocate the franchise to the city's soon-to-be-renovated Memorial Auditorium.[10]

What can one get from this? Vancouver wanted their team just about anywhere other than Utica (including back in Peoria); the final decision was between placing the team in Utica and suspending the team for one year.

(Oh, yes, our new Peoria Rivermen are now 2-2-0!)
                            Chuck Norris before Norris chucks you!©
                            C.N. plays in Peoria.
                            The AHL Peoria Rivermen are moving WHERE?

Comment

Seems like you have sour grapes iron puck
                              Hell- we are glad to have AHL hockey in town!
                              How they got here is irrelevant.
                              They have a 6 year deal and I look forward to putting my *** in my season tickets every game.
                              BTW- why the dig on Utica? Why hate?

Comment

Don't get me wrong; if the Comets and UC can continue to co-exist as they are this season, having the AHL in town is obviously a boon to the moribund local economy, and I'm all for that...Thing is, there is no guarantee that the current arrangement will continue as such, as far as I can discern.

Some UC hockey-parents who have been reliable sources in the past tell me that the "6-year" deal Vancouver has with The Aud contains an opt-out clause after this season. I'm told that if the Comets decide to stay for the remaining 5 years they will be designated the primary tenant, and can then schedule their home games without any regard for UC's convenience. If that is the case, then Utica will likely have to play some games at odd times at The Aud -if the W allows it- or at another site entirely. (The Clinton Arena, when available, was cited as the fall-back venue.) Granted, this is all just conjecture, even in my book, but it makes a certain amount of sense.

Believe it or not, I'd be delighted if the current situation could continue as is. I dropped-into Utica in 1984 and found it a fun little city at that time, but have since seen it free-fall into decrepitude and squalor. UC's self-made success put the city back on the hockey-map and was a shot in the arm for what's left of Downtown, and the Comets are bringing even more traffic and commerce to that area. If the latter can defy all logic and establish pro hockey long-term where it has always failed previously, more power to them, but how many of you truly believe that they can accomplish such a thing?

To hang our hats on that remote possibility - at the risk of alienating the lone hockey entity that has proven itself to be viable here- is to foolishly throw good money after bad.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-05-2013, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X