Utica College Pioneers '13-'14 = Lewiston or Bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College Pioneers '13-'14 = Lewiston or Bust

Hate? What Hate? I didn't write the stuff, I just reported it. I hope (really!) that things work out for all parties involved there in Utica....The Comets, Utica College, the County (who I gather owns the AUD) and the fine taxpayers in the area. There is, in fact, no such thing as "too much hockey!"
    Last edited by ironpuck; 11-05-2013, 01:50 PM.
    Chuck Norris before Norris chucks you!©
    C.N. plays in Peoria.
    The AHL Peoria Rivermen are moving WHERE?

Comment

I have heard there is an opt out in year two- but im not splitting hairs.
      I understand trepidation.
      I too have been burned by many a pro team that has come and gone.
      My thought is that Id like to be part of the solution, and not the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneers#1 View Post
        You sir, are a pinhead. What you said, could not be anymore biased, if you tried.

Ok, first, I just want to say that why is it so far over everyone's head to begin to think "hey, maybe we can support both teams?"

I am beyond sick of hearing people bash the Comets and say how they're going to leave already etc.. It's ridiculous and extremely annoying. I mean just think how much that doesn't make sense.. they're going to leave and they just got here..? I mean really, a team that just arrived is going to leave already? Progress is not the enemy people! The negativity needs to stop.

Both teams play for the same city, so why can we not support both teams? What do you think people in Oswego do.. they have the Syracuse Crunch and the Oswego Lakers and they support both of those, just fine. I think where the problem begins, is lack of education. You people are so adjusted to watching COLLEGE level hockey that they cannot begin to fathom what the AHL is and what level of hockey it is. It isn't some "Semi-pro" bull**** (whatever that is even) or anything like that. This is entirely different hockey from where the Utica College Pioneers are at, but regardless, we should support both teams.

Having said that, just remember this when you read what I say next in my rant. Utica College has the most season ticket holders (2,200+) and averages the most fans per home game a year, while the Utica Comets are one of the top teams in the AHL for season ticket holders (1,600+) and are out doing cities such as Hartford, Portland, Oklahoma City etc.. in attendance so far. We (The Comets) also have the lowest single game ticket prices in the league.

I will now address Mr. Fishman's complaints, because he's beyond wrong on his points.

1. The sound system is not awful by any means anymore, especially compared to what we had in previous seasons so I don't have a clue what you're talking about. Maybe the people behind the mic need to google a way to speak better into the mic, however, the PA system is just fine. In fact, much better than before in my opinion.

2A. Get a life and stop complaining about absolutely everything you can find just because you're p***ed that the Pioneers are not the main tenant anymore. I mean really? "They're more of a distraction?" Dude, c'mon. Fine, you want them to turn down the brightness and begin showing more stats and stuff, they'll learn and do that in time, give them a break, this is the first season with everything and they're just getting their feet wet, so give them a chance and be patience and thankful that we have what we have.. I mean it's about time the AUD finally caught up to this century with technology. Don't tell me you're not happy that they've improved everything compared to say last season...

2B. Ok on this point, you really need to get out more and go to a professional hockey game (AHL or NHL) and realize that these are the things that professional hockey games have in between periods, during TV timeouts and during the game. Don't like them, then don't look at the screen, if it bothers you that much. You know, it obviously is not what we go to a hockey game to see but neither are fights and that seems to be why everyone likes to go to hockey games now a days, to see the guys fight and rough it up with opposing players. But that's another point entirely.

3. Grow a pair, and bring some ear plugs dude. I mean seriously, it's too loud? Its at the same level as it always has been, I know this for a fact, so that one is just on you sir.

4. How are the ushers being so ridiculous? Please give me specific examples? They're not the Nazis like they have been in the past as much and they're stopping foot traffic and controlling it as the game goes on like it should be. They seem fine to me? They may be hockey illiterate but that's not necessary for them to do their job so much.

5. Once again, you're not the main tenant anymore and the AUD was improved to make it suitable for an AHL team so I'm sorry the "pseudo "big-time" AHL trappings are not congruent with D-3 hockey" for you, however, that's whats needed to play, if they wish to continue playing in the Auditorium. I think the advertisements and all the new stuff in the building is much more attractive to play in rather than the old AUD's look in the past. Wouldn't it attract more people than the opposite effect?

"it's a gimmicky, overstated embarrassment... I'm hopeful that once the Comets jump-ship next year, the management will go back to making this place about hockey again."

Look how unbelievably ridiculous you sound with that comment, I mean you couldn't be any further from the truth about that. It's "gimmicky" and an overstated "embarrassment"? All I can say to you sir, is that I hope you get to a real professional game someday and then maybe then, you'll understand why the AUD looks and acts during it's Comets and Pioneer games, the way it does. You're so wrong. Of course, the people on Saturday night at the UC game had the same opinion as you.. as if they'd disagree or something

"I'm hopeful that once the Comets jump-ship next year, the management will go back to making this place about hockey again."

How are they not making this place about hockey, now?

By the way, that management you're talking about that you hope returns hockey next year to the AUD, is the Utica Comets.

There are two teams here and over 50 hockey games to see this winter at the AUD...? So why isn't "this place about hockey" right now? Pretty sure it's better than ever to see hockey.. oh wait, I forgot. If it's not UC hockey, it's wrong and hopeless. Since you know so much about the Comets leaving (because they just arrived so somehow because you have such a defeatist attitude like so many, they must be leaving soon) please let me know so I can let the proper people know at the AUD, because they'll want to know since the Comets are going to leave already after their inaugural season

But it's ok, you're probably one of those people basing the team off of the Utica Devils of the 1990's.. well wake up, this isn't the 90's anymore, professional hockey is back and here to stay whether you like it or not. You can't find every little thing wrong because you're ****ed you're not the big fish in the small pond anymore. I'm just beyond sick of people like you putting something so positive for this area down, because of your biased opinion. I have been a supporter of the Pioneers since 2000, having been to the first game ever in program history, to seeing them now. I even go to Utica College now for gods sake. But I support both teams because, why not?
        I have no interest in getting in the middle of these rants (either side) but the sound system, which was bad, is even worse than it was. Maybe it's the settings (to load with too much bass), maybe it's the speakers or the mic, but I couldn't understand a word of anything that was said. Everyone that was sitting around me said the same thing. It could be that it depends on where you sit I guess. If so, the upgrade was a waste of money. Hopefully it can be adjusted or fixed.

The video screens don't bother me. I do hope they will show more stats and replays as they learn how all this new stuff works. There was nothing shown on the first 3 goals, but I noticed that after that they showed who scored the goal and even a replay. I think this will get better as we go along.

The Ushers are doing their job, which this year includes holding fans up until there is a stop in play before they can go back to their seats. This is LONG overdue IMHO. It's one of the most annoying things to have your view blocked as people walk in front of you or ask you to let them in. Colgate has always done this and it shows respect to the game, players, and fans. It's about the game.

As far as the Comets go, I wish them all the luck in the world. I'll probably make a game or 2. I have no idea on how they'll make money or if they even will. That's their problem. If they move on so be it. At least I'll get to see some AHL hockey and future NHL players as I did when the Devils were here. It's all good, but fix the sound system, please.

Comment

as far as these threads are concerned you guys should just enjoy the success your Pio's are having and wait and see what happens with the rest...I think you guys could have another FF yr and perhaps pull out a victory or dare I say 2 in the FF.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
            as far as these threads are concerned you guys should just enjoy the success your Pio's are having and wait and see what happens with the rest...I think you guys could have another FF yr and perhaps pull out a victory or dare I say 2 in the FF.
            Amen Brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              I'm told that if the Comets decide to stay for the remaining 5 years they will be designated the primary tenant, and can then schedule their home games without any regard for UC's convenience. If that is the case, then Utica will likely have to play some games at odd times at The Aud -if the W allows it- or at another site entirely. (The Clinton Arena, when available, was cited as the fall-back venue.)
              You mean Utica might have to play some games...wait for it ....wait for it....wait for it....on the road?????

Just a side thought too...after doing some research I see Utica is currently 23rd out of 30 teams in Average Attendance with 3,227. While it doesn't come close to the 9,240 at Hersey Utica is the ONLY AHL team whose city has a metro population under 100,000 (95,960 if you add Rome and Utica). 12 AHL Teams have over 1 million in their metro area (with Bridgeport and Worcester at 920,000+).

Having said that..
              % of Population / Avg Attendance
              Utica 3.36
              St. John's 3.19
              Lake Erie 2.66
              Adirondack 2.41
              Hershey 1.75
              Rockford 1.45
              Abbotsford 1.37
              Binghamton 1.34
              Manchester 1.16
              Iowa 0.97

So for as small as Utica is (compared to other AHL teams) I think it's safe to say their attendance is pretty decent. Enough to sustain a quality AHL Hockey team in these days? That's TBD.
              Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 11-05-2013, 04:28 PM.
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                You mean Utica might have to play some games...wait for it ....wait for it....wait for it....on the road?????
                So for as small as Utica is (compared to other AHL teams) I think it's safe to say their attendance is pretty decent. Enough to sustain a quality AHL Hockey team in these days? That's TBD.
                "It's so expensive to run these franchises now," Landon said.

AHL owners pay a roughly $1 million NHL affiliation fee and are responsible for front office salaries, travel costs, insurance and building leases that vary from city to city, depending on market size. Player salaries are paid by their parent NHL teams.

On the flip side, AHL franchises have three main sources of income - corporate sponsorship and advertising, season tickets and group sales. "If you don't have the revenue stream you're never going to make it work," Landon said. "You can't survive on 3,500 fans a game any more. We need to get to 4,000. That's a big jump."
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

It's 284 miles (according to the NCAA) from Utica to Neumann. That should be the upper limit of mileage for Utica.

Let's look at who is in range once you cross the Hudson....
                  Anyone in Western MA or VT is good to go.
                  Plymouth St is 272 miles.
                  Babson College is 253 miles
                  Bowdoin is 392 (almost, but not quite a flight!) (Bates is 396 miles - keep that in mind for the tournament)
                  Curry is 269 miles
                  Salem St. is 285 miles
                  Mass-Boston is 267 miles
                  Mass-Dartmouth is 287 miles.
                  Nichols College is 221 miles
                  Johnson & Wales is 259 miles
                  Salve Regina is 293 miles

So, there quality out there, if they want to hop on the bus.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Some UC hockey-parents who have been reliable sources in the past tell me that the "6-year" deal Vancouver has with The Aud contains an opt-out clause after this season.
                    I'm sure the Utica College parents have reliable non-biased sources that they're getting their information from I can assure you, they're wrong on that one. Once again.
                    Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
                    Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
                    Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
                    2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
                    2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

Originally posted by Bennycheck View Post
                      I have no interest in getting in the middle of these rants (either side) but the sound system, which was bad, is even worse than it was. Maybe it's the settings (to load with too much bass), maybe it's the speakers or the mic, but I couldn't understand a word of anything that was said. Everyone that was sitting around me said the same thing. It could be that it depends on where you sit I guess. If so, the upgrade was a waste of money. Hopefully it can be adjusted or fixed.

The Ushers are doing their job, which this year includes holding fans up until there is a stop in play before they can go back to their seats. This is LONG overdue IMHO. It's one of the most annoying things to have your view blocked as people walk in front of you or ask you to let them in. Colgate has always done this and it shows respect to the game, players, and fans. It's about the game.

As far as the Comets go, I wish them all the luck in the world. I'll probably make a game or 2. I have no idea on how they'll make money or if they even will. That's their problem. If they move on so be it. At least I'll get to see some AHL hockey and future NHL players as I did when the Devils were here. It's all good, but fix the sound system, please.
                      Thanks for chiming-in.

Nobody I talked to that night could understand anything that was broadcast via the PA, and I heard from a couple of friends that it has been just as bad for the Comets' games so far, as well. (It was especially frustrating when we couldn't make out which penalty was called, because God knows you need a little help there when you're trying to figure out what certain D-3 refs are calling.)

As far as the ushers went: one stood directly in front of us -right in the middle of the stands front of us for several minutes during live play- officiously directing two people as to where they should sit... But that's nothing new. I asked the Aud head honcho three years back if he'd institute a "wait for the whistle" policy, and he mumbled something about working on it, but that situation has remained unaddressed since Year One.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-07-2013, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        It's 284 miles (according to the NCAA) from Utica to Neumann. That should be the upper limit of mileage for Utica.

Let's look at who is in range once you cross the Hudson....
                        Anyone in Western MA or VT is good to go.
                        Plymouth St is 272 miles.
                        Babson College is 253 miles
                        Bowdoin is 392 (almost, but not quite a flight!) (Bates is 396 miles - keep that in mind for the tournament)
                        Curry is 269 miles
                        Salem St. is 285 miles
                        Mass-Boston is 267 miles
                        Mass-Dartmouth is 287 miles.
                        Nichols College is 221 miles
                        Johnson & Wales is 259 miles
                        Salve Regina is 293 miles

So, there quality out there, if they want to hop on the bus.
                        Joe, I believe that Champs was trolling about the Utica AHL team this time, pursuant to whatever demented-logic/misplaced-anger inspiration motivated him to post on the UC thread that particular beer-fueled afternoon, or morning. There's no telling why he spends so much time here, while saying nothing pertinent... It's become even more sad than it is vexing to skim his feeble posts lately.

Anyway, while the red-herring subject of UC's OOC schedule is an popular one among his clueless ilk, the point of this recent discussion concerned the possibility of Utica College's home schedule being disrupted at some point in the future, as I'm sure you've figured-out already.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-07-2013, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                          Just a side thought too...after doing some research I see Utica is currently 23rd out of 30 teams in Average Attendance with 3,227. While it doesn't come close to the 9,240 at Hersey Utica is the ONLY AHL team whose city has a metro population under 100,000 (95,960 if you add Rome and Utica). 12 AHL Teams have over 1 million in their metro area (with Bridgeport and Worcester at 920,000+).

Having said that..
                          % of Population / Avg Attendance
                          Utica 3.36
                          St. John's 3.19
                          Lake Erie 2.66
                          Adirondack 2.41
                          Hershey 1.75
                          Rockford 1.45
                          Abbotsford 1.37
                          Binghamton 1.34
                          Manchester 1.16
                          Iowa 0.97

Congratulations on your latest brain-child.

Tell ya what, following your predictably-dubious line of reasoning to it's logical conclusion, maybe Vancouver should just site themselves at the Possum Butt Municipal Rink (capacity 100) and climb to the top of your specious rankings via selling 100% of their seats each and every night?

I suppose that you were happy to waste your time coming up with that worthless list -you do that sort of thing with alarming regularity- but it's all about absolute numbers at the pro level, you dummy.

(No offense intended.)
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-07-2013, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneers#1 View Post
                            I'm sure the Utica College parents have reliable non-biased sources that they're getting their information from I can assure you, they're wrong on that one. Once again.
                            There is indeed an "opt out" clause. I read it.
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                              There is indeed an "opt out" clause. I read it.
                              FWIW, I heard from a good source that any "opt-out" clause is not in play until after three years.

Comment

There's no telling why he spends so much time here, while saying nothing pertinent... It's become even more sad than it is vexing to skim his feeble posts lately.
                                Funny you should mention this since this is exactly how most people feel about you.

Comment

Working...
                                X