Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Utica College Pioneers '13-'14 = Lewiston or Bust

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    As one of the few people on this board that was a player in these games,chocked may not be the correct word to use??? I suggest another until you have played in the games.....thread officially hijacked
    Its actually "choked" but...Flopped? Gag? Garrote? Occlude? Strangulate? Asphyxiate?
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

.....thread officially hijacked
      Oh, its been hijacked for awhile now..................
      Last edited by UCBadger; 10-31-2013, 02:52 PM.
      2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
      2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
      2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
      2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
      2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
      2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
      2009 D-III TOP runner-up
      Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
      1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

As one of the few people on this board that was a player in these games,chocked may not be the correct word to use??? I suggest another until you have played in the games.....thread officially hijacked
        I hear you bakdraft21. As another one who played in these games, "choked" is not a good description. First off, you had to play on a really good team just to get to those games. Hundreds of guys never got to play in a game with that much intensity and, dare I say, mutual respect.
        Although we disliked the Lakers more than anyone, we certainly respected them. We took a couple of whippings by Oswego and always thought that was a possibility before the game. I think for the most part the two have had pretty even teams over the years with the Cards seeming to get the better bounces and probably better goaltending (and Coaching?)

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
          I hear you bakdraft21. As another one who played in these games, "choked" is not a good description. First off, you had to play on a really good team just to get to those games. Hundreds of guys never got to play in a game with that much intensity and, dare I say, mutual respect.
          Although we disliked the Lakers more than anyone, we certainly respected them. We took a couple of whippings by Oswego and always thought that was a possibility before the game. I think for the most part the two have had pretty even teams over the years with the Cards seeming to get the better bounces and probably better goaltending (and Coaching?)
          couldnt have said it/spelled it better myself...dont think there is much choking,just better players/coaching,and yes in a one game type thing a bounce or 2..as for my teams back in the day we had guts and team chemistry,with just not enough talent to beat Platty,I think Platty also had a top notch goalie who was very expeirenced and we had a rookie/2nd yr goalie with little big game experience,who turned out to be a top goalie....
          Last edited by bakdraft21; 10-31-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Sounds like Barnett vs. Mueller ?

Comment

Sounds like Barnett vs. Mueller ?
              sounds about right...bottomline just dont like the choke thing as you have to win a lot of games to be able to choke.......anyway we move on to 2013/14........Platty will be very hard to beat,they have a nice mix of experience,size speed and coaching..again thread hijacked

Comment

So, how 'bout them Pioneers??

Friday night's season opener -- Utica @ Nazareth preview

D3 Frozen Four in Utica? The Aud a finalist to host future D3 Men's Hockey Championships

Pioneers 2013-14 season preview

UC men's hockey team has raised expectations this season

Watch Friday's game at Nazareth here

Listen to Friday's game at Nazareth here

Comment

I expect a lot from the Pioneers this year as well. They need to avoid the early peak bugaboo that's got them playing their best hockey in December and January. They've got some talent. Wouldn't be surprised to see them near the top of the meaningless rankings during the season.

Comment

I expect a lot from the Pioneers this year as well. They need to avoid the early peak bugaboo that's got them playing their best hockey in December and January. They've got some talent. Wouldn't be surprised to see them near the top of the meaningless rankings during the season.
                    The USCHO poll is meaningless from start to finish, but last year's NCAA rankings closely mirrored the D-3 KRACH, which was a start.

Anyway, all UC has to do is to win a ton of games, and they'll be all right.

Their W-schedule is going to take care of itself in terms of SOS, OOC cupcakes or not. All Utica has to concern itself with is W%, and the rest of the metric will take care of itself.
                    Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-01-2013, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• Re: Utica College Pioneers '13-'14 = Lewiston or Bust

I'll take this one Champs. Let me see sshablak, Plattsburgh has more NCAA Championships , more NCAA tourney appearances, More Final Four appearances, more SUNYAC regular season titles, more SUNYAC tourney championships, more All-Americans and an all-time record of 71-34-6 against Oswego. Other than that.....not much !!!
                      OOps...my bad I've only followed D3 hockey 6-7 yrs. Guess I was looking more at these recent years. A question(don't get mad), when's the last time Platty won a NCAA title or even in the NCAA playoffs ? Just a question cause I don't know. Thanks
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Cards have won the NCAA Championship last in 2001 vs. an undefeated RIT team that was playing at home. Prior to that they won it in 1992 and 1987 (since vacated on infractions??)....Their last NCAA appearance was in 2012 where they lost in the quarterfinals to Amherst. Their last win was in 2010 (at Middlebury). Their last Final Four was also in 2010 where they lost 3-2 to Norwich at Lake Placid.

So, you see it really hasn't been too long since they've had "success" in the post season.

Comment

Not to go backwards, but originally, when Fish said that Oswego's program was the gold standard in the East, I think he meant BROADCASTING...not the hockey program. I don't think it was supposed to turn into who has the best hockey program, historically. At least, that's how I read it.
                          Last edited by LakerFan99; 11-01-2013, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerFan99 View Post
                            Not to go backwards, but originally, when Fish said that Oswego's program was the gold standard in the East, I think he meant BROADCASTING...not the hockey program. I don't think it was supposed to turn into who has the best hockey program, historically. At least, that's how I read it.
                            With "da Fish", who really knows? Regardless, it will be more than a little weird to have the Michael "GOAT" Keeley as the color partner to Ray "Bigger Than Life" Biggs...when UC is up by 7 going into the 3rd, I predict Ray hands the baton over to the hometown champ...
                            LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Cards have won the NCAA Championship last in 2001 vs. an undefeated RIT team that was playing at home. Prior to that they won it in 1992 and 1987 (since vacated on infractions??)....Their last NCAA appearance was in 2012 where they lost in the quarterfinals to Amherst. Their last win was in 2010 (at Middlebury). Their last Final Four was also in 2010 where they lost 3-2 to Norwich at Lake Placid.

So, you see it really hasn't been too long since they've had "success" in the post season.
                              Thank you.
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Full page ad in the Utica Observer Dispatch today promoting today's Women's opener at 2:30 (!!!) and Saturday's Mens home opener.

It is my understanding that this is Utica College's first full page ad in the OD EVER! (I will stand corrected if wrong on that one....)
                                2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                                2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                                2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                                2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                                2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                                2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                                2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                                Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                                1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Working...
                                X